arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
DISCLAIMER: I am not a tuner and I'm still new with tuning. Appreciate your feedback if you'd like to share your thoughts to improve my calibration.

I contacted CAPTS back in November and we discussed about turbocharger upgrade. After the discussion, I decided to get the Stage-2.

I like stock low end power but I believe there is potential if we have more robust connecting rods and slightly bigger turbo. CVT of course is my limiting factor, as well as fuel. As we know, base 1.5T hatchback connecting rods are fragile and fuel system/parts is inferior compare to Civic SI.

Long story short, I upgraded connecting rods, and install CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger. Parts installation completed in January and I took some "break in" time just to be on the safe side before tuning.

My aim was to maintain overall low end powerband of stock 1.5T and push the power starting 4000 RPM to maintain CVT reliability.

I tuned the car by myself and I tune for moderate power rather than maximum power. You can tell from the dyno result attached there is still room to play for more power.

Tuning platform: KTuner V 1.2
Engine modification parts:
  • CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger
  • PRL catless downpipe
  • Custom 2.5 inch front pipe
  • Stock exhaust
  • Stock intake with Sprint Filter filter replacement
Fuel: 98 RON
Ambient Temp: 33 celcius (Dyno environment ambient temperature)

Datalog attached for your reference.

Result:
The workshop owns 2 dynamometers, Dastek and Dyna Pack. We did a test run on both dyno last year using my car to see dyno result difference between Dastek & Dyna Pack. We know Dastek is showing higher number than Dyna Pack as Dastek software is programmed to show converted on engine result. We did this twice. Running using stock calibration and custom calibration. Unfortunately torque cannot be directly converted without sacrificing accuracy too much.

Long story short, Dyna Pack is showing 30 HP lesser vs. Dastek.

I'm not a fan of converting BHP to WHP or one dyno with another dyno but I would rather use an absolute conversion that I have tested rather than using "internet formula"

I'm happy with the result. In terms of delta, the turbo upgrade and calibration resulting in 22 HP peak power higher vs. previous calibration.

Dastek measured 261 HP peak power and 309 Nm peak torque. This is approx. 230 Dyna Pack HP.

In terms of drivability, low to mid RPM power band is similar as stock and power start to come in from 4000 RPM. Now I can drive with the powerband that I like without worrying my CVT longevity too much because I drive between 1500 and 3000 RPM most of the time.

Very happy with CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger!

Quick Adjustments & Quick Enables Setting:
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger (TD03 Hybrid) Result & Review KTuner-Quick-Settings

Dyno Sheet :
Please note dyno before I upgrade the turbocharger was done in different workshop.

Current Torque:
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger (TD03 Hybrid) Result & Review IMG_20210327_123926

Current Power:
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger (TD03 Hybrid) Result & Review IMG_20210327_123938

Stock turbo torque (peak boost was 19.5 PSI) - Parts similar as today with exception of tuning platform, turbo, & intercooler (was Rev9 Intercooler).
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger (TD03 Hybrid) Result & Review IMG_20210327_124026

Stock turbo power (peak boost was 19.5 PSI) - Parts similar as today with exception of tuning platform, turbo, & intercooler (was Rev9 Intercooler).
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger (TD03 Hybrid) Result & Review IMG_20210327_124039

Attachments

Last edited:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
it can do more but should be a good improvement compared to stock & you're also aiming towards a conservative tune.
thanks for the kind support & trust.
CAPTS Stage 2.1 turbo upgrade is on its way soon.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it can do more but should be a good improvement compared to stock & you're also aiming towards a conservative tune.
thanks for the kind support & trust.
CAPTS Stage 2.1 turbo upgrade is on its way soon.
Yes. I agree that turbo can do more. Both engine and turbo still have room for power but I prefer to leave some room for reliability for both the engine and the CVT.

Hahaha. Let's see. If along the way we find the limitation of the CVT, I would upgrade to V 2.1.

Do you happen to know the acceptable knock control range when artificial knock control rise is disabled?

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Reactions: Myx

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
Oh u made 261hp on CAPTs stage 2 turbo, i thought it was si turbo.

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh u made 261hp on CAPTs stage 2 turbo, i thought it was si turbo.
Yes. I mentioned TD03 Hybrid in my IG. Never said it was SI turbo. You can try Hondata basemap for SI turbo & go to the dyno. The map may not be available for your car so you need to copy the map from Civic 1.5T US. Hondata set very high boost limit of 2.685 kPA. This is already at the high side of turbo efficiency island.

Stick with stock turbo. You can hit 210 whp with your mods using stock turbo safely. The 239 bhp dyno sheet I posted in this thread was using stock turbo and 20 PSI boost limit. CRV/SI turbo wouldn't make much difference unless you push the turbo like what Hondata does.

salik990

First Name
Salik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic 1.5T, 15' Audi A3 1.8T, Toyota Hilux Revo 2017
Country flag
Yes. I mentioned TD03 Hybrid in my IG. Never said it was SI turbo. You can try Hondata basemap for SI turbo & go to the dyno. The map may not be available for your car so you need to copy the map from Civic 1.5T US. Hondata set very high boost limit of 2.685 kPA. This is already at the high side of turbo efficiency island.

Stick with stock turbo. You can hit 210 whp with your mods using stock turbo safely. The 239 bhp dyno sheet I posted in this thread was using stock turbo and 20 PSI boost limit. CRV/SI turbo wouldn't make much difference unless you push the turbo like what Hondata does.
yes its not available for my car but when i change the vehicle year to 2019 Malaysia i see those si turbo 2 maps, also some 265kpa maps. Can you explain how to copy those map, 2ndly my car ecu is working on 2016 Malaysia so tht mean i cant use 2019 Malaysia car.

Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Stage-2 Turbocharger (TD03 Hybrid) Result & Review Screenshot (2)

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yes its not available for my car but when i change the vehicle year to 2019 Malaysia i see those si turbo 2 maps, also some 265kpa maps. Can you explain how to copy those map, 2ndly my car ecu is working on 2016 Malaysia so tht mean i cant use 2019 Malaysia car.

Screenshot (2).png
You can copy the map to excel file

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Thanks for sharing this. Iā€™m going to do my tune, calibration and dyno tomorrow. So far : intercooler + downpipe from Wagner + mhi td03. the tune will be hondata based. How much should I expect ?
and how much is safe with stock clutch?

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Dynos will read differently. However, if you have a baseline, you should be able to achieve around +80hp from stock with your hardware.
Stock (factory) tune on this hardware should be 10-15 more than bone stock.
Torque wise, I think 6 to 8kgm above stock will work ok. That's 35kgm at the hubs on a dynapack.
Let us know how it works ?

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for sharing this. Iā€™m going to do my tune, calibration and dyno tomorrow. So far : intercooler + downpipe from Wagner + mhi td03. the tune will be hondata based. How much should I expect ?
and how much is safe with stock clutch?
Dynos will read differently even same dyno brand same city but different workshop could generate different result. If the dyno measured at the wheels, tires and wheels would play a factor in measurement.

If you have a base, you can see the delta/variance between your previous setup vs. current.

I use dyno to see the delta.

Dynos will read differently. However, if you have a baseline, you should be able to achieve around +80hp from stock with your hardware.
Stock (factory) tune on this hardware should be 10-15 more than bone stock.
Torque wise, I think 6 to 8kgm above stock will work ok. That's 35kgm at the hubs on a dynapack.
Let us know how it works ?
@nikkon what @varge mentioned here is correct. My stock based line was 178 BHP max bhp at 6000 RPM. My last tune to adjust for catless downpipe was 239 BHP. With the turbocharger update, the car was making 261 BHP or 22 BHP more but the torque is shifted from low RPM to mid-high RPM range.

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Thanks for the answers. Iā€™ll follow up tomorrow with the results.
Iā€˜m curious btw: was the torque shifted up in the rpm on purpose to protect the clutch or is this a specific of the td03 turbo?

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the answers. Iā€™ll follow up tomorrow with the results.
Iā€˜m curious btw: was the torque shifted up in the rpm on purpose to protect the clutch or is this a specific of the td03 turbo?
Peak torque shift to higher RPM is specific to TD03 hybrid due to bigger compressor and turbine size vs. stock turbo. If you were using KTuner, you may try "Early Spool" and aggressive turbo responsiveness and ramp presets.
Sponsored