Car won't start due to Body Control Module problem

Existential

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
Good day one and all. I am seeking some assistance on a matter concerning my Body Control Module or BCM for short.
Some details of what occurred:
On the 15th of November I proceeded to approach my vehicle after work in Trinidad. On touching the door handle the car did not unlock. I unlocked the car by pressing the unlock button on the Remote Key/keyfob (whatever is the proper name). Upon entering the car however and depressing the brake pedal and pushing the start button, I got a message on the screen saying to Place the Remote Key near the Start Button. This did not work. (Later I read this was an emergency procedure to start the vehicle in case of a dead battery in a Remote Key) This was not the case as I got a new battery for the Remote Key and and replaced it as well as getting someone to retrieve the second Remote Key from my house. Neither was picked up by the car to enable starting the car or even to automatically unlock the car upon touching the handles.

I had my car towed to the dealership where after WEEKS they found three wires spliced into some wires under the Steering Wheel area (which I found out weeks later was because the previous owner worked at Schlumberger which has a Health and Safety policy to have a Driving Pattern monitoring device installed in the vehicles of workers above a certain pay grade while on company business). Because of these wires that were previously attached to the monitoring device, the Dealership was not willing to fulfill the warranty agreement. (Although to me if the device was to cause any BCM failure it would have happened while the device was installed). I have had the car for 1 year and 7 months before this problem occurred and the previous owner had the vehicle for about 9 or 10 months.

My car was manufactured in Thailand. So the VIN or Chassis number does not come up in systems for American Dealerships. I travelled to a dealership in Long Island, NY and described the trim level of my vehicle to workers there and they recommended a Part Number of 38809-TBC-A31. When this part umber was installed in the car, the dealership says it didn't work as they weren't even get lights on the dashboard.

The part number that was originally installed in my car is 38800-TEX-U41. The dealership in Trinidad recommends I purchase 38809-TEX-U41. I cannot find this part number anywhere online. I purchased the 38809-TBC-A31 online for 212 USD. The dealership in Long Island was charging 367 USD for it. The dealership in Trinidad however wants to charge 2,467 USD to bring me the part by Airfreight which would take up to 3 weeks or 1,000 USD to bring the part by Sea freight which could take up to 5 months. I am unwilling to pay either of those prices.

Can anyone either lead me to where I can purchase a Body Control Module with the part number of 38809-TEX-U41 or can anyone explain to me if it is possible to re-write the part number 38809-TBC-A31 with the coding required for my car that was manufactured in Thailand?

Other possibly pertinent Info:
2017 Honda Civic (I am guessing an Ex version)
Transmission: CVT
Engine: R16B2 (1.6L Naturally Aspirated Engine SOHC)
VIN/Chassis Number : MRHFC5640GT060132
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, you have the part # the 38809-TBC-A31? Are the connectors different from the one in your car? If they are the same, I would just try it.

OP
OP

Existential

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
So, you have the part # the 38809-TBC-A31? Are the connectors different from the one in your car? If they are the same, I would just try it.
No the connectors are not any different. My Dealership says it doesn't work. That there are no lights on the dashboard when they install it and try to turn on the car.

Let me edit my original post to include that information.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's surprising. I wish I could help, but I don't have any information on that.

There is no other way to get something shipped to Thailand at a reasonable price?

OP
OP

Existential

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
That's surprising. I wish I could help, but I don't have any information on that.

There is no other way to get something shipped to Thailand at a reasonable price?

Shipped from Thailand...there should be. I started looking for a Buy/Sell group in Thailand on Facebook today as well as on Reddit. Going to try to find someone with the part or can get it from a Dealership there and then send/sell it to me. Kind of grasping at straws now.

OP
OP

Existential

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag

alvdan88

Daniels EX-T
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
No the connectors are not any different. My Dealership says it doesn't work. That there are no lights on the dashboard when they install it and try to turn on the car.

Let me edit my original post to include that information.
Just a update as I have my Civic at the dealer right now for this, They called me and said they will perform a software update and reprogram the Body Control Module and this usually fixes the issue if not then they will have to replace the BCM (Body Control Module). They will keep it over night and let me know in the morning what the damage is.
Sponsored