[Canada] 2018 Honda Civic SE now available; does this portend a big refresh for 2019?

internalaudit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
Build page included SE now. Not as compelling with EX starting at $25,817.50 so just a $1,600 difference/savings.

https://www.honda.ca/civic20

https://www.honda.ca/civic_sedan/specs

Advantages over EX
  • Deck lid spoiler
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel

Disadvantages to the EX
  • One-touch power moonroof with tilt feature
  • Honda LaneWatch blind spot display
  • Speed-sensing, variable intermittent windshield wipersSpeed-sensing, variable intermittent windshield wipers
  • Dual-zone A/C
  • Illuminated Driver’s and front passenger’s vanity mirrors
  • Passenger-side seatback pocket
Sponsored

Last edited:

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eliminating and replacing the LX w/ CVT and Honda Sensing. Adding a few goodies.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go Hatchback :) All trims can be had with the 6MT - even the Sport Touring - like the red one on my avatar (Here in Canada, anyway) :-D

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
The US Usually gets the SE last year of its Cycle.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
"Honda Canada adds a Special Edition (SE) sedan trim to the already diverse Civic lineup to celebrate the nameplate’s 20 years as best-selling car in Canada, with an MSRP of $22,390.

The Special Edition trim was developed in celebration of the Civic’s 20-year sales dominance [...]"

http://hondanews.ca/en/news/release...0-Years-of-BestSelling-Civic-with-New-SE-Trim

As @Rawnerve1 mentioned, the "SE" trim typically denotes the last year of a generation, although it's been used to denote the last two years of a generation. Both the 2016 and 2017 US Odyssey had an SE trim, but that's likely because Honda originally planned to release an all-new Odyssey for 2017, but it got delayed until 2018.

I don't believe a 2018 Civic SE for Canada foretells that an all-new Civic is coming for 2019 or 2020. The 10th gen Civic should be around until the 2021 or 2022 model years.

Last edited:

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Go Hatchback :) All trims can be had with the 6MT - even the Sport Touring - like the red one on my avatar (Here in Canada, anyway) :-D
In Canada, the hatchbacks are all relatively poor value because of the $1k-$2k import duty that isn't assessed on North American-built CivicX sedans and coupes. (All hatchbacks are made in the UK.) That's one reason why there are so few hatchbacks on the road - I've only seen four in the past six months, and two of those were Type R's.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
Our Si's are made here in Canada too.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In Canada, the hatchbacks are all relatively poor value because of the $1k-$2k import duty that isn't assessed on North American-built CivicX sedans and coupes. (All hatchbacks are made in the UK.) That's one reason why there are so few hatchbacks on the road - I've only seen four in the past six months, and two of those were Type R's.
Don't forget the model actually only started trickling in decent numbers in Canada around May... And the duty is 2.5% of wholesale value. Plus, Can-Spec Hatchbacks tend to be equipped a bit differently from their Sedan / Coupe "equivalent" (LX / LX , Sport / EX-T, Sport Touring / Touring). FYI the Canadian Sport Touring Hatch is the only Civic model available in North America with both a 6MT and Honda Sensing)
Sponsored