Car starts up then shuts down

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
Recently purchased used 19 hatch for wife. She's a new driver and as of this morning the car went bonkers.she claimed the brakes failed and lights turned on jist around the corner so I walked down to see it, but the car would turn on for a second then shut off.

I noticed a red dot in the left side where the water temp is at, flash. Anyone ever see this?

It's been under 30 days and way too many issues with a base lx hatch for me. The eco button sticks and the screen is black. I dont think this small screen is supposed to be black even on. It shows the time and thats it

I'm about to return it and get her a new 21 ex or something
Sponsored

Sal

First Name
Sally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Recently purchased used 19 hatch for wife. She's a new driver and as of this morning the car went bonkers.she claimed the brakes failed and lights turned on jist around the corner so I walked down to see it, but the car would turn on for a second then shut off.

I noticed a red dot in the left side where the water temp is at, flash. Anyone ever see this?

It's been under 30 days and way too many issues with a base lx hatch for me. The eco button sticks and the screen is black. I dont think this small screen is supposed to be black even on. It shows the time and thats it

I'm about to return it and get her a new 21 ex or something
Brakes failed wtf? That's extremely unlikely

OP
OP

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
Brakes failed wtf? That's extremely unlikely
Being that my 17 hatch exl had electrical gremlins I'm not surprised hers may have it too.

What I don't get is why that tiny screen is all black. May be in wrong? It's normally not to show fm channels? Anything but time in upper right?

ljseppe

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T
Country flag
Isn’t that the security light? Maybe something wrong with there.

OP
OP

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
I'm thinking I'll return the lx hatch and get her a 21 ex. Well she paid 17k for it. I'm thinking a new would be worth it simply for Android auto and bigger screen

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
Maybe have them check for outstanding recalls. There was a recall for fuel pumps, which could possibly cause this issue.

OP
OP

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
To top off issues: hold and eco buttons stick down and on when pushed.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This sounds like an immobilizer related failure. Either the key is bad or the BCM (body control module) that houses the immobilizer. A bad key will allow the vehicle to run for a few seconds and then turn off, this is for diagnostic purposes so we can tell if it's fuel pump related etc. See your dealer.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Maybe have them check for outstanding recalls. There was a recall for fuel pumps, which could possibly cause this issue.
Fuel pump wouldn't be the issue. I heard stories that people are waiting months for their parts to come in (both 19MY Civics and 19MY CR-Vs) and their vehicles are still running well

This sounds like an immobilizer related failure. Either the key is bad or the BCM (body control module) that houses the immobilizer. A bad key will allow the vehicle to run for a few seconds and then turn off, this is for diagnostic purposes so we can tell if it's fuel pump related etc. See your dealer.
Would have to agree here. @barqcider - get booked in for an electric diag, express the issue could be a BCM problem and go from there

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
What a pain in the bum. I'd already have my eyes on another car, I can't stand it when they actually break down and won't drive.

I agree with the immobiliser issue suggestion. Can't you run a diagnostic via the OBD port?

Sticky buttons need to be removed and contacts cleaned with isopropanol (alcohol). I fell asleep last week holding my laptop and a drink, I briefly dosed off whilst sat upright and poured a mug of hot honey-filled-lemsip into my keyboard so I feel your sticky button pain.
Sponsored