NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
so I have heard of changing like the rev limiter, and messing with launch control? Just trying to get to know my tune and the things I can do. Also I think my traction control light goes off pretty often can I change that while still having traction control of some type ? Hope your fridays are going good thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Not much, tune is locked.

Advanced VSA can be changed and the 2step if I recall correctly.

BBG settings can be changed.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
So what do you mean exactly by Advanced VSA can be changed, sorry im a complete noob and I dont really understand most of this stuff. Would I still have traction control of some sort to be safe? What is 2step and BBG and would I have to reflash to change this stuff ?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2 step is a lower rev limit so when you’re stationary and trying to launch your car you can pin your throttle and it’ll hold your RPMs at something like 3000 RPM with having to have your throttle at an intermediate position. Boost by Gear allows you to set a lower boost limit that’ll override the boost target and final boost target maps while in a gear. It is generally used in 1st and, by default is/was 18#. This is because the low gear provides so much wheel torque at full boost there would be excessive wheel spin. BBG was implemented before advanced VSA and having less power for less wheelspin was much less intrusive than the cars standard VSA implementing throttle pullback (closing the throttle regardless on whether you had your pedal pinned to the floor) which would make the car take off, kind of buck, fall on its face, then try and go again.

You need to adjust BBG settings to modify the values and reflash for them to take effect. I find 18-20 in 1st is good and have them to be not limiting in all other gears. A few have limiting settings in 5th/6th to prevent high levels of boost causing excess strain on the clutch as well. As I recall, you can change your 2 step RPM when operating the car. I use my foot to base my launch RPM and haven’t messed with it more than seeing that, in fact, it was a thing.
Advanced VSA uses ignition retard to reduce the amount of power w/o or as a combination with aforementioned throttle pullback to be a way of limiting wheel spin w/o the fall-on-your-face feel of standard VSA. There’s 3 settings as a combination of how much ignition retard and throttle pullback are used. I just the middle setting and find, especially in cool weather when the car is making obviously more power than its traction can use in 1st and 2nd gear... it does a good just at keeping you at the bleeding edge of wheelspin without the throttle getting slammed shut.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
2 step is a lower rev limit so when you’re stationary and trying to launch your car you can pin your throttle and it’ll hold your RPMs at something like 3000 RPM with having to have your throttle at an intermediate position. Boost by Gear allows you to set a lower boost limit that’ll override the boost target and final boost target maps while in a gear. It is generally used in 1st and, by default is/was 18#. This is because the low gear provides so much wheel torque at full boost there would be excessive wheel spin. BBG was implemented before advanced VSA and having less power for less wheelspin was much less intrusive than the cars standard VSA implementing throttle pullback (closing the throttle regardless on whether you had your pedal pinned to the floor) which would make the car take off, kind of buck, fall on its face, then try and go again.

You need to adjust BBG settings to modify the values and reflash for them to take effect. I find 18-20 in 1st is good and have them to be not limiting in all other gears. A few have limiting settings in 5th/6th to prevent high levels of boost causing excess strain on the clutch as well. As I recall, you can change your 2 step RPM when operating the car. I use my foot to base my launch RPM and haven’t messed with it more than seeing that, in fact, it was a thing.
Advanced VSA uses ignition retard to reduce the amount of power w/o or as a combination with aforementioned throttle pullback to be a way of limiting wheel spin w/o the fall-on-your-face feel of standard VSA. There’s 3 settings as a combination of how much ignition retard and throttle pullback are used. I just the middle setting and find, especially in cool weather when the car is making obviously more power than its traction can use in 1st and 2nd gear... it does a good just at keeping you at the bleeding edge of wheelspin without the throttle getting slammed shut.
Very informative thank you, since I have what I think is a traction control orange light blink pretty often and driving me crazy. Do you think it would be a bad idea to pull back vsa to have less effect and how would I go about doing that?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very informative thank you, since I have what I think is a traction control orange light blink pretty often and driving me crazy. Do you think it would be a bad idea to pull back vsa to have less effect and how would I go about doing that?
You can pedal dance (look it up) to completely disable VSA. You can long press the VSA and partially disable it... it’s still active and uses throttle pullback only but it allows a bit more slip before it steps in. IMO, the best thing to do is enable advanced VSA. Try it out in the moderate throttle pullback/moderate ignition retard setting. You’ll get minimal throttle pullback intrusion, based on my experience. I think it works the the ignition retard jumps in so quick to minimize wheelslip that the ORM throttle pull back aspect of it doesn’t have to step in anymore.

It’s all in whether or not the car is doing what you want I guess. My goals were to have a smoother application of power and minimize/eliminate the throttle pullback. For my goals, the AVSA moderate/moderate achieved that. In cooler weather I was finding the extra power from dense air and harder summer tires were a recipe for a lot of hurky-jerky wheelspin with VSA making for an unpleasant experience. AVSA solved that for me. I do think boost by gear is another good tool for 1st gear especially. No reason to command high boost levels in 1st that’d cause massive wheelspin then have to lean on AVSA to add massive amounts of ignition retard to pull back that power.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
You can pedal dance (look it up) to completely disable VSA. You can long press the VSA and partially disable it... it’s still active and uses throttle pullback only but it allows a bit more slip before it steps in. IMO, the best thing to do is enable advanced VSA. Try it out in the moderate throttle pullback/moderate ignition retard setting. You’ll get minimal throttle pullback intrusion, based on my experience. I think it works the the ignition retard jumps in so quick to minimize wheelslip that the ORM throttle pull back aspect of it doesn’t have to step in anymore.

It’s all in whether or not the car is doing what you want I guess. My goals were to have a smoother application of power and minimize/eliminate the throttle pullback. For my goals, the AVSA moderate/moderate achieved that. In cooler weather I was finding the extra power from dense air and harder summer tires were a recipe for a lot of hurky-jerky wheelspin with VSA making for an unpleasant experience. AVSA solved that for me. I do think boost by gear is another good tool for 1st gear especially. No reason to command high boost levels in 1st that’d cause massive wheelspin then have to lean on AVSA to add massive amounts of ignition retard to pull back that power.
Thanks.. how do I enable AVSA ? And you recommend the medium setting? I'm assuming the low setting has the least effect on pulling things back.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks.. how do I enable AVSA ? And you recommend the medium setting? I'm assuming the low setting has the least effect on pulling things back.
I just rebuilt my computer for VR and actually can’t log into the software (send in a password request) so I can’t verify. From memory... it will be one of the options to select to enable with a drop-down with mild ignition/aggressive pullback, moderate ignition/moderate pullback and aggressive ignition/mild pull back as your options. I chose the medium one. Once you select those options, re-save the tune in your Ktuner. Reflash your car.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag