Car stalls and leaves white smoke

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback (EX)
Country flag
Okay so today I decided to take the car to the dealership I bought it from to get the tires rotated ... they told me it would take almost an hour etc. that was a lie and it almost took them two hours to do so even tho the service area was empty and no cars but mine were there.. so after I leave the dealership my car seems a bit stiff (thought they put a lot of air on the tires.. about two miles later down the road on a light I try to accelerate and my car stalls and then after a few light taps on the pedal the car manages to get back on track .. before I get home the car does it 2-3 more times but the last one was worse up a little hill incline while waiting for the light.. I then notice more smoke come out.. I do smell a burnt smell. Car runs fine just seems the acceleration just got messed up after taking it to the dealer..
Sponsored

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
what trim is it? auto or manual transmission? can you share some specifics

OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what trim is it? auto or manual transmission? can you share some specifics

It’s a cvt.... doing research online and I just see blown head gaskets / coolant being burned etc .. one more thing when I got my car back from the dealer the startup was weird too really fast and Alamogordo as if the car didn’t want to start in a way.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
what's the color of smoke? is it white check coolant levels also is the smell kind of sweet?

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
White smoke is coolant, blue is oil, and black is fuel I believe. So if it’s white check coolant level and check your oil to make sure it’s not milky. If it’s milky then you have a blown head gasket. But do not continue driving it if it’s smoking white no matter what. It’s a sign that leads to way bigger problems real quick

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In addition to all of the above...

Open the hood and look around. They may have done their usual unsolicited 'checking' of air filters and other stuff. Maybe they left the airbox open or something like that. Check to make sure your oil dipstick is still there too.

If they disconnected the battery for any reason or did a software update; that may account for the rough running. Did you get a receipt?

OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
White smoke is coolant, blue is oil, and black is fuel I believe. So if it’s white check coolant level and check your oil to make sure it’s not milky. If it’s milky then you have a blown head gasket. But do not continue driving it if it’s smoking white no matter what. It’s a sign that leads to way bigger problems real quick

Checked the oil and it’s not milky which seems like a good sign I still gotta double check around and def need to top off the coolant .. they supposedly did the multi point inspection which I’m not even sure they really do it but also they might have touched something other than that it still doesn’t make any sense for my car to not wanna accelerate and stall for a couple seconds right after I just got a tire rotation

Last edited:
OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In addition to all of the above...

Open the hood and look around. They may have done their usual unsolicited 'checking' of air filters and other stuff. Maybe they left the airbox open or something like that. Check to make sure your oil dipstick is still there too.

If they disconnected the battery for any reason or did a software update; that may account for the rough running. Did you get a receipt?

Just says they did the tire rotation and the multi point inspection .. don’t get why my car is acting like that after a tire rotation

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
They must have messed up something around the intake when they pulled out the air filter....
Or maybe you messed up, and then you went in just for a tire rotation :rolleyes: to blame the dealer.....very clever...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They must have messed up something around the intake when they pulled out the air filter....
Or maybe you messed up, and then you went in just for a tire rotation :rolleyes: to blame the dealer.....very clever...:thumbsup:

That could’ve been a possibility but my car was not stalling or and leaving smoke way before I took it to the dealer to have it serviced.

Ohh uhh no lmfao .. I wouldn’t dare my car was running fine without leaving all that smoke and stalling when trying to accelerate from a stop . Gotta check everything I can under the hood to see if they touched something.. hopefully something wasn’t busted or whatever and atleast I’m still under warranty so hopefully it’s fixable. If not something I can fix maybe like something left unplugged.

OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took out the spark plugs today and only the 4th one was dry the rest were wet.. supposedly it could be unburned gas ???

Honda Civic 10th gen Car stalls and leaves white smoke C2B9BD9F-A83A-48FF-9142-2C6D900685E6

Honda Civic 10th gen Car stalls and leaves white smoke C2E70579-7344-42C5-A8BC-F283DFED03B7

Honda Civic 10th gen Car stalls and leaves white smoke 3B1561B7-FFC8-433F-B121-982A96CB86F2

Honda Civic 10th gen Car stalls and leaves white smoke C034ACEC-1B35-491F-B8FD-9814F3FB7AC9

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took out the spark plugs today and only the 4th one was dry the rest were wet.. supposedly it could be unburned gas ???

C2B9BD9F-A83A-48FF-9142-2C6D900685E6.jpeg

C2E70579-7344-42C5-A8BC-F283DFED03B7.jpeg

3B1561B7-FFC8-433F-B121-982A96CB86F2.jpeg

C034ACEC-1B35-491F-B8FD-9814F3FB7AC9.jpeg
You sure that smoke is white and not blue? That looks like oil on those plugs. Oil gives off a bluish grey smoke. You definitely got an issue

OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You sure that smoke is white and not blue? That looks like oil on those plugs. Oil gives off a bluish grey smoke. You definitely got an issue

I’m 100% sure it’s white smoke and since yesterday That I checked the spark plugs and topped off the coolant even the air filter which only the spark plugs were the things that I found odd.. coolant was still blue and didn’t look discolored or anything... I’ll Be taking it back in to the dealership tomorrow for my appointment.. I’m atleast expecting a blown head gasket... talk about trying to baby the thing ... 18.5k miles in 15 months with a blown head gasket.. honestly I’m having bad luck with this car .. so many issues or problems with it .

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m 100% sure it’s white smoke and since yesterday That I checked the spark plugs and topped off the coolant even the air filter which only the spark plugs were the things that I found odd.. coolant was still blue and didn’t look discolored or anything... I’ll Be taking it back in to the dealership tomorrow for my appointment.. I’m atleast expecting a blown head gasket... talk about trying to baby the thing ... 18.5k miles in 15 months with a blown head gasket.. honestly I’m having bad luck with this car .. so many issues or problems with it .
That’s the kind of luck I would probably have if I bought a turbo for myself. But since I bought the turbo for my girlfriend she will have better luck than me. 2.0 Vtec is for me. Sorry to hear that happened. But don’t drive that thing anymore unless it’s straight to the shop because they might be able to save it

OP
OP
Launcher

Launcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s the kind of luck I would probably have if I bought a turbo for myself. But since I bought the turbo for my girlfriend she will have better luck than me. 2.0 Vtec is for me. Sorry to hear that happened. But don’t drive that thing anymore unless it’s straight to the shop because they might be able to save it

honestly I really didn’t push it past 2.5 k rpms only 2-3 times maxed at 3k rpms but other than that I’ve tried not to push it ..and honestly I agree I made an appointment to the dealer tomorrow gotta explain all this they’ll probably say I’m crazy when I tell them it started acting like this after I got my car from them Friday
Sponsored