Can we talk about the weird toxicity in FB Type R groups?

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Civic Si and Type R groups throughout Facebook are full of smut and smut promoters, including the admins that run these groups. Many of these groups say "zero tolerance on politics and political topics, because this is an auto group" but don't enforce that policy when political posts occur in the groups which are favorable toward the administrator's views.

I reported a political post to one of the admins on a FB Civic Si group that I was once in and the admin said, "the post you are reporting is a meme of a political figure, but not a political post, so the post is not violating group rules"...are you kidding me? I left the group immediately. Other Type R groups have admins who make backhanded political comments as well, despite the group policy having "zero tolerance" for political commentary.

I appreciate that this forum has almost non existent political posts. Even if folks stated things in line with my views, it's best to keep politics out of the forum because it will distance others and ultimately make the forum less dynamic and diminish the community.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
What I wanted to mention was the weird toxicity on the FB based Type R groups. How has this been allowed to go on so long? What's weirder, is there's now like 35 active FB FK8 groups and all have common memberships and common Admins and contain all of the same content.
Yea, I recently learned there are 2 FB groups for Arizona. They too seem to be mostly the same membership. But reading the group names, descriptions, and creations dates does give some clue that some drama obviously happened. I'm just not interested enough to look into it more.

Like many things online, I just find the places that work for me and don't bother with the drama. Perhaps I just expect a lot of crap and am pretty good at avoiding it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just reading this thread and a few of the longer posts outlining the bullshit and drama on Facebook makes me glad I wisely chose to never be a part of it.

I dislike Facebook for another reason as well. Back in the late 90's and throughout the 2000's, niche forums like CivicX were everywhere. It was an awesome time for quality forums. I ran one. The community feel and camaraderie was unreal.

Then along came FB and eveyone and his brother decided to start their own FB groups on the same niche subjects. Over time, this diluted the quality and activity at the same forum communities. A lot of them faded away, sadly.

FB blows.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just reading this thread and a few of the longer posts outlining the bullshit and drama on Facebook makes me glad I wisely chose to never be a part of it.

I dislike Facebook for another reason as well. Back in the late 90's and throughout the 2000's, niche forums like CivicX were everywhere. It was an awesome time for quality forums. I ran one. The community feel and camaraderie was unreal.

Then along came FB and eveyone and his brother decided to start their own FB groups on the same niche subjects. Over time, this diluted the quality and activity at the same forum communities. A lot of them faded away, sadly.

FB blows.
Honda-Tech in the late 90's early 2000's was the most toxic of all though... Way worse than what we see today on FB.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
because Facebook groups make the common mistake of instead of focusing on the CAR itself they focus on the human behind driving the car. We don't care about YOU lol we care about the FK8

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda-Tech in the late 90's early 2000's was the most toxic of all though... Way worse than what we see today on FB.
A lot of it depends on how a place is run. I had a zero tolerance policy for two things... spam and personal flames.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag

FB blows.
Man, those were the golden years of the internet. Back then people made content for the sake of creativity and passion. Forums basically ruled the internet. I could spend 12+ hours a day on website after website if I had the time. I still have friends today that I met in forums just discussing random stuff. Nowadays I visit like 5 sites and I’m tired of being online after an hour. I have no interest in interacting with anyone outside of Civicx members, who so far have all been really cool people. Online communities have gone to shit thanks to social media. It’s sad and I feel sorry for people who grew up in the era of FB and IG who never got to experience things as they once were.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
It doesnt matter whether its on a FB group, car forum, or people in the community at car events. Theres always a level of toxicity. People just feel better about expressing these things behind a computer screen.

Sometimes I think its blown out of proportion because you have people that are super sensitive and I think thats when you should just hit the "ignore" button or the equivalent depending on what platform youre on.

While there are certainly bad things, theres a lot of good shit that comes from these online groups too. Despite the random trolling and repeated "rock in my brake" posts, Ive learned a good amount of stuff and continue to do so.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Judging by your avatar, you kind of know why this is. As for why things are getting pushed and flamed, it’s a fairly simple pattern. If the manufacturer sends the review group free stuff and pays them (they call this a “partnership”): they are posted about often, pushed extremely hard, and with much positive feedback. If the manufacturer doesn’t, then this is taken personally, they are crapped on, and lies are pushed to make the ”partnering” manufacturer’s parts seem better. In some cases they might be, in others it’s about equal, and in others it might not be.

Short story, spamming each product he got in the “What did you do today“ thread, making its own dedicated thread, then going into threads about competitor products and spamming about how the competitor product is crap (typically with BS or blatantly false reasoning).

After being let go for this, he started his crusade on FB pushing the idea that this forum is full of idiots, wannabes, and misinformation. Inquiring about this lead him to eventually admit that there were financial reasons why he was bashing the forums. I probably won’t say anything more specific about it and let you connect the dots about what all this means.
Weird thing is after that one big post came out and exposed him as a fraud, he went silent for quite a while, I actually thought he left the Reviews "team" (as they like to call themselves).
I've since heard he is back (he banned me years ago after a KTuner/Hondata debate).

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
As @Lust mentioned, the only reason I’m on Facebook (with a fake name and no friends) is because of the FK8 track group. That is a quality bunch of folks who seem very genuine.

Funny a lot of you mention the “good ol days” of car forums. Some of my closest friends to this day were from team-integra and ls1gto. Hell, I randomly run across an old Team Integra member on civicx a few months back. Was great to catch up. When I deleted FB, IG, and Snapchat 3 years ago, I wished I had done it sooner. Social media is a bleeping cesspool of bs.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Weird thing is after that one big post came out and exposed him as a fraud, he went silent for quite a while, I actually thought he left the Reviews "team" (as they like to call themselves).
I've since heard he is back (he banned me years ago after a KTuner/Hondata debate).
Someone had asked where he went as he disappeared. I called him out claiming he wanted power and control and never wanted to help people. He came back after that ?

Deane

First Name
Deane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ariel Atom 3S
Country flag
The people on Facebook don't even know how to properly use their browser. I have seen them open the browser. Google is their only start page. Then they type in "Facebook" to locate it! Wow!
The people that create these FB groups do so because they don't know how to set up a real website. In general they are too lazy to learn these things. FB makes it easy for them to start an interest group. That is why there are ~35 of them! FB caters to lazy people and takes advantage of the fact that there are a lot of lazy, stupid people out there.
Sponsored