Car vibrating on highway speeds, after replacing wheels.

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport (Sedan)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hello guys,

I have a problem - since i replaced rims (OEM -> Enkei T6S, same size, OEM tires) my car started to vibrate on highways (45-55 mph is light, but over 65 mph is kinda lots of vibrations). At first I wasn’t sure if it’s a roads but even on perfect one it’s the same

I went back to that shop they swapped tires from oem to aftermarket rims, they said they did balance the wheels but i feel like their equipment is not great.

I went to Honda dealership to change flat tire and told them about vibrations, they said they will check that out, they re-balanced front wheels only, but problem still exists (it’s a little better than it was before but still very annoying to drive on speeds 60+ mph)

What do you think it could be? I feel like wheels are not balanced correctly, car has only 5,000 miles, 3 tires were already replaced so they are basically brand new, and i didn’t have that issue on OEM rims :|
Sponsored

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Well you mentioned that the Honda dealer checked and rebalanced the fronts, and you said it feels better. Then I'd pay to have them check the rears just for peace of mind. It could be the tire (slipped band, bad mold, etc.), or the rim itself (out of round, casting, etc.)

If it still persists, then it would go to suspension pieces, which unless they were touched during the wheel swap shouldn't be the issue.

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well you mentioned that the Honda dealer checked and rebalanced the fronts, and you said it feels better. Then I'd pay to have them check the rears just for peace of mind. It could be the tire (slipped band, bad mold, etc.), or the rim itself (out of round, casting, etc.)

If it still persists, then it would go to suspension pieces, which unless they were touched during the wheel swap shouldn't be the issue.
That’s what i was thinking to do, also when i was putting ‘donut’ wheel after i got flat tire, i noticed that lug nuts were tightened so hard, i couldn’t un-screw them with wrench, i had to use some ‘pipe extension’ and even then i had to stand and jump on it (i’m 160lb) to un-screw all 5 lug nuts lol

I read that: “Over-tightening the wheel lug nuts places too much strain on the wheel studs, which may break the studs while installing a new tire or driving. It may also warp the brake rotors where the vehicle shakes upon braking.”

Should i try loose the lug nuts a bit before going to dealership to balance rear wheels?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I've always had to use a pipe extension to remove lug nuts put on by mechanics. But it's never caused a problem.

I would definitely get the rears wheels rebalanced. Obviously the mechanic that did them has faulty equipment since the car got better after the dealer rebalanced the fronts. So, most likely the rears also need rebalancing.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
That’s what i was thinking to do, also when i was putting ‘donut’ wheel after i got flat tire, i noticed that lug nuts were tightened so hard, i couldn’t un-screw them with wrench, i had to use some ‘pipe extension’ and even then i had to stand and jump on it (i’m 160lb) to un-screw all 5 lug nuts lol

I read that: “Over-tightening the wheel lug nuts places too much strain on the wheel studs, which may break the studs while installing a new tire or driving. It may also warp the brake rotors where the vehicle shakes upon braking.”

Should i try loose the lug nuts a bit before going to dealership to balance rear wheels?
If you have warped rotors, your steering wheel will usually shake, but only when applying the brakes. Unless they are warped really bad, but then the car would almost be undrivable.

The lugs could have been put on too tight, which will stretch the threads and could snap the stud, but shouldn't effect the drivability.

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m at Honda dealership right now, getting my wheels rebalanced, we will see if it helps - althought advisor was sceptical and he said something like ‘it could be aftermarket rims characteristics that make car vibrate’ LOL ? all of the Enkei T6S owners should feel vibrations over 60 then, i understand they want to promote driving on OEM wheels but this is biggest BS i heard here, let’s hope rebalancing helps tho

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's most likely balancing. As an aside, make sure the hubcentric rings are mounted.

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's most likely balancing. As an aside, make sure the hubcentric rings are mounted.
That’s a good point, i will check at home, that could be a reason too, but I already had tire replaced in Honda (with new rims) and wouldn’t they tell me that I have rings missing?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a good point, i will check at home, that could be a reason too, but I already had tire replaced in Honda (with new rims) and wouldn’t they tell me that I have rings missing?
You'd think so, but you never know.

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Truckinturtle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Hello guys,

I have a problem - since i replaced rims (OEM -> Enkei T6S, same size, OEM tires) my car started to vibrate on highways (45-55 mph is light, but over 65 mph is kinda lots of vibrations). At first I wasn’t sure if it’s a roads but even on perfect one it’s the same

I went back to that shop they swapped tires from oem to aftermarket rims, they said they did balance the wheels but i feel like their equipment is not great.

I went to Honda dealership to change flat tire and told them about vibrations, they said they will check that out, they re-balanced front wheels only, but problem still exists (it’s a little better than it was before but still very annoying to drive on speeds 60+ mph)

What do you think it could be? I feel like wheels are not balanced correctly, car has only 5,000 miles, 3 tires were already replaced so they are basically brand new, and i didn’t have that issue on OEM rims :|
If the vibration is in the body it's the rear tires if the vibration is in the wheel it's the front,,sounds like you threw out a wheelweight or possibly have a out of round rear tire,,I used to balance tires,,se if any shop in your area has a hunter road force balancer it uses a heavy roller to check real conditions for roundness and balance, good luck keep me posted if you improve

OP
OP
Nexus713

Nexus713

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If the vibration is in the body it's the rear tires if the vibration is in the wheel it's the front,,sounds like you threw out a wheelweight or possibly have a out of round rear tire,,I used to balance tires,,se if any shop in your area has a hunter road force balancer it uses a heavy roller to check real conditions for roundness and balance, good luck keep me posted if you improve
Yes, after they rebalanced front, car is shaking less but not on the steering wheel anymore.
Thanks for advice with that Hunter Road Force Balancer ?? Definitely will keep it in mind for the future, I’ll let you guys posted if it helped after today, maybe someone will have the same issue so this thread might help them without doing two-three trips to dealership/tire shop like i did ?

Truckinturtle

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Yes, after they rebalanced front, car is shaking less but not on the steering wheel anymore.
Thanks for advice with that Hunter Road Force Balancer ?? Definitely will keep it in mind for the future, I’ll let you guys posted if it helped after today, maybe someone will have the same issue so this thread might help them without doing two-three trips to dealership/tire shop like i did ?
Yeah stuff like that is horribly annoying,,good luck

jscm

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know a guy who used to drive a 9th gen civic that has this vibrating issue. he's got no hub rings and using oem lugs(ball seat) on aftermarket wheels. over time some of his lug bolts had sheared off and some had crossthreaded itself. that didnt bother him driving around like that. very dangerous.