Car overheating problem what can it be?

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Hey need help with my car. It would randomly over heat. I do here a swishing noise in the dashboard could it be a leak? Or is it just the coolant is low? I have a Honda Civic 2016 ex
Sponsored

OP
OP

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Hey need help with my car. It would randomly over heat. I do here a swishing noise in the dashboard could it be a leak? Or is it just the coolant is low? I have a Honda Civic 2016 ex
it randomly happen once and then went back to normal while I was driving. But today when I went to work haven’t had a chance to look at it.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
it randomly happen once and then went back to normal while I was driving. But today when I went to work haven’t had a chance to look at it.
You definitely need to check if the coolant level is low. And don't drive the car if it overheats. You will ruin the engine.

OP
OP

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
You definitely need to check if the coolant level is low. And don't drive the car if it overheats. You will ruin the engine.
does it sound like my coolant is just low? It’s just randomly heats. Happened twice in about 2 weeks

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Likely low coolant level and "swishing noise" is quite likely air in the cooling loop - Did you recently change your coolant?
There is a definite procedure to to prevent/remove air - briefly:
Ensure car is near level, front can be slightly elevated.
With cool/cold engine, open expansion/overflow tank cap, ensure antifreeze level is between min & max.
Put cap on loosely and run motor until cooling fan operates through 2 cycles. Leave AC OFF.
Turn off engine, fill expansion tank to near max. Reinstall cap.

OP
OP

Envy Eddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Likely low coolant level and "swishing noise" is quite likely air in the cooling loop - Did you recently change your coolant?
There is a definite procedure to to prevent/remove air - briefly:
Ensure car is near level, front can be slightly elevated.
With cool/cold engine, open expansion/overflow tank cap, ensure antifreeze level is between min & max.
Put cap on loosely and run motor until cooling fan operates through 2 cycles. Leave AC OFF.
Turn off engine, fill expansion tank to near max. Reinstall cap.
Was able to check and doesn’t look like it has any coolant at all. Don’t remember the last time I change it but is it normal to not have any? Also I find it weird it didn’t overheat before

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not normal but an air lock prevents fluid circulation and can allow thermostat to show Hot - fill tank and see if it will "drink" and refill cooling loop.
(You can follow prior post to remove air.) Unless you have a leak it's most likely just low in the tank.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
Could be air bubbles in the system, but my civic never overheated with swishing noise and low coolant. I topped it off and the swishing noise is still there when the ac is on. This expansion tank setup with no bleed screws is a pita to get all the air out.
Sponsored