First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a '14 Si that had battery problems from brand new. Eventually replaced it with a Kirkland battery from Costco and all was good. Try that. Worst case scenario if it doesn't solve it is return the battery for a refund. I'd do that before paying out any more diagnostic fees to another dealer.
That is a good idea...Costco they take back anything and if you pay with your Costco credit card you don't even need a receipt...I love shopping there.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I had a similar problem. I googled all over to learn how to test for a "parasitic load". Which circuit was draining my battery? I have an after market stereo and dash cam that I suspected first. This is how to do it:
https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

In the end, I was a complete moron. I hadn't tightened the bolt on the negative terminal hard enough. Those things can't have any play in them at all.

Kids in dealer shops are the same as anywhere these days. The ones who do want to work are overworked and undertrained. It's best to double check them.
Thanks, yeah I am planning to do a parasitic draw test myself this weekend. I found a YouTube video about a way to do it without pulling the fuses that, according to the video, is better but more time consuming. Iā€™ll also check out the battery connections. Iā€™m considering getting the battery tested at Oriellyā€™s today just to get another opinion on the battery itself. Thing is, Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll have to jump my car again to get there. Ugh.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
That is a good idea...Costco they take back anything and if you pay with your Costco credit card you don't even need a receipt...I love shopping there.
yeah so if I bought a Costco battery, I could keep my current one and return the Costco one no questions asked? That sounds like a good option!

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
These people told you to idle your car 5 minutes everyday to fix your issue? What a bunch of morons...šŸ˜²
Right?! I had just turned around part way on a trip because the computer screen wasnā€™t powered on after 30 minutes of driving. I felt like I was brushed off and was not a happy camper. Thankfully my car made it up the mountain, so I guess the alternator isnā€™t the problem.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Surprising update: I just plugged the solar charger into the cig lighter and the green light was flashing. This indicates the battery is charging. I wonder if it will stop working now that my key isnā€™t nearby or maybe I just found the source of the patristics draw?

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, you are saying the car is off (not in accessory mode), but the cigarette/accessory outlet still has power?

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
So, you are saying the car is off (not in accessory mode), but the cigarette/accessory outlet still has power?
Yes! The car is off (has been for about 48 hours now) and the charging light is flashing on the solar panel.

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think I found my gremlin. I soldered my amp's remote wires/input wires into the factory sub connector so I could run it in tandem with my big sub. The vibrations must have been working that solder loose for the past 4 years and a strand or two or a piece of solder might have shorted it. I ordered a harness adapter and I'll have to do it the right way, but since I jiggled that harness and my amp wires came loose from it, the issue has been resolved.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I think I found my gremlin. I soldered my amp's remote wires/input wires into the factory sub connector so I could run it in tandem with my big sub. The vibrations must have been working that solder loose for the past 4 years and a strand or two or a piece of solder might have shorted it. I ordered a harness adapter and I'll have to do it the right way, but since I jiggled that harness and my amp wires came loose from it, the issue has been resolved.
Glad you figured it out!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Yes! The car is off (has been for about 48 hours now) and the charging light is flashing on the solar panel.
I know GM's have power to the cigarette lighter socket with the vehicle off. Honda's don't though. Wonder if the previous owner rigged it up to always have power, maybe for a dash cam?

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I know GM's have power to the cigarette lighter socket with the vehicle off. Honda's don't though. Wonder if the previous owner rigged it up to always have power, maybe for a dash cam?
I was thinking the same. I think I might have a cigarette lighter phone charger somewhere unless I threw it out. If my phone charges with the car off then I will know for sure it isnā€™t just the solar panel tweaking.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not normal - any chance the car has an aftermarket stereo or amp installed - they can sometimes be installed incorrectly and be ON even when the vehicle is shut off. If your car was "certified by Honda" it should have a 7yr/100k mile warranty. in any event take it back in, perhaps to another dealer.

100 % right
I won't return to a dealer who said : " They told me this is normal and happening even to 2022s that sit for under a week"

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Kind of odd how running your car for 5 minutes a day is the solution. The OEM batteries were not that good. Mine died after 2 years and someone else I know theirs failed within that same time frame. I think it even lasted less than 2 years.

Put in an aftermarket instead and have not had any issues. The information the current dealer is giving you is very bad advice. I've had my car sit for 6 weeks and start fine.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Canadian Civic may use better battery. Our 2 family Civc, 2016 and 2018, sometime sit 2-3 weeks

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes! The car is off (has been for about 48 hours now) and the charging light is flashing on the solar panel...
If the battery is taking a charge through 12 vdc power plug, with the car OFF, then the BCM (body control module) is a prime suspect in killing your battery. The vehicle is not powering down correctly and may be stuck in the ACCESSORY or ON mode.
Sponsored