Can you Touring side view mirrors on a EX-L Sensing model? Alternatives?

AlanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Civic EX-L
Hi. Here's my question and I hope I can frame it clearly. I want side view mirrors that have integrated turn signal indicators. The are available only on the Touring Trim (as standard). Looking at the equipment upgrades between the EX-L w/Honda Sensing and Touring, the only option I really want is the upgraded side mirrors. Can I buy the Touring lights OEM and have them installed on the EX-L? My imperfect guess is there is little difference and perhaps the electrical harness is already there on the EX-L or could be added. I suppose Honda could make it very difficult or impossible to do this upgrade but I'm curious if anyone here has asked about, or even done it because they wanted it. I'd like to avoid spending approximately $1,800 MSRP for the one option that want that is on the Touring but not on the EX-L Sensing. Thoughts? (thanks in advance!)
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
You doing that conversion is going to cost you $1800

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The driver's door harnesses are different between the EX-L and Touring. Curiously, the Touring harness weighs more and costs less. Don't know for sure, but bet this is a bad sign for this being a simple plug-and-play swap. The harness on the body side of this harness is probably different also.

OP
OP

AlanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Civic EX-L
The driver's door harnesses are different between the EX-L and Touring. Curiously, the Touring harness weighs more and costs less. Don't know for sure, but bet this is a bad sign for this being a simple plug-and-play swap. The harness on the body side of this harness is probably different also.
Thanks Dick for the response. Looks like I'll have to do some soul searching based on your response as well as Newflyer3. Side note: it seems to me that this feature should be standard on all trims by now on cars sold in the US. What's worse is you can't get it as an accessory or option, unless you jump a whole trim level.

I'm still on the sidelines whether to wait and look at the hatchback model 4Q16/1Q17, or at least until they release the what the specs will be by trim level.

Thanks! Alan

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
it seems to me that this feature should be standard on all trims by now on cars sold in the US. What's worse is you can't get it as an accessory or option, unless you jump a whole trim level.
I haven't seen any reports to suggest that the mirror indicators have demonstrated positive safety benefit beyond just a cosmetic effect. Maybe that data exists.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I haven't seen any reports to suggest that the mirror indicators have demonstrated positive safety benefit beyond just a cosmetic effect. Maybe that data exists.
It's just one thing to differentiate top trim from the rest... If all the trims have it, the Touring wouldn't be as exclusive.
Sponsored