Car would not unlock this morning (after the trunk opened)! Locked out!

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
This morning in my garage I did my exact same routine that I've been doing for months:

1. Opened the trunk by pressing the button on the lid. But my backpack in. Closed the lid.
2. Went to the driver door to pull the handle to unlock the door.

But the door didn't unlock!

That's weird. So I fished out the remote from my pocket, and the unlock button didn't work either!

So I went back to the trunk, and the lid button stopped working too!

Strangely, the amber/orange turn signal lights were solidly lit.

I separated out the emergency key (which was hard since my leather key case was really tight) and manually unlocked the driver door. Immediately the alarm went off. I pressed the unlock button on my remote and it shut off the alarm.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored

eko2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, White Pearl
This exact thing happened to me. I think I had just closed the trunk, nothing would unlock, turn signals lit up, etc. Opened the car with my key and the alarm went off until I pressed the unlock. Then the car was fine!

I have a feeling this might only be an issue for people who decided to get the alarm :(

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The alarm I'm referring to was simply the car honking. I definitely didn't pay extra for an alarm. This is the built in one.

Dba12913

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
This just happened to me strangely.. Went in my trunk, closed it, then I was unable to get in the car after putting my hand behind the door handle. Flashers were solid. Pulled out the key from the fob and then the alarm went off.

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Cool so its not just me. <sigh> Yet another weird technology glitch.

firemist32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 RAM Eco-diesel
just happened to me as well with trunk and lights about an hour ago. Hmm...

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The right thing to do is report this to Honda so that it is logged in their system... but the thought of having to call them just drains all my energy.

firemist32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The right thing to do is report this to Honda so that it is logged in their system... but the thought of having to call them just drains all my energy.
I have not had any issues so I can call them. You have a good contact # for someone there?

OP
OP

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
No. I just call the generic Honda support number http://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations.aspx

I've had some many random HU issues... the false maintenance alarm (still unresolved), the intermittent quadruple brakes/charging/tpms/something else heart attack false alarm, this. Today my HU got stuck in voice recognition mode and I couldn't listen to any music until I restarted the car.

Buggy Buggy Buggy

firemist32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. I just call the generic Honda support number http://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations.aspx

I've had some many random HU issues... the false maintenance alarm (still unresolved), the intermittent quadruple brakes/charging/tpms/something else heart attack false alarm, this. Today my HU got stuck in voice recognition mode and I couldn't listen to any music until I restarted the car.

Buggy Buggy Buggy
I called them today and they claimed I was the first to call in with this issue. I let them know about this post on the forum and said I was not alone.

bassam.khouri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I have a base 2016 Touring. No alarm or any other feature and I experienced the issue of the key fob not working only once.

In my case, though, none of the buttons on the key fob would triggers any kind of light to be lit on the car nor would putting mynhabd on the handle unlock the car. That is, it appeared as though the key fob's battery had depleted.

I used the emergency key to get into the car, and was able to start the car without doing anything else. After that, u turned off the car and the key fob resumed its normal behavoiur. I haven't had issues since.

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Had this happen today. Nothing worked, until manually unlocked. The turn signals did look awfully nice both illuminated at the same time tho,,:love:

jburrowes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I read this thread last night and this JUST happened to me.

Every day I put my bag in the trunk then open the driver's door. I've had the car for two weeks with no issues but this just occurred. I guess I'll open it with my real key and then deactivate the alarm and hope it doesn't become a trend. A call to my dealership and Honda look like they may be in order.

zaver5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
This happened to me today as well. I have about 3500 miles on my car. My normal procedure in the morning is to put my bag in the trunk and then get into the car. I got around the issue the same way the OP did... I'll send an email to my Honda Rep today.

The only other issue I've had is trying to remote start the car. I can't figure it out at all. I want to say I did it once but for all I know I dreamed it... Any suggestions?

jburrowes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me today as well. I have about 3500 miles on my car. My normal procedure in the morning is to put my bag in the trunk and then get into the car. I got around the issue the same way the OP did... I'll send an email to my Honda Rep today.

The only other issue I've had is trying to remote start the car. I can't figure it out at all. I want to say I did it once but for all I know I dreamed it... Any suggestions?
You have to lock the car with the remote before pushing the remote start button (even if the car is already locked). I had to ask my dealer how to do it because on my old car (2013 Ford Fusion) the doors just had to be locked and I could remote start it. They said having to lock it first was an additional safety feature.
Sponsored