Car won't turn over completely after cleaning battery terminals. Any suggestions?

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
If you have confirmed that the alternator and battery are good, then it's possible that you have a component getting heat soaked and as a result, it's fouling. In modern cars, this can be an electical component under the hood, not just the air, spark, fuel magical combo needed for the engine to run.

I don't believe your fuel pump is the cause because it's in the gas tank in the rear of the car. Fuel pumps used to be up front on the engine block but those days are mostly over.

Now, not to sound like a dick but your description of the condition leaves a lot to the imagination. A video or a more precise description may lead to the root cause.
Sponsored

OP
OP

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX Made in Canada
Country flag
We need a video (or at least audio) of this happening.

If the starting attempts sound weak; it would suggest a battery or starter issue as a possible cause. But a robust, strong start attempt without firing might suggest a fuel pump delivery issue.

When my RSX had a dying starter; it did the same thing. It was strong when it was cold. But the heat from the engine running made it weak. I'd have to open the hood and let it cool a bit sometimes. But you could hear it struggling to simply turn the engine over (move the pistons and rods up and down).
It’s been very inconsistent but here’s a video where you can kind of hear it struggle to start. I’ll post another video of it not starting eventually when it happens lol it happens often so I’ll post a
If you have confirmed that the alternator and battery are good, then it's possible that you have a component getting heat soaked and as a result, it's fouling. In modern cars, this can be an electical component under the hood, not just the air, spark, fuel magical combo needed for the engine to run.

I don't believe your fuel pump is the cause because it's in the gas tank in the rear of the car. Fuel pumps used to be up front on the engine block but those days are mostly over.

Now, not to sound like a dick but your description of the condition leaves a lot to the imagination. A video or a more precise description may lead to the root cause.
Lol no you’re good, I understand. It’s very inconsistent and every time I try to record the issue, it doesn’t happen. But right now, when I turned the ignition, it didn’t start right away. It was like a 1 second pause then it turned on. I’m going to try recording this issue when it happens. Thanks!

Attachments

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm going with battery or starter. There's a hesitation/weakness with the electric powered starter motor used to 'crank' (like the old school hand cranks in front) the engine, IMO.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Also check for oil leaking onto the starter, I believe from the valve cover = several cases of this happening and it damages the starter - should be covered under drivetrain warranty

OP
OP

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like I said, it has been very inconsistent. I recently got my car serviced at Honda and tried it bring it to their attention but they said every time they turned on my car, it turned on normally. They told me to monitor it since they can’t really find out the problem without the problem happening. This happened last night. I wouldn’t say it happens when it’s cold since this happens during the day when it’s like 75 degrees (from SoCal)hope this helps

Attachments

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at any of the interlock switches?

OP
OP

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at any of the interlock switches?
Negative. I don't even know what that is to be honest. Where is it and what does it do? I'm trying to search it up right now.

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see your headlights dimming when you attempt to start. I still suspect a weak battery, personally.

OP
OP

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: My car officially stopped working on Friday so I had to get it towed. I ended up towing it Honda and they determined it was my starter. Yes, what they're quoting is VERY pricey. I'm not a big fan of an aftermarket part in my car. Or find the cheapest route to get this fixed. I'm not sure why. I rather deal with the original manufacturer since it's OEM, their techs are performing the repairs, and have it tracked in their system. I was never really into buying a cheap one from Autozone or anything either. The main thing that bothers me is how at 56k miles, my starter is worn out. The warranty was at 36k miles so this is not covered. I've always loved Honda but this really disappointed me. Lol. Thank you guys for your time on trying to help me figure this issue!

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Make sure the starter failure wasn't caused by a leaking valve cover gasket - if it was then both should be covered by the "engine" part of the warranty (5yr/60,000 miles)

OP
OP

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Make sure the starter failure wasn't caused by a leaking valve cover gasket - if it was then both should be covered by the "engine" part of the warranty (5yr/60,000 miles)
Besides a leaking valve cover gasket, would you know of any other reasons why a starter at 57k would fail early? I'm still trying to wrap my head around on why it failed. I'm hoping the leaking valve cover gasket is a reason that way I don't have to pay all this LOL

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Besides a leaking valve cover gasket, would you know of any other reasons why a starter at 57k would fail early? I'm still trying to wrap my head around on why it failed. I'm hoping the leaking valve cover gasket is a reason that way I don't have to pay all this LOL
My starter on my 2006 RSX failed at 70,000 miles (and 8 years). It's unusual; but it happens. But it was kind of a known issue amongst those cars. I bought a rebuilt one from Honda.

I've heard of this leak issue more than once on this forum. It does seem to be worth a look.

Sorry you got stranded. But glad you've got an official diagnosis. Good luck with the rest of it.
Sponsored