Arithen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey everyone,

Long-story-short, I've never had much experience with cars, but always loved when people modded them. I'd like to do everything myself so I can really get to know my way around them.

I'm picking up a Gen 10 within the next month; either the sedan touring, or the Hatchback Sports Touring. Unfortunately, I can't do a Si because other people will be driving it who can't drive a manual.

I plan on swapping out wheels, getting a tuner, and changing up the exhaust.

The question is: What are the potential negatives of swapping the stock exhaust with an aftermarket one (other than potentially lowering resale value down the line), and what are some key things I should be looking for in one?

I'm primarily interested in just customizing the vehicle, not as a means to creating some wicked track beast (although, I'll take the extra HP if it comes)
Sponsored

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Only negative I can think off of top of my head would be drone noise at certain RPM's. I know other people who have swapped exhausts can chime in better than me since I have not swapped my exhaust on my Civic.

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
Potential drone and annoying your neighbors the only two negatives I can think of haha.

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Basedgawd16

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
I'd say go with the tune first then exhaust
car will be more fun to drive

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Don't be a douche, mate. It's not cool. Sure it's your car, but it's their residence. Their right to quiet enjoyment. That, and it gives us all a bad name.
I fully understand where you are coming from. I was just trying to make a joke/laugh moment, and it seems to have struck a chord. I'm sorry for that.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
- waste of money
- worse performance
- looking like an 18 year old ricer kid
- getting laughed at by people with real sports cars
- annoying sound like you have a beehive in your trunk
Completely disagree.

OP: Well-made exhausts are tuned for the car + sound. They’re more expensive, but worth it, and you can find a variety of sounds you like or dislike. Furthermore, they look nice, and often draw respect from folks across the car world.

OP
OP

Arithen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
- waste of money
- worse performance
- looking like an 18 year old ricer kid
- getting laughed at by people with real sports cars
- annoying sound like you have a beehive in your trunk
Fortunately, I have zero concern with what others think about my taste.

The performance thing is interesting. I was under the impression that aftermarket exhausts were intended to increase performance, and sound was secondary?

OP
OP

Arithen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Completely disagree.

OP: Well-made exhausts are tuned for the car + sound. They’re more expensive, but worth it, and you can find a variety of sounds you like or dislike. Furthermore, they look nice, and often draw respect from folks across the car world.
I appreciate the response. Any specific brands I should consider for their quality? Any that I should avoid?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I appreciate the response. Any specific brands I should consider for their quality? Any that I should avoid?
Reputable companies we all discuss on here, like 27won, MAperformance, RV6, Mishimoto, Greddy, HKS, etc. Look at the materials used during construction, such as stainless steel or titanium, and look at the quality of the build itself, like the welds. Also, viewing a bunch of Videos on YT can help, but you’ll need to cross-reference those with real-world experiences on here. To a certain extent, exhaust tone is subjective; one person’s experience of “drone” could be much more subtle for someone else.
Sponsored