1.5T Car mechanic from the Honda dealership changes gear before coming to a full stop (CVT)

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure any of you actually watched the video. I can guarantee 99% of you pull out of a parking spot at the store, driveway, whatever, and come to a very slow roll with no throttle and change gears. Hardly nobody comes to a complete stop unless your 75yo and have to stop and look at the shifter. The torque converter absorbs all that shock and then some, the same as if you rolled backwards on a hill before pressing the gas. It's not doing any damage at all, not even the slightest. The car has more stress on the CVT pulling the 3000lb car 70 on the highway than what the tech did.
We all watched the video. Looks like I’m 75 years old.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
one time on my old ‘17 touring i was shifting back to d from L (at 45 mph mind you) and pushed too hard into R, car was totally fine.
with the way the cvt works, it just revved the engine way up to let me know that i messed up.
felt like a downshift from fourth to second in terms of engine braking (not breaking).

car drove just the same after for 20k+ miles until i traded up for my Si.
That's very interesting, I always thought something like this would end up in a total loss of the CVT.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@tacocat
Alright, thats good to hear. I caught myself from time to time not coming to a full stand still with manual transmission cars. When I wanted to do a fast parking maneuver for example.

But I always tried avoiding that on all automatic transmission cars and DSG and CVT cars as well.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's very interesting, I always thought something like this would end up in a total loss of the CVT.
i suppose they (honda) thought more than twice when making the shifter the way they did. and you only have to press the button to push it into reverse; no lockout at speed.
Sponsored