First Name
Cocnah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with some advice as this is our first new car and I don't know how any of this works, I tried skimming through the huge warranty manual but my ADD hates it.

- I didn't get extended coverage or any of that crap, I just have the basic warranty.

1) Do I have to bring my car to Honda for oil changes? I prefer Costco as they're $25 cheaper.
2) Do I have to bring my car to Honda for all services if I want to keep my warranty?
My car is telling me my next service is 0 9 - which means I'll have to get my breaks serviced.. Saying that, Honda charges an arm and a leg while a normal mechanic will charge half the price.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks all!
Sponsored

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Both my dealer and Honda Canada told me as long as I kept receipts and maintenance records there's no issue. Honda Canada even said keeping receipts and logging oil changes myself was fine. Pretty rad.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with some advice as this is our first new car and I don't know how any of this works, I tried skimming through the huge warranty manual but my ADD hates it.

- I didn't get extended coverage or any of that crap, I just have the basic warranty.

1) Do I have to bring my car to Honda for oil changes? I prefer Costco as they're $25 cheaper.
2) Do I have to bring my car to Honda for all services if I want to keep my warranty?
My car is telling me my next service is 0 9 - which means I'll have to get my breaks serviced.. Saying that, Honda charges an arm and a leg while a normal mechanic will charge half the price.

Thanks all!
1) No.
2) No.

Anything else you should now? Yes...

https://blog.tdotperformance.ca/guides/warranty-battles-oem-vs-aftermarket/

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Does Costco’s use the proper oil, full synthetic 0W20 and oil filter?

Oil change in the dealership is about $65CAN. IMO, this is not too expensive and it has the added benefit of potential software updates and recalls. For me, I would do the oil change in the dealership for at least the basic warranty period.

As for brake service, it doesn’t not matter where you get it done as long as you keep the receipts. If your car is a lease, you should insist of Honda parts.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The oil doesn't have to be synthetic, but it can be. Any 0W-20 oil with the API certification seal changed no later than instructed by the Maintenance Minder is adequate for warranty purposes.

Honda Civic 10th gen Canada - 2017 Civic EX Warranty Untitled

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Oil change in the dealership is about $65CAN. IMO, this is not too expensive and it has the added benefit of potential software updates and recalls. For me, I would do the oil change in the dealership for at least the basic warranty period.

As for brake service, it doesn’t not matter where you get it done as long as you keep the receipts. If your car is a lease, you should insist of Honda parts.
$65 for a oil change is expensive my other car only cost be $40

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
$65 for a oil change is expensive my other car only cost be $40
This is Canadian dollars about $50US.
The oil actaully starts at $45CAN, more expensive if synthetic.

Last edited:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't let any dealership scare you, follow your owner's manual.

As posted no on both.

I upload my receipts on Google Drive, not really worried though, I've been DIY since 2002 and even then when I had warranty work on my RSX Premium Acura didn't ask about maintenance work. I guess it varies depending on the dealer.

As for Brakes, dealers like to recommend getting them Serviced. No parts are replaced and they tend to charge $300+ for these oil change packages.

Majority is just inspections, it's 2017 what's there to inspect? Some will lube the caliper slider pins but do you think it's worth $250? It's very easy, easier than doing an oil change actually and I do it when I change to winters.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Hi,

Thanks all!
I guess this depends on what country you live in. in Australia it would be illegal to force you to have your car serviced by Honda just to keep the warranty. warranties in Australia come under consumer law. Which is far to complex to explain here.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I guess this depends on what country you live in. in Australia it would be illegal to force you to have your car serviced by Honda just to keep the warranty. warranties in Australia come under consumer law. Which is far to complex to explain here.

Illegal in USA and Canada too.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score