[Car and Driver] 2016 Honda Civic Sedan Long-Term Road Test Wrap-Up

internalaudit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
Have all the below complaints been fixed in the 2017 Civic? It's mostly infotainment issues and Honda Sensing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-honda-civic-sedan-long-term-test-review

HIGHS
Mighty yet miserly powertrain, engaging handling, worry-free reliability.

LOWS
Frustrating ergonomics, oversensitive driver-assist features, better versions of the Civic exist.

The Good

Riding on Honda’s front-wheel-drive platform shared with the latest Accord and CR-V, the tenth-generation Civic is a satisfying return to sporty yet accessible dynamics. Its logbook quickly filled with compliments about the driving experience. “Impressive Civic: sharp steering, firm brakes, comfortable ride quality, turbo thrust, and great fuel economy,” wrote deputy online editor Dave VanderWerp early in the Honda’s tenure.

Those good impressions lasted all the way until the end, tempered only slightly by elevated tire noise on the highway that persisted with both the original-equipment Firestone FT140 all-season tires and the Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires we installed for the colder months.

While we’ve bemoaned numerous CVTs over the years for their droning, unresponsive natures, this transmission type is at its best when matched with torquey turbo engines that don’t require a trip all the way up the tachometer to unlock some verve. Numerous staffers praised the Civic’s quick-witted and linear CVT, with reviews editor Josh Jacquot going so far as to say, “This is one of the best CVT/four-cylinder combos on the market today.” Combined with its aforementioned 35-mpg average (and several 40-plus-mpg stints on highway trips), this powertrain is a convincing sign that Honda has adapted its engineering know-how to the turbo era, despite the company’s long history of high-revving, naturally aspirated engines.

The Bad

But Honda should have focused more on quality than quantity in this area. The majority of negative comments in our Civic’s logbook focused on either the frustrating operation of the infotainment touchscreen and its accompanying touch-capacitive controls or the questionable calibration of the active-safety features included in the Honda Sensing package that bundles the above safety features. (Honda Sensing is standard equipment on Touring models like ours but costs $1000 extra on lesser Civics.)

Complaints ranged from annoyance about the lack of volume and tuning knobs (a mistake that Honda has fixed on its subsequent models—and hopefully will fix when the Civic gets a mid-cycle refresh) to anxiety about the adaptive cruise control’s ability to adequately slow down to avoid a collision with the vehicle ahead. We also noticed frequent and bothersome false alarms from the forward-collision warning, and switching the system’s distance setting from Normal to Short didn’t help.

We found work-around solutions to these irritating features, meaning that we figured out ways to avoid using them entirely. Plugging in our smartphones to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto eliminated the need to navigate the convoluted menu structure of the infotainment system, while a long press of the gap-adjust button on the steering wheel deactivated the cruise control’s adaptive function in favor of good-old trusty normal cruise control. So, we wouldn’t recommend optioning your Civic with these costly extras.
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
They're absolutely right about the infotainment UI. It needs a serious overhaul, and I don't think Honda, who is still a traditional car company and not a computer company, is willing to do it. If I had gotten a Sport model instead, I would've driven it straight from the dealer to a stereo shop to get a CarPlay-compatible system installed.

Honda Sensing in my Sport Touring HB has been solid, though. The forward-collision warning beeped at me a couple times today but didn't interfere with the braking I was already doing. And I'm not sure what their worry is about the adaptive cruise -- it slows down all by itself to zero MPH in rush hour traffic around here.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I don't see it there, but didn't they dislike the seats as well? Wasn't there a Civic owner with 60k plus miles who got rid of his car because he that hated those same two attributes? (Seats and infotainment) Not a huge deal if you don't drive much but do 25k plus a year and those so called bad items become absolutely terrible. (Not sure he had sensing.)

The seats and infotainment items are an easy fix for Honda. Who knows if they'll do it or not. Stereo sound doesn't seem impressive in any of the trims sans maybe the highest.
Sponsored