Can we talk about the weird toxicity in FB Type R groups?

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
You guys have a weird obsession with Aston. Don't get me wrong I think the guy is an ass but you have to admit he's not solely responsible for the toxicity in our FK8 community. AND a few of the products he backs are great, you just have to do your own research, as with anything. FB as a whole is a dumpster fire. Everyone wants to be spoon fed the answer they want to hear. Everyone wants rock bottom pricing and hand delivery until its time for them to sell something of theirs.

I'm shocked every day our New England group is as quality as it is. We don't really have any a db's. However, I also own a couple fits and a couple 2nd gen integras and those groups have plenty of their own idiosyncrasies, and they're all kind of a mess one way or another. I think it gets worse as the cars get older. As snobbish as it sounds the the cost of entry keeps a lot of the idiots out. I bet you the R groups get worse over time as these cars become more attainable.

I still like FB, but I know what it is. I don't use it for anything but car stuff. My local group (New England Type-R for those of you in the NE area) is really chill. The CivicX Wake the Dragon group is very active on FB. That said, I WAY prefer instagram over facebook. I can cherry pick the cars I want to follow and the communication is just as good but on a person to person level without having to wade through group chatter.

My favorite (read: most aggravating) scrub facebook behavior is the inferiority complex response. No matter what the subject of your post is, inevitably, someone else will post as a response a picture of their car for no reason. Usually at a bad angle and the car is clapped.
Sponsored

Yoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT
Country flag
Honda-Tech in the late 90's early 2000's was the most toxic of all though..
Zero tolerance site. I was permanently banned and my IP address blocked to this day with no recourse. My crime? I didn't know new members couldn't post links. Someone was asking about a Honda valve adjustment procedure.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It was mostly just ctrmofo, moves to another group, gets banned, joins a couple more, and so it goes. Most owners are pretty normal.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Egos run high and tact runs low on Facebook. Combined with people from different phases in life (read: immature) it's a tinderbox ready to blow.

That being said, I still use it as it is a valuable source of customers for the modules I sell. I only really participate in the local Type R group which is generally well run and drama-free. Some odd posts here and there and some definite favoritism but it works.

Last edited:

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STI
Country flag
It was mostly just ctrmofo, moves to another group, gets banned, joins a couple more, and so it goes. Most owners are pretty normal.
is he the person that runs FK8Partreviews or something on IG?

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
if you wanna know the reason for most of the toxicity just look at who is in your avatar. That one person spread false info about multiple things yet he is free to keep posting things and has a cult following.

Also there is a lot of elitist mentalities on FB. I for one will not hate on a FK7 owner. Everyone comes from different walks of life and just cuz someone has a different version of the car you own isn't a reason to hate on their mods or what not, or view them as a lesser person.

It bothers me sometimes that people will call each other out on their mods.. and go so far as to make it known their build is better than others.. Everyone builds their cars for themselves and of course some for clout but I wish there was less hate when it came to that topic but there never will be. Everyone will always have an opinion but deep down this is the beauty of modding.. it is our vision not your vision for our respective builds... either way FB is toxic and in this day of age where social media is sometimes the most important thing to the younger crowd...clout is what gets you to "cool" status.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Honda-Tech in the late 90's early 2000's was the most toxic of all though... Way worse than what we see today on FB.
Honda-Tech was my go to place when I had my 5th gen hatch, GSR, and ITR. Now it's a place cluttered with ads.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
if you wanna know the reason for most of the toxicity just look at who is in your avatar. That one person spread false info about multiple things yet he is free to keep posting things and has a cult following.

Also there is a lot of elitist mentalities on FB. I for one will not hate on a FK7 owner. Everyone comes from different walks of life and just cuz someone has a different version of the car you own isn't a reason to hate on their mods or what not, or view them as a lesser person.

It bothers me sometimes that people will call each other out on their mods.. and go so far as to make it known their build is better than others.. Everyone builds their cars for themselves and of course some for clout but I wish there was less hate when it came to that topic but there never will be. Everyone will always have an opinion but deep down this is the beauty of modding.. it is our vision not your vision for our respective builds... either way FB is toxic and in this day of age where social media is sometimes the most important thing to the younger crowd...clout is what gets you to "cool" status.
people love validation from a crowd theyll never meet in person ?‍♂. strange times we live in lol

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda-Tech in the late 90's early 2000's was the most toxic of all though... Way worse than what we see today on FB.
I was a regular in honda-tech during that time. Although I only hung out in the ITR and the road-racing forums. I can't remember much bad behavior but maybe I just blocked it out? I seem to only remember good things. :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'm kind of afraid of FK7 owners... You know because FK7 8 9. I'll see myself out now.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was a regular in honda-tech during that time. Although I only hung out in the ITR and the road-racing forums. I can't remember much bad behavior but maybe I just blocked it out? I seem to only remember good things. :)
I was also a huge HT guy back in the day. I think what happened on there was this almost collective mentality that Honda’s suck and the off topic (general discussion and debate) section of the forum became the most popular spot. It almost became lame to actually be a Honda fan on there or something. Prior to that HT was such an awesome place.

Arch

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because FB...
What he said. FB groups seem to be full of shouty asshats, forums (in general) for a more mature, invested audience.
Sponsored