Car won’t start after changing lights

lawrencedingdong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Just swapped out the low beams and my interior lights for some leds. The lights all work and turn on but when I try to turn the engine on the gauge cluster flashes with a bunch of warnings and the car only goes into accessory mode. The brake pedal is also very hard to press, and when I do press it and turn the car on, warnings for abs and other brake related warnings pop up. I swapped the headlights back to the original and nothing has changed.
Sponsored

SangreRaven

First Name
Raven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just swapped out the low beams and my interior lights for some leds. The lights all work and turn on but when I try to turn the engine on the gauge cluster flashes with a bunch of warnings and the car only goes into accessory mode. The brake pedal is also very hard to press, and when I do press it and turn the car on, warnings for abs and other brake related warnings pop up. I swapped the headlights back to the original and nothing has changed.
Did you do this with the battery still hooked up? if so, try unhooking the battery and wait a few mins and then hook it back up. See if the car will start then, it hopefully should and then will just calibrate itself which takes virtually no time.

-R

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
My Civic's brake pedal gets stiff every startup if I leave it for a couple of hours.

Every morning, I have to exert a little effort just to start it.

Perhaps try pushing the brake pedal harder.

OP
OP

lawrencedingdong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex-T
Did you do this with the battery still hooked up? if so, try unhooking the battery and wait a few mins and then hook it back up. See if the car will start then, it hopefully should and then will just calibrate itself which takes virtually no time.

-R
Well I unplugged and plugged the batteries back in and I still have the same problems. There is barely enough battery to turn the gauges on for a couple of seconds but after that the whole car seems to have run out of power. The gauges begin flashing and there is the sound of a startup but it repeatedly starts then ends several times. When pressing the brake, I get warnings of abs, electronic brake, brake hold , etc but the car doesn’t start. I’ve had this car for 5,000 miles so it can’t be because of an old battery. Could it be that a fuse was blown when I installed my lights?

Last edited:

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Probably most likey blown fuse. Might also be parasitic draw from the LED lights that drained the battery.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
You're saying you can hear the starter?

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
possible short in a new light, drained the battery???

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
possible short in a new light, drained the battery???
I agree, short circuit with the new lights drain the battery . A new battery will do same.

Remove you new light and all new or modified wiring , charge battery and see what happen .
You don't need to connect "old " light
Sponsored