car wash and keeping your car looking pristine?

Draider87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 accord 2.0 sport manual
Country flag
I'm a soon to be owner of a 2019 CW and am already paranoid about keeping the car in good condition.

I'm probably going to install some rock guards, PPF the front (when people say PPF front, do they mean the entire front end and the hood? what about the side mirrors?)

Considering getting a ceramic coat as well
Would you ceramic coat the wheels as well?

My main question is: I don't particularly like washing/detailing my car nor am I particularly good/experienced at it.
My extend of car washes has just been wipe it down with soap + water and dry it off.

Are any of those automated car washes, with someone hand drying it after good enough? or is just doing it yourself the best way.
If so, can someone give me advice on what I should be doing to maintain its condition?
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Different shops do different things, best to ask the shop you plan on using. Mine included lights and mirror caps in their "whole front end PPF" job. On top of full hood, full fenders, and bumper.

No automated car wash is good unless its touchless. You're better off investing in an electric pressure washer, foam cannon, and wash mitt. I personally use that and the strongest electric leaf blower i could find on Amazon to dry it.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Get familiar with the 2 bucket wash method and pair it with a couple of grit guards. I have a foam king brand foam canon from amazon that works with a garden hose and gets the job done. I second the leaf blower for drying. I got the worx brand from eBay for around $35

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a soon to be owner of a 2019 CW and am already paranoid about keeping the car in good condition.

I'm probably going to install some rock guards, PPF the front (when people say PPF front, do they mean the entire front end and the hood? what about the side mirrors?) Yes PFF film the entire front end, hood and side mirrors should be good enough. Some people PFF the entire car...

Considering getting a ceramic coat as well
Would you ceramic coat the wheels as well?

Ceramic coat is a good choice. The PFF goes on first, then the car gets ceramic’d. Wheels also get ceramic coated.

My main question is: I don't particularly like washing/detailing my car nor am I particularly good/experienced at it.
My extend of car washes has just been wipe it down with soap + water and dry it off.

With a ceramic coat, pretty much no more automated car washes where it will scratch it. you will have to invest in a pressure washer + special soap, wash mitt wheel woolies, microfiber drying towels.. Wash using 2 bucket method. There are lots of youtube vids posted on the subject. I had no experience when I got my car a little over a year ago, but found it’s easy to learn and fun to do :)

A ceramic coated car likely will need a maintenance touch up once a year. I take mine to the place that did it and they charge $200.

Are any of those automated car washes, with someone hand drying it after good enough? or is just doing it yourself the best way.
If so, can someone give me advice on what I should be doing to maintain its condition?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I got a 2019 CTR CW 2 weeks ago myself, and I'm looking to do the same in about a week, by PPF the front end along with full ceramic coat.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pressure washer with foam cannon, two bucket wash and blow dry. I would put some sort of paint protection for sure. You can go with a paint sealant, wax or ceramic coating. Congratz on the CTR! Be sure to post pictures when you get it.

LSUFANDAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Civic Type R
Country flag
I got full PFF on the front of my car including side mirrors. I also installed rally armor mud flaps. Mine is garage kept. Still thinking about getting a ceramic coat. Probably wont do ceramic coat. They have some pretty fancy car protection products you can buy and apply at home. Ive been using the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine. Water beads up pretty good with it. It got really good reviews on youtube. I got two of these from walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chemical...riwP_H6c-p_19UI1vrNs9BRmwBdSG3QYaAl4eEALw_wcB

Two bucket method. I also got a power washer and foam cannon. I got a third bucket for my wheels and some good wheel brushes. Don't want to get the harsh wheel cleaner in your car wash buckets lol. I wanted to air dry my car. Thought about getting those fancy master blaster air dryers but went with a EGO 650 Battery Blower. That sucker on turbo mode will blow all the water off quick. Plus i can blow off my driveway and do yard work with it.

Last edited:

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are also Deionized water setups where no drying is needed. The DI water supposedly doesn’t leave spots. Fancy!

LSUFANDAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats btw and welcome to Type R ownership @Draider87. Great choice of car and color.

Was in your shoes a little over a year ago, for a 2018 CW.

Here is a link to washing that may help. There is alot of info documented on my journal for DIY stuff and mods if have the time or interest in checking it out.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/fatherpain’s-2018-type-r.42379/page-6#post-727511
This is a really good write up fatherpain. This is pretty much exactly how I wash my car lol.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Two bucket method a bit outdated - my best results have been the following -

- Buy a cheap power washer
- Buy a bright colored microfiber sponge (I prefer yellow)
- Spray off car once without touching it, every part, high pressure, the best you can to remove top layer dirt
- Spray down car with soap (power washer soap not regular soap it will sud too much) - no soap if you have a recent wax!!
- Now wipe each panel with the brightly colored sponge - but here's the deal - small one swipe, pass, roll the sponge so a new area is used as you move along
- Stop
- Spray off sponge with power washer until it is BRIGHT AND LOOKS NEW - you are spraying out all the sediment and dirt -
- Do another section - I work panel by panel of the car and it actually is quite quick

This is superior to two bucket or other methods as you are washing out the sediment, in real time, and can see when you are clean or not before you touch the paint again.

Once clean, dry it with method of your choice - air works - I use a sammy to drag dry water off then polish a bit with a microfiber

I don't like the bucket method because no matter what you're doing, you're dunking your sponge in a bucket of water with sediment floating in it - that = gets on sponge and onto car - scratching paint

Hope this helps - honestly the car is so small it's a whiz to clean and if you stay on top of it a touch up is like 30 mins tops

P.S. I wouldn't personally go overboard with all this protection stuff - it's a car- it's hurtling down highways at 50-100mph - little rocks and insects become missiles - stuff will happen just enjoy the car and repaint if something hits it that does significant damage. My .02 cents

Lokster

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited
Country flag
I do a foam cannon (Chemical Guys) with pressure washer. Microfiber mit to agitate foam. Spray clean with pressure washer and blow dry with leaf blower (electric high power).
I still have to manually clean the wheels and tires -- but the whole process only takes about 30 minutes.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
I am 2 years 6 months in with my daily drive CW, 26k miles in and have no protection but wash it regularly and it's still looking great. Yes I have one rock chip on the bumper back to the black plastic, few on the bonnet but on the whole it's lasted really well. The beauty of CW is it hides so many swirls and chips.

So basically of course ppf and ceramic is a great idea but you don't have to and it can still look great. I have the smart repair insurance I will use to touch up said parts, hell of a lot cheaper

Last edited:

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen car wash and keeping your car looking pristine? 1513FF2B-5C1C-4D8B-A05B-B626EA14D1B6
Washed mine last night. I prefer washing in the evening... sometimes in the morning. Water and foam doesn’t evaporate as quickly ;)

Great as dusk, early evening unless mosquitos are out in force ;)
Sponsored