Gerry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hi guys I noticed whenever I'm parked and I have the heat on my car is barely giving out heat when the weather is cold, even when the ect is already fully warmed up when I'm driving and then if I park the heat is fading away into cold, I've had previous cars that didn't do this, is this a honda thing?
Sponsored

Tank5670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Hi guys I noticed whenever I'm parked and I have the heat on my car is barely giving out heat when the weather is cold, even when the ect is already fully warmed up when I'm driving and then if I park the heat is fading away into cold, I've had previous cars that didn't do this, is this a honda thing?
From my experience, It’s relatively normal. My Honda does it too

OP
OP

Gerry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Country flag
From my experience, It’s relatively normal. My Honda does it too
Wow that kinda sucks, because here it gets really cold at least for me -20 C sucks that I can't parked the car on and get some heat while sipping a cup of tim hortons

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Wow that kinda sucks, because here it gets really cold at least for me -20 C sucks that I can't parked the car on and get some heat while sipping a cup of tim hortons
Yeah, the small engine can compete with -20C. Hold the revs around 2000 rpm occasionally while you’re sipping your timmy’s.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In a way... this would be because the engine is more efficient than older designs.

+1 keep the RPMs up while sitting. Also... recirculate the cabin air rather than draw from outside air.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep the fan about half speed. My car does it too.

joe3456789

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I only use front defrost! It keeps me super hot lol. I've been doing this for years in all of my cars. Try it, you'll never got back.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
I've personally never had this happen, my car puts out so much heat from the vents it burns and almost feels like it's going to melt the turn signal stalk lmao. Then again where I live it gets cold but not really -4c cold (without wind chill), lowest is usually around 10f, it does go below but uncommon.

Make sure you put it on recirc so you're not heating up ice cold air from the outside, you're progressively heating up heated air from the cabin.

On a side note, starting up your car when it's below freezing is an experience lol. Everything about the car sounds different due to the shrinking, hinges on the car door, the sound it makes when it closes, the starter, the engine, all of that. When it's nice and warm though it's good lol.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
My heater is weak too. I found out heat only comes out through the lower vents.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only use front defrost! It keeps me super hot lol. I've been doing this for years in all of my cars. Try it, you'll never got back.
I believe that turns on the a/c compressor. I don't want to run it continuously.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My ECT will actually start dropping from 175 when I idle parked on cold days. I've seen it drop from 175 to 15x on idle.

Side note please help!
My rear floor vents have never worked since day one on 19 sedan. It's hell for the kids and my center tunnel gets super hot. Presumably from all the heat that isn't coming out the under seat floor vents.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here in Wpg the needle will drop colder when at a red light. The engines are too efficient. My in laws have a 2020 RAV4 and that car struggles a lot to remotely warm up and it doesn’t give much heat. Worse than ours and that engine is bigger.

OP
OP

Gerry

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Country flag
Yeah but it's -15C here, the heat dropp rapidly when you're parked or idle

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The main underlying cause of this (or so I've read) is because the coolant not only runs thru the engine block and head, but also the intake manifold. This is to help bring down the temp of the air coming from a hot turbo charger ... and at idle, that turbo isn't giving off as much heat, and it's a small water pump ... so coolant temp will drop. I don't have any really good experience with this (I live in north Florida, where temps rarely drop below 30 F) but I've read about it plenty of times on this forum.
Sponsored