Canadian Battery Replacement?

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
There are 3 major battery parameters that are important.
CGA
Capacity
Deep Cycle

CGA is the amount of current that the battery, when charged, can supply at a given temperature while maintaining a given voltage.
Capacity is the amount of time the battery can last, on a given load (given current)
Deep Charge is if the Battery will survive repeated full discharges, without major deterioration.

It's possible to have a battery with a High CGA, but a low capacity.
It can provide the current (when fully charged) to start the car, but not for very long.
Example: Small Lithium emergency starting devices.

Then again, you can have a physically BIG battery, with lots of Capacity (last a long time), but can only provide a limited current when put on load.

With that being said, getting a PHYSICALLY bigger battery does not necessarily give you higher CGA - that depends more on the construction of the battery, but a Physically BIGGER e battery will typically give you more CAPACITY, so will allow you to listen to the radio with the engine NOT running for longer.

The question is, why do the Canadians get a Physically BIGGER battery, with approximately the same CGA as the smaller American battery ?
Either they need the Capacity because it takes longer to start the car in their colder climate .. or .. They need listen to the Radio a lot more with the engine not running. ?
The Canadian battery does not have approx the same CCA. It has nearly 25% more. 450 vs 550 CCA.
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have 450 CCA, it is not a group 35. My factory battery in the Canadian Touring is 550 CCA.
Not true at all. Once and for all, CCA has nothing to do with the battery size. I have a group 35 battery and it is rated at 450 CCA.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Not true at all. Once and for all, CCA has nothing to do with the battery size. I have a group 35 battery and it is rated at 450 CCA.
Are you sure its a group 35. Is it 6.75 inches wide. If so, it is about the lowest CCA I have ever heard of for a group 35.
I had assumed which I shouldn't have that because mine is 550 that all other 35s in the Civic were the same.
My bad.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Bigger size does not necessarily mean Higher CGA. More typically it means higher CAPACITY.

Think of the Battery like a big tank of water, with a Tap fitted near the bottom.

The bigger the Tap and the quicker water can gush out of the tank( AMPS) the higher the CGA.
The Bigger the Tank, the more water it can hold (CAPACITY), and the longer that water can gush out at that rate, before you run out of water.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
Bigger size does not necessarily mean Higher CGA. More typically it means higher CAPACITY.

Think of the Battery like a big tank of water, with a Tap fitted near the bottom.

The bigger the Tap and the quicker water can gush out of the tank( AMPS) the higher the CGA.
The Bigger the Tank, the more water it can hold (CAPACITY), and the longer that water can gush out at that rate, before you run out of water.
Yep ... spot on ... BUT ... because there is only two electrodes for the positive and negative, the "TAP" so you call it is fixed.
Instead, you should consider calling the AMPS a different viscosity fluid.
Thicker fluid comes out slower, but Thinner fluid comes out faster.
If you put 90 weight gear oil versus say ... water through the same tap, it'll come out at different rates.

AMPS is solely reliant on the construction of the battery.
An OEM Honda D51 battery might have 400 Cold Cranking Amps, but a House Brand D51 AGM from a local autoparts store might have 600.

What I want to know are the part numbers for the Group 35 battery tray in the 16+ Civic.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yep ... spot on ... BUT ... because there is only two electrodes for the positive and negative, the "TAP" so you call it is fixed.
Instead, you should consider calling the AMPS a different viscosity fluid.
Thicker fluid comes out slower, but Thinner fluid comes out faster.
If you put 90 weight gear oil versus say ... water through the same tap, it'll come out at different rates.

AMPS is solely reliant on the construction of the battery.
An OEM Honda D51 battery might have 400 Cold Cranking Amps, but a House Brand D51 AGM from a local autoparts store might have 600.

What I want to know are the part numbers for the Group 35 battery tray in the 16+ Civic.
AMPS is the FLOW, which is a function of the size of the Tap, and as you say, the Viscosity of the fluid. Both are dictated by the design of the battery internals.

Adding Viscosity to the analogy is a good addition to the model. While the "wide open" TAP does not change with temperature, the fluid viscosity does, adding the modeling of the CCA changing with temperature.

NEAT !!

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My battery crapped out on me, again, on Monday.
I had to use my Lithium Jumper Pack to start the car after work.
I immediately drove straight to Advance Auto Parts and
got the group 35 AGM AutoCraft Platinum or whatever.
Its rated at 650 cold cranking amps, 55 amp hours, and
with a 100 minute reserve capacity.
I haven't had any issues with it yet.

Although, getting it to fit in the 51r battery tray was tricky.
I took out as much of the unnecessary stuff as possible and just threw it in.
The bottom of the battery kinda just sits on the OEM tie down hole.
Like I said. I need the Canadian battery tray part numbers.

EDIT:

I just looked at the receipt and my pictures a little closer and noticed I got the group 34.
Whoops ... ... Better specs, but not sure if it'll fit in the Canadian Battery Tray.

740 cold cranking amps
60 amp hours
115 minute reserve capacity

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...m/10310829-P?brandName=AutoCraft+Platinum+AGM

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_0010.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_0011.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_0012.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_0013.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_0014.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_0015.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
What's the red tube on your positive terminal?
So, nothing is holding down your battery? Is it safe to do that?

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the red tube on your positive terminal?
So, nothing is holding down your battery? Is it safe to do that?
The big red tube is a zero gauge copper clad aluminum power cable that goes from
this battery terminal to a battery isolator and 2nd battery in the trunk.
Correct. Currently, nothing is holding down the battery, and although it is not ideal,
it isn't going to move or shift from it's current postion.
Personally, I'd rather have it sitting in a proper battery tray with proper tie downs, but
I'd much rather have a stronger battery during below freezing temperatures.

M1KL83

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT, 2002 Honda Accord SE 5MT
Country flag
The big red tube is a zero gauge copper clad aluminum power cable that goes from
this battery terminal to a battery isolator and 2nd battery in the trunk.
Correct. Currently, nothing is holding down the battery, and although it is not ideal,
it isn't going to move or shift from it's current postion.
Personally, I'd rather have it sitting in a proper battery tray with proper tie downs, but
I'd much rather have a stronger battery during below freezing temperatures.
Toronto Honda Parts - Parts List
http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsL...r=2018&doors=5door&cat=electrical&illid=20061

This should be the parts list for our Canadian Civic battery assembly.

Let me know if it helps you find what youre looking for.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toronto Honda Parts - Parts List
http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsL...r=2018&doors=5door&cat=electrical&illid=20061

This should be the parts list for our Canadian Civic battery assembly.

Let me know if it helps you find what youre looking for.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
YES !!! You are a life saver. YOU ARE THE MAN !!!

It still looks like this diagram is still missing one more part.
It is listed under (Front Bulkhead - Dashboard).
This is where the "battery tie down hooks" will mount.
Currently, my new oversized battery is too wide to fit and sits precariously on the stock tie down point.
This is the stock part in my 2017 Civic Coupe. (This is a Link)
This is the stock part for a 2018 Civic Type R. (This is also a link)
It looks like part 10 in this diagram seems to be designed for Civic Type R : 60630-TGG-C00

Cross referencing Civic Type R battery sizes, I get the H5 variant which is slightly smaller than the group 35 by mere millimeters.
I'm going to order all the necessary parts and see if this all works out.

luizportela

First Name
Luiz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
Hello,

Does anyone know the correct size(or a specific brand/model) for the Canadian civic 2016+?

I tried the Costco Kirkland group 35 and the motomaster eliminator 35 and both of them are too high in comparison with the OEM battery, they doesn’t fit in the hook that holds the battery. Also the 51R listed on the websites is too small for the tray.

I went to a Canadian tire and the staff guys and me, we tried to compare side a side with the models there and we didn’t find anything similar that will fit in the hook/tray.

I’m trying to don’t buy it in the dealership, they asked me $ 389,00 Cad for the new battery.

Thanks!

Last edited:

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello,

Does anyone know the correct size(or a specific brand/model) for the Canadian civic 2016+?

I tried the Costco Kirkland group 35 and the motomaster eliminator 35 and both of them are too high in comparison with the OEM battery, they doesn’t fit in the hook that holds the battery. Also the 51R listed on the websites is too small for the tray.

I went to a Canadian tire and the staff guys and me, we tried to compare side a side with the models there and we didn’t find anything similar that will fit in the hook/tray.

I’m trying to don’t buy it in the dealership, they asked me $ 389,00 Cad for the new battery.

Thanks!
I have a 2018 civic hatch, replaced with group 35 and experience no problem or whatsoever.. what do you mean the battery is too high? OEM battery is already group 35.

OP
OP

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I have a 2018 civic hatch, replaced with group 35 and experience no problem or whatsoever.. what do you mean the battery is too high? OEM battery is already group 35.
Which battery did you replace it with? The OEM is 35, but the group 35 batteries from CT or Costco are too tall in that the battery tie down won't fit properly. Some users just installed the batteries without the tie down, but I don't know how I feel about a battery sliding around with only the battery terminals holding it down.

luizportela

First Name
Luiz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring 2016
Country flag
Do you know your model/brand? It's tie down with the original hook?

Which battery did you replace it with? The OEM is 35, but the group 35 batteries from CT or Costco are too tall in that the battery tie down won't fit properly. Some users just installed the batteries without the tie down, but I don't know how I feel about a battery sliding around with only the battery terminals holding it down.

Yes, that's my point, the group 35 from Costco or CT are too tall. Maybe there is a model that will fit. I Can only feel good about it with the battery tie down with the original hook.
Sponsored