Car won't turn over completely after cleaning battery terminals. Any suggestions?

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX Made in Canada
Country flag
My 2018 civic just got a new battery a couple months ago and I had my alternator tested and it all checks out. My car is able to start up fine when it hasn't been running for a long time but say if I turn off my car to get gas or something, then when I try to turn on my car to leave, it won't start all the way on the first attempt but usually starts on my 3rd try. Could it be the fuel pump? I have around 55k miles on it. I haven't checked my spark plugs yet. I'll probably do this when I get home today from work. Any suggestions?

Thanks fam.
Sponsored

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
My 2018 civic just got a new battery a couple months ago and I had my alternator tested and it all checks out. My car is able to start up fine when it hasn't been running for a long time but say if I turn off my car to get gas or something, then when I try to turn on my car to leave, it won't start all the way on the first attempt but usually starts on my 3rd try. Could it be the fuel pump? I have around 55k miles on it. I haven't checked my spark plugs yet. I'll probably do this when I get home today from work. Any suggestions?

Thanks fam.
If you recently cleaned your battery terminals, your battery is new, and your alternator is good...then I would double check and make sure that the battery terminals are properly tightened and not loose.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
IIRC... The nut/bolt thingy on the battery cable terminal clamp can come apart if ya' back it out too far.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Or you put the battery in backwards and the terminals are switched.

mikes210

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7
Country flag

Thanks fam.

These are like $1 at Auto Parts stores. Dielectric grease. Helps with battery connection....

Honda Civic 10th gen Car won't turn over completely after cleaning battery terminals. Any suggestions? ags_BT1

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
When you say "turn over completely", it implies that the battery is not charging. This could be because the cables are not making complete contact. The first thing to do is remove the cables and clean both the battery terminals and the battery cables. Firmly seat the cables on the battery, and try again.

Your profile says the car is a 2018. A battery lifetime might be anywhere between 3 and 5 years. Take the battery and have it tested. The best test is what I would call the "cheese grater" test (because the thing looks like a cheese grater). This is a load test. It measures the voltage when first connected. Throw the switch and it measures voltage under load. It's either good or it's not.

More than likely, your battery is at the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced-assuming all your other diagnosis is correct.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If "turn over completely" means "cranks slowly but doesn't start" your battery could be very undercharged (many reasons: loose clamps, too much idling or running in accessory mode, etc). Letting it sit for a few hours allows the battery to recover enough to start the engine but it can't "recover" quick enought to do it again. Quick test would be to charge the battery and see if the car starts fine, for a while.

stevebinh

Stevebinh
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check the fuse under the hood, I had a blown fuse and my car wouldnt turn over but only found out after $150 diag at honda

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Fuse is not likely as it starts after "resting". Possible to be heat sensitive part but not likely. Also, was this type issue present before the battery was replaced?

Last edited:

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
Fuse is not likely as it starts after "resting". Possible to be heat sensitive part but not likely. Also, was this type issue was present before the battery was replaced?
It's probably the battery if this is the case.

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
I would agree as it's a 4 year old car now... but he just got a new battery a couple months ago per above.
Assuming the checks I suggested in a previous post were followed, then the battery would the next thing to look at. New batteries do fail.

OP
OP

vroomvroomj

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX Made in Canada
Country flag
When you say "turn over completely", it implies that the battery is not charging. This could be because the cables are not making complete contact. The first thing to do is remove the cables and clean both the battery terminals and the battery cables. Firmly seat the cables on the battery, and try again.

Your profile says the car is a 2018. A battery lifetime might be anywhere between 3 and 5 years. Take the battery and have it tested. The best test is what I would call the "cheese grater" test (because the thing looks like a cheese grater). This is a load test. It measures the voltage when first connected. Throw the switch and it measures voltage under load. It's either good or it's not.

More than likely, your battery is at the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced-assuming all your other diagnosis is correct.
Yeah, I had it tested and my battery is in good shape since I got it replaced recently. Terminals are all secured as well. I had AAA take a look at it to confirm it's the battery and my alternator and he said it wasn't those but it could be my fuel pump. Could it be that? Possibly even the starter?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
We need a video (or at least audio) of this happening.

If the starting attempts sound weak; it would suggest a battery or starter issue as a possible cause. But a robust, strong start attempt without firing might suggest a fuel pump delivery issue.

When my RSX had a dying starter; it did the same thing. It was strong when it was cold. But the heat from the engine running made it weak. I'd have to open the hood and let it cool a bit sometimes. But you could hear it struggling to simply turn the engine over (move the pistons and rods up and down).

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As said above I would look at the starter itself, Possibly something going on inside after it gets some heat into it.
Sponsored