Can we talk about the weird toxicity in FB Type R groups?

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I really want to give it to the CivicX forums - they've cultivated a really good atmosphere here for this car. Even when all of the negativity of small issues in the early days. In fact, I started out as a hater in the early 2017 days because of the look of the car. These forums and time helped me understand what really was amazing with the FK8 platform.

What I wanted to mention was the weird toxicity on the FB based Type R groups. How has this been allowed to go on so long? What's weirder, is there's now like 35 active FB FK8 groups and all have common memberships and common Admins and contain all of the same content.

I guess my point here is - how did it come to this situation, where content outside of CivicX is spread so far across many groups? It seems most of these groups are just some weird marketing campaign where certain brands are pushed super hard with some sort of hidden agenda.

It's like the Graham Rahal stuff is pushed VERY hard on FB, but not a peep of it here. Same with the Polish CF trim - it's presence is HEAVY on FB, but doesn't exist here.

I'm now watching the XDI fuel pump, which seems like a great value and addition, getting flamed on FB left and right and the Hondata fuel solution being pushed super hard. Why is this?
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mainly because it’s just two different types of people. Those on car forums are generally less about clout and more about science. FB groups in general are toxic, car related or not. The clout squad doesn’t even know how to use forums or know what they are.

CivicX is only a fraction of overall owners, especially nowadays, so manufacturers don’t spend too much time here.

XDI getting flamed is entirely because of that dipshit Aston whom was banned from here within months if not weeks for the same crap he’s pulling now. I can’t see it anymore because he blocked me from all his pages after I provided proof that the XDI can be used to do E50 at full boost with no other upgrades.

CivicX still remains the last bastion of good discussion, other than the track group on FB.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The reason you dont see it on CivicX is because the main culprit at the center of said toxicity in your avatar is banned from this group.

You cannot run a group that reviews products that come from paid advertisers without having bias and/or skepticism from people reading the reviews.

In addition, it doesnt help that this person is incapable of being wrong, and anytime someone speaks out against them they get banned.

Well never know the reason why some people push one product over another super hard, because its as you said, a "hidden agenda". The only thing we can trust (hopefully) is the ability of manufacturers and tuners to do the experimentation and post said experimentation results for others to see.

The ability to push this platform forward relies partly on the community being willing to think outside the box and push the envelope in addition to actually sharing information that is worthwhile, AKA not an excel doc with made up numbers and fancy words on it, but datalogs and the like.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
I've been on car forums (admined and moderated on them since 1998) clubsi, honda-tech, ephatch,clubrsx, jdmuniverse etc etc

I deleted my facebook stuff about 12yrs ago and it was the BEST thing ever lol

Theres four types of forum members... the contributor, the absorber , the showoff & the troll
Facebook & instagram move too fast and gauge the wrong metrics of what real car people (who want info at least) need.
Some guy will wrap his grill in vinyl and you'll see 120390 pics of it in every angle taken ONE DAY and staggered over a year lol
Facebook... its a mish mosh of craigslist sellers, people who think they are more elite, kids with money, guys who financed the car at 14% n max out credit cards lol

Forums move signifcantly slower so you can cherry pick what you need and also its too much work for the Ig guys to type anything that is more than 5 words or some rap quote one liner about being blessed....& then pasting 90hashtags from their iPhone notes

Just my 02

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Because FB...
This 100%. I've run online niche (automotive and other) forums since the late '90's. Even before Facebook was a thing.

I refuse to even have a presence on FB because in general it is so toxic and most posting there are so self absorbed.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's like the Graham Rahal stuff is pushed VERY hard on FB, but not a peep of it here. Same with the Polish CF trim - it's presence is HEAVY on FB, but doesn't exist here.

I'm now watching the XDI fuel pump, which seems like a great value and addition, getting flamed on FB left and right and the Hondata fuel solution being pushed super hard. Why is this?
dont forget HRS tailights and german carbon fiber spoiler blades ;)

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Aston and his “team” are being paid by those manufactures to do “reviews” which is why those specific brands get pushed hard. If it’s not those brands he supports he flames them. The reviews aren’t even reviews, they’re ads. I was blocked a year ago or so because I asked him how could he test a product on track if he’s never been on one.

Fb is just more toxic in general because you have a bunch of wannabe/know it all’s that want instant gratification. Most of the time the stuff that gets said is inaccurate too.

The only FK8 FB group worth being in really is the FK8 Track Cars page. There’s actual meaningful discussions and good sharing of credible information.

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
It’s a simple fix delete the FB groups and stay active over here. I will say I’ve never been part of a forum that not only has close to no drama (currently) but also has a great wealth of information and knowledgeable members..and I’ve been part of many including non import. Import forums to me have been notorious for drama and arguments..I hope this continues here!

oberstja

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Without this CivicX forum I wouldn’t of been able to do the research I wanted before beginning the process of modding my Civic. I know of one good CivicX Facebook group, it’s for owners who live in the Pacific Northwest. No toxicity there, but could just be an outlier. The CivicX forum is one of the best resources available in my opinion for most ideas/mods/questions involving your civic. I also like the community on here as well

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I really want to give it to the CivicX forums - they've cultivated a really good atmosphere here for this car. Even when all of the negativity of small issues in the early days. In fact, I started out as a hater in the early 2017 days because of the look of the car. These forums and time helped me understand what really was amazing with the FK8 platform.

What I wanted to mention was the weird toxicity on the FB based Type R groups. How has this been allowed to go on so long? What's weirder, is there's now like 35 active FB FK8 groups and all have common memberships and common Admins and contain all of the same content.

I guess my point here is - how did it come to this situation, where content outside of CivicX is spread so far across many groups? It seems most of these groups are just some weird marketing campaign where certain brands are pushed super hard with some sort of hidden agenda.

Judging by your avatar, you kind of know why this is. As for why things are getting pushed and flamed, it’s a fairly simple pattern. If the manufacturer sends the review group free stuff and pays them (they call this a “partnership”): they are posted about often, pushed extremely hard, and with much positive feedback. If the manufacturer doesn’t, then this is taken personally, they are crapped on, and lies are pushed to make the ”partnering” manufacturer’s parts seem better. In some cases they might be, in others it’s about equal, and in others it might not be.

Can anyone give me an explanation of what happened with the bans here ?
Short story, spamming each product he got in the “What did you do today“ thread, making its own dedicated thread, then going into threads about competitor products and spamming about how the competitor product is crap (typically with BS or blatantly false reasoning).

After being let go for this, he started his crusade on FB pushing the idea that this forum is full of idiots, wannabes, and misinformation. Inquiring about this lead him to eventually admit that there were financial reasons why he was bashing the forums. I probably won’t say anything more specific about it and let you connect the dots about what all this means.
Sponsored

Last edited: