Car won’t lock if it’s running?

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (polished metal)
Hey Guys - not sure if I’m just dumb or what, but my 2018 won’t lock if the car is running. Like for example, I leave it running and get out to go in my house and hit the lock on the fob but it doesn’t actually lock (and the lights don’t flash or anything). Is this normal or do I have some setting wrong? I have the walk away lock turned on and that works great if I turn the car off before I get out, but I can’t figure out how to lock it if it’s running.
Sponsored

bunbao

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
It is normal. Put the key in the lock to lock it while it is running.
I'm curious, can u drive away without the car key/key fob in the car? in the case of the OP, if someone were to steal his car would they be able to drive it away just like that? there's no theft proof, such as the engine shutting down if no key is nearby at a certain distance/range?

OP
OP
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (polished metal)
I'm curious, can u drive away without the car key/key fob in the car? in the case of the OP, if someone were to steal his car would they be able to drive it away just like that? there's no theft proof, such as the engine shutting down if no key is nearby at a certain distance/range?
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere or saw an official Honda video that said it’ll shut off if it’s out of range of the fob.

That’s a bummer about having to use the key - I’ve never owned another car with keyless entry where it wouldn’t let you just lock it normally with the fob even while it’s running.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
If someone were to steal it, he (or she) could theoretically drive is far as they want BEFORE they turn off the car. The engine will not shut down because that is a safety hazard to people around the car, but it has a safety mechanism where if the thief were to turn off the car and try to turn it back on again, it would not start because there is no key nearby.

Rycomm

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic HB Sport 6MT Aegean Blue, among others...
Country flag
Many vehicles, mostly Japanese, do not let the keyless remote work when the ignition is on. I install remote start systems, and it is pretty common not to be able to unlock the car from the factory remote if the car is running. Most remote start manufacturers offer small add on remote for longer range and the ability to unlock while running. They are able to unlock by interfacing with the factory switch/ relays and bypassing the factory keyless system.
Sponsored