First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was staying at a friend’s house while they were gone and I was driving her truck and left my car parked for the weekend. The only time I went to start it was to move it over some. When I got out I remember everything was off. Well the next day I went to go move it again, it wouldn’t start. I’m not sure what was wrong with it. But it wouldn’t crank. Can someone please tell me whether these cars have inline fuel filters or some sort?

I have a 2018 Honda Civic Ex and this is the first time it’s done this. Not aware of getting bad gas because I fill up my car at BJ’s wholesale club and I haven’t seen anything on FB or the news about bad gas reporting. So not really sure what could have caused it to not crank.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like a simple dead battery. When was the last time the battery was replaced?
Honestly, I’m not sure because I’ve had the car since 2021. Is there a way I can check the battery to see if it’s needing to be replaced or not??

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Honestly, I’m not sure because I’ve had the car since 2021. Is there a way I can check the battery to see if it’s needing to be replaced or not??
Most auto parts stores will test batteries for free. If it's original to the car it certainly could require replacing by now. The factory battery is not known for being particularly great.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Does it turn over and just not crank/fire, or does it not turn over at all?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Cranking = motor is turning over because the starter is turning the engine
Starting = motor cranks and begins to run on its own

If the engine is not cranking, the battery voltage is most likely below 11V. Everything in the vehicle will seem to function normally, but the starter will not have enough juice to crank the engine. Get the battery tested and/or charged and start shopping for a battery.

Costco has Interstate batteries dirt cheap and they are great batteries. $100 compared to $175 at an auto parts store.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it turn over and just not crank/fire, or does it not turn over at all?
It turned over but wasn’t firing so I’m not sure if it’s something to with the starter or what. Then it started sounding rough for a bit then I turned it off and gave it a few minutes then it cranked right up. So not sure if it’s the battery, or it was a cold start or I just changed the gear to suddenly after trying to start it up the first time.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cranking = motor is turning over because the starter is turning the engine
Starting = motor cranks and begins to run on its own

If the engine is not cranking, the battery voltage is most likely below 11V. Everything in the vehicle will seem to function normally, but the starter will not have enough juice to crank the engine. Get the battery tested and/or charged and start shopping for a battery.

Costco has Interstate batteries dirt cheap and they are great batteries. $100 compared to $175 at an auto parts store.
I don’t have a Costco membership but I do have a BJ’s club membership. Will have to check there and see what they’re running.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sounds more like a fuel or ignition problem than a battery problem if it's crank no start. If it ran rough when it did fire you might want to check your plugs and coils. Make sure and disconnect the battery before doing so if you are going to do it yourself.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Likely a weak or discharged battery. It takes a higher voltage to fire the plug igniters than to slowly crank the starter/motor. I'll usually run on the second crank because, for a brief period, the voltage is high enough to initially fire the igniters while it's cranking. You can always try and jump or charge the battery to get temporary relief.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sounds more like a fuel or ignition problem than a battery problem if it's crank no start. If it ran rough when it did fire you might want to check your plugs and coils. Make sure and disconnect the battery before doing so if you are going to do it yourself.
Sounds like that’s not going to be an easy fix then? I did smell something burning but couldn’t pinpoint where it was coming from. So far it’s been running okay but still iffy. Idk if I should take it in and have them do a diagnostic or what. Don’t want to spend a ton of money for someone to take a peek and it ended up being nothing.

Civicduty75

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was staying at a friend’s house while they were gone and I was driving her truck and left my car parked for the weekend. The only time I went to start it was to move it over some. When I got out I remember everything was off. Well the next day I went to go move it again, it wouldn’t start. I’m not sure what was wrong with it. But it wouldn’t crank. Can someone please tell me whether these cars have inline fuel filters or some sort?

I have a 2018 Honda Civic Ex and this is the first time it’s done this. Not aware of getting bad gas because I fill up my car at BJ’s wholesale club and I haven’t seen anything on FB or the news about bad gas reporting. So not really sure what could have caused it to not crank.
Check the battery before you move on to anything else.
My 2017 Touring did the exact same thing, I didn't drive it for about two weeks because we kept getting pounded by snow and minus zero temps, so it basically killed the battery even though I would crank it out two or three times a week. I finally broke down and bought an Interstate Battery with 500 Cold Cranking Amps. ($150)The cars been running better than before.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Since you bought it used; I'd look for evidence of any mods under the hood or under the dash. The burning smell concerns me a little.

Also maybe look for any evidence of critters munching on the wires near the engine?

Just as a good investment (or for good luck); find a BP in your area and top off with the 91 octane.

But I agree that, sooner rather than later, you'll likely need a new battery. So often with our cars; trying to troubleshoot with a questionable battery in the mix is 50-50.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I installed an M24DC marine battery (LMMFAO, barely ?) and hooked my Dashcam up to 24hr pwr, using parking & motion sensor modes. Ended up being admitted to the hospital for almost a week and I know ER parking lots are usually busy so I'm sure motion sensor kept it on near 24/7. Freezing temps 3 of 5 days and when I got out, it started absolutely no problem whatsoever. ?
Sponsored