Car stalled on flooded road, battery is good, engine won’t turn.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do you have a cold air intake? I really don't see how you'd have gotten that much water in the engine with the stock airbox.
Sponsored

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
The stock airbox goes down before it comes back up. Probably got sucked through the cracks. Never drive through flooded anything.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Did you open up your honeycomb vents on your bumper? Looks like it from the photo. This may have made it easier for water to enter the engine bay and possibly into the air filer if you had a CAI.

Seems like he has a Type R replica bumper

OP
OP

Deto

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Did you have those cold air intakes installed? Water didn’t look that high from the photo
yes i did, the inside fender was ripped off and the cai sucked a bunch of water in...

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Yikes. Given the new info; I'm not optimistic for the engine. But I'm not a mechanic.

Fingers crossed for ya'.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
That’s kind of your own fault with the intake. I say this as a person that has hyrdrolocked before and got my car totaled once.

I have intakes on my car(s) currently, but they don’t have hydrolock risk because they are not by the fender well area.

Hope the insurance claim gets approved. I would almost think they might have a chance to reject the claim due to the intake.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
yes i did, the inside fender was ripped off and the cai sucked a bunch of water in...
I figured you must have had a CAI. I doubt that would have happened with the stock airbox. Hopefully insurance approves your claim, keep us posted.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
With a CAI I'd be surprised if insurance approved the claim

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
With a CAI I'd be surprised if insurance approved the claim
They would have to prove the CAI was the culprit most likely. Im guessing they would probably just end up covering it.

OP
OP

Deto

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
770F2576-D5B5-4DF8-9ABE-64CB30B480EF.jpeg

As you can tell here is my beautiful civic which i never got to showcase here on the civic x forums. I was coming home from work and didn’t expect the water to be so high, when i drove through i heard a bunch of water going through my car. I heard a bunch of dings and i looked at the dash and tons of lights were on. The next thing i knew i looked up and my car wasn’t moving anymore. I turned it off and then back on again to turn on hazards as the road was very busy. I ended up trying to start my engine not realizing my foot was on the break...So i think i flooded my engine with water but i’m not really sure. Has anybody else gone through something like this? My car has a few mods so it’s not stock at all. But i wanna know what the likely hood is if my car will survive or not. Any info anyone may have helps. Thanks in advance.
***UPDATE: So i am getting a new engine, the original was filled with water...My insurance is going to cover it, they are getting a used engine with 15000 miles on it which is half of what my current engine had, and the new engine will also come with a lifetime warranty and a new turbo. I will only be paying my deductible and the insurance company was actually very pleased to see the "general upkeep and maintenance" done to my vehicle. Im assuming she is talking about the mods i have done but i have also not every disclosed them, i know it is a risk in doing so however it does not really matter as it all worked out in the end i suppose.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I'm surprised your insurance would cover it. Here, they woulnd't cover damage caused by aftermarket parts unless you let them know all the mods first before you buy insurance, which generally means higher premiums.

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
Thank you for your quick reply, this happened around 3pm and i had the car at the dealership by 5. I know its not the absolute quickest time, but after spending an hour pushing it with 3 complete strangers across the long stretch of the road in shin deep water to get it in a spot for a tow. Those guys were a huge help and offered them a meal for their time and everything but they declined. I will post updates here as i get them and hope that it would just be a electrical issue. Thanks again.
That's some wholesome to read. Good luck with the car.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow, I'm surprised your insurance would cover it. Here, they woulnd't cover damage caused by aftermarket parts unless you let them know all the mods first before you buy insurance, which generally means higher premiums.
IMHO, the damage was caused by driving on a flooded road. While the CAI may have played a role in assisting water get into the engine, it didn't directly cause the damage.
Sponsored