17CivicLXHB

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback - 1.5T - 6MT
Country flag
Which car do you have? I'm in Canada, are you?

I have a 2017 Civic EX with a dead battery. Would the Kirkland H5 work in my case? The dealer said the replacement is group 47 and now has 650 CCA, instead of the original 550 CCA. Is the AGM battery better than whatever Honda is selling? Their battery is $200.

Can the battery be purchased online at Costco? I have my parents membership but don't know if they will be checking upon pickup?
I’m in Sask and also ordered the Energizer H5 AGM Battery from Costco.ca. It should be fine if you order it. They don’t check membership when delivering
Sponsored

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
I’m in Sask and also ordered the Energizer H5 AGM Battery from Costco.ca. It should be fine if you order it. They don’t check membership when delivering
Looks like the costco H5 Battery from Costco has 600 CCA and is $220.

The dealer replacement battery is $200, not sure of warranty or if it is AGM, but the replacement OEM battery now comes with 650 CCA instead of the original 550 CCA.

Would that make a big difference? Don't know if I can wait for 4-7 business days for Costco to deliver the battery. May just be forced to purchase from the dealer.

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
The shipping time from Costco was relatively quick, within a week. The reason why I got the Energizer battery from costco.ca was because I was not able to find a AGM in H5 size in stock at a Costco warehouse . Even if it was it may have been a regular lead acid battery, and this was not what I was interested in. you may want to try your luck and call Costco Warehouse locations to see if they have it in stock. I think they do have them occasionally.

With regards to your comment about cold cranking amps, I would recommend looking up some YouTube videos discussing how relevant this rating is in relation to car batteries. I think there is something to be said about the build quality of the battery with regards to brand/materials used and I would personally rather get an AGM with a slightly lower cold cranking amp versus a lead acid battery with a higher cold cranking amp. But that's just me.

In any case, if you have decided on buying the battery from costco, you're in good shape given that we have quite awesome battery replacement programs so even for the Kirkland signature batteries, you are pretty much guaranteed a new battery every two years if you wanted to; no questions asked because Costco members are king.

To be clear I do not work for Costco. I'm a health care provider in case you were wondering.

Last edited:

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
When you guys replaced your battery, does the civic loose all the maintenance reminders? Specifically oil health.

jeeva86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Acura TL-S 6MT
Country flag
ok I'm thinking about swapping my battery just to rule out other issues, plus it's a 2017. Measurements show it's 6.75" wide, so I suspect it's a 35? Is it possible to be a 51R size with 6.75" as well. Battery also shows 450CCA on it. This thread mentions a wide variety of batteries:

- 51R
- 47(H5)

Some of you stated the stock is 35 as well, so I'm confused as to which size one should get! Ideally, I'd like to get it from the Costco warehouse in person as that'll be faster than shipping.

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
ok I'm thinking about swapping my battery just to rule out other issues, plus it's a 2017. Measurements show it's 6.75" wide, so I suspect it's a 35? Is it possible to be a 51R size with 6.75" as well. Battery also shows 450CCA on it. This thread mentions a wide variety of batteries:

- 51R
- 47(H5)

Some of you stated the stock is 35 as well, so I'm confused as to which size one should get! Ideally, I'd like to get it from the Costco warehouse in person as that'll be faster than shipping.
The direct OEM replacement is H5 . Costco I think has the H5 wet cells in warehouses but due to COVID lockdown restrictions I'm not sure you can even buy them in the warehouses anymore.
H5 is your reference point for size . Others will work just may not fit the stock tiedowns etc.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My first battery lasted 23 months and was warranty replaced. This second just died at 31 months. It says 100 month warranty. I'm going to ask them to replace it free, otherwise I'm looking for a better option. The group 35 dimensions are close enough to this 51r that I think it should work but the +0.8" hight might hit my strut bar. You guys try putting the 35 in the usdm civic?

The battery never faulted or failed to start for 31 months, was good yesterday and now 12 hours later it reads 3.6v! I've had batteries get weak and fail but from working to 3.6v overnight is surprising.
Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? IMG_20220704_171212

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
My first battery lasted 23 months and was warranty replaced. This second just died at 31 months. It says 100 month warranty. I'm going to ask them to replace it free, otherwise I'm looking for a better option. The group 35 dimensions are close enough to this 51r that I think it should work but the +0.8" hight might hit my strut bar. You guys try putting the 35 in the usdm civic?

The battery never faulted or failed to start for 31 months, was good yesterday and now 12 hours later it reads 3.6v! I've had batteries get weak and fail but from working to 3.6v overnight is surprising.
IMG_20220704_171212.jpg

This thread is about Canadian versions which will be different from your car.

I just replaced mine (lasted a good 4 years) and it's Group Size 47 (H5/L2). CanadianTire defaults to 51r which is incorrect as it is too tall. 2018 Civic SI Sedan in Ontario for reference. Also don't buy from Canadian Tire. They charge you $20 + tax for the core charge and then only refund you $20 when you return the old battery. The alternative is to remove the battery in the parking lot and hand it over before you purchase thus avoiding the fee entirely. Save the headache and buy from Costco.

Last edited:

skystematic

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Glad I found this thread! Wanted to share.

My 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 1.5L battery died after 5 years. Purchased a 51R 450A battery from Napa Auto Parts. Their website only provided results of 51R after putting in my car details. But it looks like the website isn't listing the correct sizes appropriately. Had to return the 51R battery to Napa. The CORRECT battery size was a 47R.

I purchased the battery below and it fit into my car. Some websites do not have the right results. I should have purchased the H5 Energizer battery (cheaper price) from Costco instead but none in my area (Oakville, Ontario, Canada).

Honda Civic 10th gen Canadian Battery Replacement? Battery.PNG

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Just as a point of reference,
my 2016 Canadian LX was just in for a service and I asked them to check the battery to be safe:

My advisor said that it had only lost 20 CCA off the original capacity...

The battery is 7 years old.
#winning ;-)

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
When you guys replaced your battery, does the civic loose all the maintenance reminders? Specifically oil health.
No. Maintenance reminders, including remaining oil life, are retained after a battery disconnect/reconnect.

Don't be surprised at all the warning lights at first though as systems reinitialise. Go for a drive and they should all slowly clear.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Also if your car will not start after futzing with the battery, DO NOT PANIC
Sometimes the engine will refuse to turn over...
that is just the Immobilizer not letting it start.

Get out of the car
Lock the door with the Remote
Unlock the door with the Remote
Get in
Have a moment of quiet reflection
Stomp HARD on the brake pedal
Turn the car on

I am 99% sure that was the process, there's at least one video on YouTube if you need better guidance. I take my battery off all the time, sometimes for 5 minute sometimes much longer, and it seems to be hit or miss when it happens.

Nothing like that OH SH#T moment...

chewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The other day all dash lights came on but the car drives drove fine and they went away after a short drive and it got me thinking if the battery is on its way out (7 years and 105km). As I research this thread, I had a tough time deciding which size to get so I am going to chime in with my experience. 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport (1.5T engine) and I got the H5 (Costco Kirkland $139.99 in store) and it is a 1:1 swap. I can't believe it's been 7 years already and I still love driving it.
Sponsored