Car starts rolling backwards uncontrollably while in neutral on a flat road.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I think you panicked when the car started rolling, and you must've pressed the clutch instead of the brake. I can't think of any circumstance where the brake pedal wouldn't have stopped the car in that situation.
Sponsored

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Wtf they brakes didn't stop it from rolling?
That's the first thing I wondered about. How the heck wouldn't the brakes stop the car!?

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Something's not right here! If you hit the brake when you were rolling back and it didn't work I'd be parking up and getting honda out.

Are you sure you weren't 1) hungover as fcuk and the world was spinning 2) you had a case of motion disorientation where something close by moves but it makes you think your moving 3) as others have said you hit the wrong pedal

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Something's not right here! If you hit the brake when you were rolling back and it didn't work I'd be parking up and getting honda out.

Are you sure you weren't 1) hungover as fcuk and the world was spinning 2) you had a case of motion disorientation where something close by moves but it makes you think your moving 3) as others have said you hit the wrong pedal
It did happen to me when sitting at a light by a bus or a truck and then the bus started moving unexpectedly as it was in the left turning lane. I had a strong illusion of going backwards and at least on one or two occasions slammed on the brakes. And my brakes didn't work! They didn't stop the bus!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It did happen to me when sitting at a light by a bus or a truck and then the bus started moving unexpectedly as it was in the left turning lane. I had a strong illusion of going backwards and at least on one or two occasions slammed on the brakes. And my brakes didn't work! They didn't stop the bus!
:eek::rofl:

OP
OP
Ziaro7

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Now thats pretty legit right here, but I had to pull myself back up the 10ft and I got honked at by an F150

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Most likely explanation is: an optical illusion on a slight incline, engine was stalled/off, and brake pedal was hard due to no "boost".

Last edited:

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
First the wheels always spin when you jack up the front of a fwd car and its on.
This normally happens one the main drive wheel. Has been like this with ever car ive worked on.
The motor connects the flywheel and clutch. The input shaft of the trans will rotate and it will roll the wheels but they can will easily be stopped

Next the whole rolling back and not stalling out.
My guess is you rolled back a bit from not leveled ground and or wind.
Next you hit the breaks. The car stopped.
But maybe the car next to you moved forward. This would make it seem as if your still moving backwards.

Vteclover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 civic si
Country flag
Sorry just saw this post today, I would go back to the same spot at night where no one was around and redoing the same thing and see if you car roll back or find a parking lot some where and test it to see if it does the same, we have brake hold for 2 to 3 second after the brake was released when you stop on the up hill position

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No optical collusion, nearly an actual collision.
I don’t think you’re crazy.
I also agree with the STI comment in that’d never happen as it’d be broken down a half mile back.

I know some things about accidents, investigating and witness testimony based on previous re-in-car-nation events.

What happened was... you accidently unconsciously pushed the clutch in. Our brains do silly things like this when bored or distracted. Sometimes feet shift off pedals and because you remember being in nuetral, that was last known contact. Knowing you braked, you continued to intently push the clutch to floor firmly and wow, kept rolling backwards, here’s how.

Deep in the panic control center of the brain, the little cigar smoking elf on duty looking at the centerfold with his feet up on the desk, suddenly had all the alarms go off! He immediately flipped switches, pushed and pulled all the levers. He got mixed up because hot ashes fell in his lap. The closest mental control said FOOT but he moved L not the R lever. Recognizing the mistake (sometimes without the awarenes of Brain owner), elf goofs can make us remember things other than how they happened and swear to it under oath too. Instant replay would show the elf also wetting himself then erasing the entire episode, replacing it with how he wanted to react, turning this into a mechanical car problem. Rewind, record, fixed!

Been there, seen that, it’s ok, wires get crossed occasionally. We’re human, deffication occurs, nobody got hurt ( except elf union pride) so recognize and move on.

Get your car checked out for peace of mind.

I tried to make this amusing to understand how powerful and sure of themselves head elves can be. They’re wrong and fib.

Between 8-9 times out of 10, it was our recollection and concerted effort for all the right reasons, wrong lever thrown upstairs but you sent the right signals; brake right, clutch left.
You also likely won’t believe it’s feasible until you watch a non-existent replay.

The perception rests your honor.
Sponsored

Last edited: