Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
So a while back I was considering getting a CTR and when I had called my local Honda dealership that had 2 in stock, they had told me that due to the CTR being a showroom car, I cannot test drive them. Is this true for every dealer, for a new CTR anyway? Kind of hard to spend upwards of 35K for something I can't even test drive first. Although I know it's an amazing car, I want to feel what it's like first before committing.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I’ve seen posts here before saying that unfortunately, you can’t.

Best way to test drive one is if you know someone who owns an FK8.

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve seen posts here before saying that unfortunately, you can’t.

Best way to test drive one is if you know someone who owns an FK8.
Bummer, thanks.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
So a while back I was considering getting a CTR and when I had called my local Honda dealership that had 2 in stock, they had told me that due to the CTR being a showroom car, I cannot test drive them. Is this true for every dealer, for a new CTR anyway? Kind of hard to spend upwards of 35K for something I can't even test drive first. Although I know it's an amazing car, I want to feel what it's like first before committing.
I'd try my luck at a dealer with a used CTR. Dealers tend to test drive cars with miles already on em

Foc-US2K

First Name
Jasen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Championship White Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Majestic White Infiniti Red Sport 400, 2000 Electron Blue Pearl Honda Civic SI, 2006 Alabaster Silver Metalic Acura TSX 6spd
Country flag
I got to test drive a used one at my local Honda dealer. Try to find a used one to test drive like Seth_FC3 said.

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yeah if i cant test drive it then no way i would buy it. Even if it was a used one and your buying new. You should always test drive the car your spending your money on. If they give you any problems... walk away. End of the day seriously its a civic. dont get me wrong im a huge fan of the CTR but come on.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1.) Befriend an owner from this forum or Facebook
2.) CarMax or any used car dealer
3.) Rent one for a day on Turo

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I actually bought my Si without ever test driving one just based on how much my son and DIl liked their Civic EX-L and the reviews of the Si. I wanted a sporty, practical, affordable car and there weren't too many alternatives. If Mazda was still making the MazdaSpeed 3, I'm sure I would have test driven both that and the Si.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Go to dealership dressed half decent (assuming you can find a dealer who has a Type R on the lot), act like you have money or at least good credit and yea hell yea you can test drive a Type R. Anyone who buys a car without even testdriving it is....well just dont. They may insist on riding with you and not let you take it out on your own but if they think your a serious potential buyer they will 100% let you test drive it.

I had a buddy of mine whos thing was to go test drive Lambos and Ferrari's and even a 918 Porsche Spyder all the time. Could he afford one or even finance one?? No. He sure could convince a care salesmen he could and was very interested in doing so.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
If you don't look like you can afford it or are a serious buyer they won't give you the time of day.

You guys being denied test drives aren't dressing up the way dealerships want you to. Image is everything to slimy sales people and business men.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was thinking more of the clutch being abused without being broken in more than anything, especially by someone who can't drive and slips and shocks it too much. With my 2020 I waited a bit before ever powering through the gears. I would still go full throttle but wouldn't shift it hard. Over a decade driving a 6MT Honda what I've gathered is that k series engines are tanks (at stock power at least), but transmissions not so much. 205,000 miles on my Si and the only problem with that engine is it burns oil like it's going out of style. 3rd gear synchronizer snapped and got stuck in the shift linkage... That was expensive to fix.

If you don't look like you can afford it or are a serious buyer they won't give you the time of day.

You guys being denied test drives aren't dressing up the way dealerships want you to. Image is everything to slimy sales people and business men.
Lol, I have a giant mountain man beard and exclusively wear t-shirts, jeans, or shorts and they were more than happy to set me off in one. Though I didn't care for a test drive because I knew I'd love it after driving a slow ass Si for so long

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If I was denied a test drive, I would deny them a sale. Easy as that. Have some self respect lol
Sponsored