Can you swap a CVT for another CVT or automatic Transmission?

Thee_OX

First Name
GeeMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Hatchback
Country flag
I always hear about automatics swapping for a manual. But what about CVT swapping for a better CVT or automatic?

I must admit When Scotty was talking about the 2020 rav4 8 speed transmission for front wheel drive, I thought to myself, is it possible to put a Rav4 transmission or any of the Toyota's CVT's in to the Honda to replace the honda CVT?
Sponsored

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Maybe possible, if you're willing to throw enough money at it. But an outrageous amount of time/effort/custom work would be required, not to mention programming so the Honda ECU can operate a non-Honda transmission. A Toyota trans is just not designed to fit in - or work with - a Civic.

Ultimately, all of these challenges lead me to the same question:

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
I always hear about automatics swapping for a manual. But what about CVT swapping for a better CVT or automatic?

I must admit When Scotty was talking about the 2020 rav4 8 speed transmission for front wheel drive, I thought to myself, is it possible to put a Rav4 transmission or any of the Toyota's CVT's in to the Honda to replace the honda CVT?
I hope you're not talking about Scotty from YouTube... Cause he's clown that doesn't know what he's talking about half the time... As for your transmission, you may as well look for another car with the transmission you like. Preferably an automatic in my opinion. Not really a fan of any of this CVT's. That's why I got my car manual.

OP
OP

Thee_OX

First Name
GeeMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hope you're not talking about Scotty from YouTube... Cause he's clown that doesn't know what he's talking about half the time... As for your transmission, you may as well look for another car with the transmission you like. Preferably an automatic in my opinion. Not really a fan of any of this CVT's. That's why I got my car manual.
I'm not in to manuals. And yes I was talking about youtube scotty. I plan on buying another car and making my civic a project car. So Im willing to fail by trying.
This will be years of blood sweat and tears, so I will be taking my time with it.

But I also know failing and money is part of the process to make things work

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I'm not in to manuals. And yes I was talking about youtube scotty. I plan on buying another car and making my civic a project car. So Im willing to fail by trying.
This will be years of blood sweat and tears, so I will be taking my time with it.

But I also know failing and money is part of the process to make things work

If you watch Scotty Kilmer a lot, you would know that he thinks changing large components like transmissions or engines on a modern car is crazy complex and unless you are a mechanical engineer, you should not even think about it because all of the hardcoded microchips that are in a modern car will not mesh with a different transmission/engine,...

You will spend more trying to do this than you paid for the car. And it will take you decades and it still won't work.

Scotty says don't mod your car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Thee_OX

First Name
GeeMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To be honest. I'm thinking toyota cvt can handle more torque and power. I could be wrong on that. And since manuals are going to be extinct, I'm just thinking ahead when it comes to transmission swap.
I'm not a mustang or Dodge guy. I love Chevy Camaro, but they're way too small for me so civic it is. I like what i like

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
To be honest. I'm thinking toyota cvt can handle more torque and power. I could be wrong on that.
You could indeed be wrong on that... AFAIK the max power and torque the Honda CVT is actually paired with (in the accord, CR-V and even the civic) exceeds the same for the Toyota CVT. Maybe better install in your civic the Nissan Maxima CVT. It should handle much more than the Honda CVT (at least initially :p). Good luck with your project.

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
To be honest. I'm thinking toyota cvt can handle more torque and power. I could be wrong on that. And since manuals are going to be extinct, I'm just thinking ahead when it comes to transmission swap.
I'm not a mustang or Dodge guy. I love Chevy Camaro, but they're way too small for me so civic it is. I like what i like
Just go and buy a Toyota.
Put your energy into something else that will change the world ???

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Scotty isn’t dumb. He has seen everything, worked on everything. He’s just severely biased toward Toyota because they have less problems than any other manufacturer.

He heard about the oil dilution problems in the 1.5T and is just running away with it. Says don’t buy this car with this engine in what feels like 100 videos now, but never looks into why it has those issues in the first place. The 1.5T has already proven to be one of the most efficient engines ever built. Plenty of people here have over 100k miles or close to it. Haven’t heard of many turbos failing either.

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
Scotty isn’t dumb. He has seen everything, worked on everything. He’s just severely biased toward Toyota because they have less problems than any other manufacturer.

He heard about the oil dilution problems in the 1.5T and is just running away with it. Says don’t buy this car with this engine in what feels like 100 videos now, but never looks into why it has those issues in the first place. The 1.5T has already proven to be one of the most efficient engines ever built. Plenty of people here have over 100k miles or close to it. Haven’t heard of many turbos failing either.
So you're saying he's seen anything and everything, but he's wrong about your car correct? LMAO ?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
So you're saying he's seen anything and everything, but he's wrong about your car correct? LMAO ?
That's exactly what I'm saying too.
Scotty gives perfect advice to the average Joe commuter. As we see clearly, even on this forum, many people are very afraid of oil dilution and are very nervous about it. They don't want to keep looking at the dipstick. It's an excellent advice for them to maybe buy another car.
For anyone who wants to look deeper, there is plenty of information available. I have this engine, I have oil dilution, and I would be happy to buy another one like this anytime.

One thing is certain: Scotty never advised anyone to take a Toyota transmission and put in a Honda. Besides, Honda has its own 10 speed AT.

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
Scotty Kilmer is your dad who reads a lot of Consumer Reports. He's better than your uncle who doesn't know what a transmission does, but that's not a high bar. If you actually know what you're doing, it's clear that he bases most of his videos on hearsay and opinion and presents it as demonstrable fact.

I can't stand him, but I wouldn't say his channel is valueless. If you actively don't want to learn about cars and just want to watch some popcorn, SK is great. If you're talking about doing cross manufacturer CVT swaps, you need to put down YouTube and pick up some service manuals and wiring diagrams.
Finally! Somebody who understands where I'm coming from!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Scotty Kilmer is your dad who reads a lot of Consumer Reports. He's better than your uncle who doesn't know what a transmission does, but that's not a high bar. If you actually know what you're doing, it's clear that he bases most of his videos on hearsay and opinion and presents it as demonstrable fact.

I can't stand him, but I wouldn't say his channel is valueless. If you actively don't want to learn about cars and just want to watch some popcorn, SK is great. If you're talking about doing cross manufacturer CVT swaps, you need to put down YouTube and pick up some service manuals and wiring diagrams.
I watch Scotty just because it’s funny to hear him rant generally - although I have actually found a few of his videos to be helpful.

Mostly it’s funny when someone brings up a GM, Nissan, FCA, or German car and he goes on a tirade about them being pieces of junk
Sponsored