Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Im supposed to go on the frame machine tomorrow but i cant get the car to start. I disconnected everything inuding the bcm to get the metal bar behind the dash out. I reconnected everything and it starts but shuts down immediately after with a flashing red light under the temp gauge. I have been trying to reset the security system for over 6 hours with no luck. I tried pressing the panic button for 5 seconds, then pressing the lock button twice and unlock twice after but still nothing. Also tried turning the key in driver door. Any ideas?
Sponsored

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So you did disconnect the battery? I'd disconnect it for at least 30 min and then try again. Double-check the connections you loosened originally.

OP
OP
Denzelnyc3

Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you did disconnect the battery? I'd disconnect it for at least 30 min and then try again. Double-check the connections you loosened originally.
I literally was about to call it a night when i remembered 2 wires i disconnected on the passenger side. Plugged them in and it fired right up. Only took me 7 hours!!

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your key fob lost its programming. Try using other remote. If that doesn’t work your remotes need to be reprogrammed

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never mind didn’t see the other post. If something like that happens and you either have the green key light (older models) or red flashing dot, or won’t turn on (push to start) the key or remote may of lost its programming.

OP
OP
Denzelnyc3

Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never mind didn’t see the other post. If something like that happens and you either have the green key light (older models) or red flashing dot, or won’t turn on (push to start) the key or remote may of lost its programming.
Okay thanks. If i could find some literature on what the security system is looking for i wouldn't have spent as much time on it.

OP
OP
Denzelnyc3

Denzelnyc3

First Name
Denzel Williams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You need to completely reset the ECU. You can't do that by just removing the battery wires.

Remove BOTH terminal wires (the + and the -). Remove the negative wire first. Carefully place that aside in a cloth. Make sure it doesn't touch anything metallic in the engine bay.
Then remove the positive wire and carefully place it in the same cloth where you have the negative wire.

With both + and - wires removed from the battery, touch the wires together and have them touch each other for 10 - 15 minutes without them coming apart. This is what removes all of the ECU programming that is stored in the emergency batteries and capacitors located on the ECU board.

Then, pull apart the wires and in backwards order, hook them back up to their battery terminals.

Hook up the positive battery connection first. Then, carefully hook up the negative battery terminal.

The Type R has a Bosch ECU and this is the ONLY way to completely reset the ECU without going to the dealer.

After you turn on your car after the reset, let the car idle for 5 minutes. After that, you are good to go.

Your car will feel slighly faster with really touchy throttle response the first 20-30 miles. After your ECU re-learns your driving habits, it gets back to normal. Not sure why that happens, but for the first 20-30 miles or so, you'll think your car got an additional 50-100hp. I just wish it stayed that way, because 1st gear feels 10x more powerful with an ECU reset. I've been trying to figure out why the car does that, but nobody on these forums seems to talk about it....or know about it.

* This is the proper ECU reset for all HONDA vehicles from 2016 and up.
Thanks. It was two wires that i forgot to connect on the passenger side that solved the problem. It started right up without needing to reset the immobilizer. I did the ecu reset exactly the way u mentioned. I guess whoever needs this info has it now...

VroomX

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 10th gen
Country flag
Thanks. It was two wires that i forgot to connect on the passenger side that solved the problem. It started right up without needing to reset the immobilizer. I did the ecu reset exactly the way u mentioned. I guess whoever needs this info has it now...
Was able to try as mentioned
Thank you..it works.I’m glad I found this post.
Sponsored