Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Potentially interested in a set. Have been looking at PPG or your set and on building my motor the beginning of 2024. This looked like a nice upgrade and you offer a full set as opposed to only 1-4. Wanted to know power wise what you would estimate the set would handle as I'll likely be low 400 range after the motor build with occasional track days. Also curious about recalibrating the speed with modifying the ratios. Do you have a module you sell/recommend? @CAPTS
There are several of us running CAPTS gears at different power levels and different combination of gear sets. I have been running 3-4 for quite a while on a flex fuel tune and have 5th to install. They have held up fantastic. Keep in mind, these are custom gears, made to order. CAPTS may have some in stock, but you would be wise to think about gear ratios for your build and straight vs helical cut. You can also mix an match. It's the best buy given the flexibility you have with the order. Good luck.
Sponsored

HrrSi

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
There are several of us running CAPTS gears at different power levels and different combination of gear sets. I have been running 3-4 for quite a while on a flex fuel tune and have 5th to install. They have held up fantastic. Keep in mind, these are custom gears, made to order. CAPTS may have some in stock, but you would be wise to think about gear ratios for your build and straight vs helical cut. You can also mix an match. It's the best buy given the flexibility you have with the order. Good luck.
Appreciate it, had reached out to CAPTS on FB about a set after talking to Jason a bit about them. Seems like a better fit for what I'm wanting and have played around with a few ratios in gearbox simulators to work out options. Curious as to what people are running ratio wise for 2nd and 3rd especially as I fine tune numbers. Im thinking straight for 1-4 and then helical for 5/6 if I do either/both, but open to additional commentary/suggestions from those that have run them.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I run stock ratios and helical cut. If I were to run a high horsepower, high RPM motor, I would certainly adjust the ratios to suit whatever application I was going to use the car. For autocross, I would setup 2nd for more speed so I don't have to shift or ride the limiter. The big track would be different again. If you are just doing street performance, your tuner might be able to help with the ratios matching up with the power band for maintaining close ratio smooth shifting. I don't have a clue for drag racing.

HrrSi

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I run stock ratios and helical cut. If I were to run a high horsepower, high RPM motor, I would certainly adjust the ratios to suit whatever application I was going to use the car. For autocross, I would setup 2nd for more speed so I don't have to shift or ride the limiter. The big track would be different again. If you are just doing street performance, your tuner might be able to help with the ratios matching up with the power band for maintaining close ratio smooth shifting. I don't have a clue for drag racing.
Probably use mostly for the streets, curvy roads, and track days. Have upgraded valve springs I'm putting in when I redo my head for the built bottom end but not sure I want to go too crazy with the rev limiter. Looking at right around stock ratios with a few tweaks as of now(maybe reduce the ratio for first so it's not quite as aggressive) but would be a good idea to reach out to Derrick now that you mention it to see what he thinks from the tuner standpoint. Main reason I am leaning straight cut is honestly for the sound. Love a little whine in the gearbox but may leave that for the first 1-2/3 so it's a little quieter if I'm cruising on a highway, country road at a consistent speed.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
curious if one can get CAPTS 5th and 6th helical gears, oem ratios, that might be compatible with the PPG gears (which are 1st to 4th only).

already have a set of the PPG gears and speedo calibration box although not yet installed.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
As a quick visual update to my CAPTS 3-4 gear sets, I just uninstalled them to add 5th gear and new carbons synchros. I put 37,000 miles on these gears and took a few pictures straight out of the trans. I wiped some fluid off, but haven't scrubbed them yet. I haven't even really looked at the pictures other than to sort out the file names. They are essentially as they were when I stripped them off the shafts last night. Keep in mind, I ran stock synchros on these. I wasn't able to get carbon at the time these were installed. If anyone has any comments on the condition, let me know. It's my first time looking at a set of CAPTS with these miles. I can get close ups if there is anything that catches the eye. I'll also clean them up and take better pictures, but they look pretty good so far. Great job CAPTS for these early batch of gears.

Iso view (4th up front, 3rd in rear)
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set 3-4 with 37000 miles_iso view

Top View
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set 3-4 with 37000 miles_top view

3rd Main (top gear to see detail)
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set 3-4 with 37000 miles_3rd main

3rd Counter (top gear)
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set 3-4 with 37000 miles_3rd counter

4th Main (top gear)
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set 3-4 with 37000 miles_4th main

4th Counter (top gear)
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set 3-4 with 37000 miles_4th counter

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
This post is a continuation of the one above. These are CAPTS 3rd and 4th gears with 37,000 miles on them. The pictures below are intended to show the wear on both sides of the teeth of each gear. I am showing gears in no particular order. All wear is visual and cannot be felt by my finger. I do not see or feel any significant issues to justify any further investigation. In my opinion, these CAPTS gears are wearing just fine to continue the rebuild. If anyone has any comments to add, I'd be interested sharing experiences on this topic. My experience is limited right now to these gears. OEM gear wear looks different due to the tooth profiles being so different.

Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235307922
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235353423
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235402443
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235427364
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235432881
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235451260
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235322273
Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240406_235442487

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just got done reassembling the shafts. I already had CAPTS 3-4, and just added CAPTS 5th gear, along with carbon synchros. Should be my final configuration for this transmission and the one I'll use most of the time. I'll keep the RV6 trans as a spare, I guess. I may run the RV6 trans for this autocross season and swap at the end of Summer. I ended up taking a polishing wheel to the counter shaft splines and a wire brush to get the splines smooth again. Had some issues with the gears coming off due to the number of times these shafts have been rebuilt. Freezing the shaft assembly in my deep freezer and hitting the gears with a propane torch did the trick. The shaft temp was 80F and the gears were 160F before they moved. After cleaning the splines up, the gears pressed on without issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen CAPTS Custom Gear Set PXL_20240412_223348099
Sponsored