Can you replace fog light bulbs with 50w LEDs?

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
An insult wasn’t intended... but there’s also no offense where none is taken. But, as an electrician, you can decide whether or not you want to tell me I’m correct again. (that’s a joke... take it as one this time... for the love of god).

Power is easy as PIV my friend... and even throwing in a power factor if needed, or multiple phases if needed, it’s an easy concept. Ohms power law needs not be used to attack someone.

I was mostly knocking on myself for not being licensed, though given my experience onboard subs for years... there’s pretty much nothing I can’t fix. When we go through our year and a half of training, which is nuclear more than electrical, were pretty trade-dumb and learn by having to fix everything that breaks... and everything does. That first year or so is exciting at times (which isn’t a good thing with electricity) and humbling.

18 months huh for a license though? Congratulations. Trades are a under appreciated skill in today’s college-to-be-successful world.

Still... I’ll be sitting here with my fluke, waiting for my lesson. Completing circuits with a multimeter to read current puts the F-U in fun when we’re playing with 110v. I won’t need to go get a bulb at Home Depot though... every lighting receptacle in my home has an LED bulb in it, and has for over 5 years.
314587CF-F490-48F4-865B-ABEECD9E2209.jpeg

Don’t forget to get the leads right! I don’t have a clamp on so we’ll have to get dirty with it. ;)
Fuck the clamp, no fun of you don't blow that fuse 2 or 3 times trying to figure it out lol
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fuck the clamp, no fun of you don't blow that fuse 2 or 3 times trying to figure it out lol
Damn right! I don’t know how many fuses laid down their life for me... but it’s been at least a pocketful. :thumbsup:

When I was a boy, I saw my old man take cheap hardware store analog multimeter and check across an oven’s receptacle. I guess he had it in amps... and blew the damn thing apart. He was left holding the probe end of the leads... the leads had pretty much disappeared... and the little plastic faceplate popped off... and flipped up and down in the air from the flash that came out of the meter part... and land at his feet.

I was maybe 10, but I still remember his saying, “Welp... I guess I need a new meter.” after a moment. At the time, I was just startled by the pop and thought He looked vaguely like Wile E Coyote. Thinking back, I can’t help but think it was pretty hilarious. Lucky he kept the skin on his fingers.

My dad did a little bit of everything... and most everything well, but his anything/everything else was better than him and electricity. He was my hero though... and a trip to the hardware store with him was always an adventure where we left with at least one thing we never planned on... so I was good with it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35719

Debatable on who's being an ass, but whatever, I wasn't trained by the navy, or any other branch of the military either, eligible for my license in 18 months tho, didn't mean to come off wrong but at first glance it was a bit insulting
LOL guys calm down thanks to you both for the input, I will take it to my university's lab to test out the current draw! LEts not argue on here haha

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Damn right! I don’t know how many fuses laid down their life for me... but it’s been at least a pocketful. :thumbsup:

When I was a boy, I saw my old man take cheap hardware store analog multimeter and check across an oven’s receptacle. I guess he had it in amps... and blew the damn thing apart. He was left holding the probe end of the leads... the leads had pretty much disappeared... and the little plastic faceplate popped off... and flipped up and down in the air from the flash that came out of the meter part... and land at his feet.

I was maybe 10, but I still remember his saying, “Welp... I guess I need a new meter.” after a moment. At the time, I was just startled by the pop and thought He looked vaguely like Wile E Coyote. Thinking back, I can’t help but think it was pretty hilarious. Lucky he kept the skin on his fingers.

My dad did a little bit of everything... and most everything well, but his anything/everything else was better than him and electricity. He was my hero though... and a trip to the hardware store with him was always an adventure where we left with at least one thing we never planned on... so I was good with it.
Don't have any such stories about my dad, he had a good management job with the government and paid people to do that stuff. I actually got my start in automotive engineering, long story as to why I'm not in that field anymore. Miss the money there, electricians under paid and under appreciated but love what I do

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LOL guys calm down thanks to you both for the input, I will take it to my university's lab to test out the current draw! LEts not argue on here haha
We not arguing, just slight misunderstanding lol
We're good.

Miss the money there, electricians under paid and under appreciated but love what I do
If you consider all of the modern things we have today that improve our quality of life... most have a wire running to it, or in some way depend on electricity to make it happen. It is one of the most taken-for-granted commodities we have. Far beyond information-age electronics... living without power is pretty much putting you back in the 1800s. Cold food storage is gone unless you live somewhere and have ice readily available. Cooling a modern home is gone and most are not build to be comfortable w/o a working A/C, like they were back in the day. Advanced medical care... done.
Being an electrician, whatever flavor... whether it's big distribution... commercial… residential for their initial builds/improvements... it's literally allowing people to have the things that make a modern lifestyle "modern". If someone talks down to you or your trade... just tell them to open the main to their house for a day and decide whether or not the product/service/trade you provide is important or necessary.
I think there's a renaissance in the works for all trade skills. College is great, but the beauty of someone who's willing to get in and apprentice and learn and work at the same time, getting paid a bit to earn a skill under a journeyman/master... and then in-turn, work their trade for a good wage while training the next generation of apprentices is a wonderful thing. Throwing a bunch of knowledge at young people in a college setting doesn't really bring about the understanding and, in turn, wisdom the practical application of gaining-knowledge-while-doing does.
It was customary back when the navy was a little more wild west for Electrical division to secure power things/locations when people were abusing equipment to remind them that power could be a lost privilege. Even now, if someone was to leave a bunch of crap in their pockets that melted out on the dryer's heating element... or a cook grounded out all the galley equipment by washing the ovens/food warmers with a hose... or a guy who dumped flour down the drain through the running garbage grinder because it have weevils in it and "made bread" and burnt it up... or any number of like things, then act like I need to drop everything and fix it because they're inconvenienced... yeah… those guys are going to be waiting a minute for me to go fix it for them.

I appreciate you! Take it easy.

So: LED headlights.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag

But did the magic smoke escape? Otherwise; I could fix that.

Glad that no one was hurt.