First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi all,

I bought a 2018 certified pre-owned Civic in December 2021. The car had no issues starting until April of this year. The original battery died in April and again in May. After it died in May, I had it replaced even though the dealership said the health tested good.

The new battery has died twice now. I had the car checked for a parasitic draw at the dealership and had the alternator and starter checked TWICE. They found no problems. They told me this is normal and happening even to 2022s that sit for under a week. They instructed me to turn my car on for 5 minutes every day. From all the reading I have done, it would take a lot more than 5 minutes of idling to charge the battery. I donā€™t want to have to run my car every day, thatā€™s ridiculous.

I am at a loss. Is there something else that could be wrong? Is this really normal for people who donā€™t drive daily? I ordered a solar battery minder that connects to the cigarette lighter but then read today that wonā€™t work. I donā€™t have a garage and would need to run a long extension cord to use a regular charger. Please help!
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not normal - any chance the car has an aftermarket stereo or amp installed - they can sometimes be installed incorrectly and be ON even when the vehicle is shut off. If your car was "certified by Honda" it should have a 7yr/100k mile warranty. in any event take it back in, perhaps to another dealer.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Not normal - any chance the car has an aftermarket stereo or amp installed - they can sometimes be installed incorrectly and be ON even when the vehicle is shut off. If your car was "certified by Honda" it should have a 7yr/100k mile warranty. in any event take it back in, perhaps to another dealer.
Appreciate the input! I was not told of any aftermarket parts when I bought it. I have been taking it to a dealership closer to my house, itā€™s not the one I bought it from. I might have more luck taking it to the one I purchased it from, though Iā€™m not thrilled to pay to have someone else run the same tests.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The selling dealer is more likely to not charge to take a look at it - and I'd expect at least a 1 year full vehicle coverage for anything on a certified pre-owned Honda. FYI Honda replacement batteries have a full 3yr free replacement warranty. And they may have better techs.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
The selling dealer is more likely to not charge to take a look at it - and I'd expect at least a 1 year full vehicle coverage for anything on a certified pre-owned Honda. FYI Honda replacement batteries have a full 3yr free replacement warranty. And they may have better techs.
I believe the powertrain is covered to 7 years/ 100,000 miles. Non power train is covered up to 4 years/ 48,000 miles. Iā€™m under the limit for both which is good! I will set up an appointment.

I wonder if the battery would be covered even if it is ā€œgoodā€ according to their tests.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your first battery made it ~4 years? That's great. Mine lasted 2.

My guess is your 2nd battery is simply a dud. Take it back where you bought it and swap it for a different one. I bet your issues will go away. These batteries nowadays suck, very hit or miss sometimes.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Your first battery made it ~4 years? That's great. Mine lasted 2.

My guess is your 2nd battery is simply a dud. Take it back where you bought it and swap it for a different one. I bet your issues will go away. These batteries nowadays suck, very hit or miss sometimes.
Itā€™s possible that is the cause. It just seems strange the last battery was testing as good, and after the swap the problem has continued in a very similar fashion. I think jumping the new battery so often might have ruined it or will soon. Would a warranty cover a battery if the battery tests as fine at the place it was purchased?

dantwan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm having the same problem with a couple weeks old AGM battery, did you get an AGM battery by chance? This is my first one and I've read that they can act strangely with different charging systems but it was recommended at O'reilly's website for my civic so I thought I'd give it a shot since I do have an aftermarket sub, which was working great on a $90 AC Delco standard lead acid battery.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I had a '14 Si that had battery problems from brand new. Eventually replaced it with a Kirkland battery from Costco and all was good. Try that. Worst case scenario if it doesn't solve it is return the battery for a refund. I'd do that before paying out any more diagnostic fees to another dealer.

Jazzman0718

First Name
Fitz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a similar problem. I googled all over to learn how to test for a "parasitic load". Which circuit was draining my battery? I have an after market stereo and dash cam that I suspected first. This is how to do it:
https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

In the end, I was a complete moron. I hadn't tightened the bolt on the negative terminal hard enough. Those things can't have any play in them at all.

Kids in dealer shops are the same as anywhere these days. The ones who do want to work are overworked and undertrained. It's best to double check them.

OP
OP

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm having the same problem with a couple weeks old AGM battery, did you get an AGM battery by chance? This is my first one and I've read that they can act strangely with different charging systems but it was recommended at O'reilly's website for my civic so I thought I'd give it a shot since I do have an aftermarket sub, which was working great on a $90 AC Delco standard lead acid battery.
I got whatever the dealership recommended ($215 battery). I would have to check the type to know for sure, but I have heard Honda batteries suck. Maybe thatā€™s all it is!
Sponsored