Can we make a pops and crackles map happen?

Moe.k

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic coupe
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pops and crackles are caused by unburnt fuel bleeding into the exhaust manifold and then igniting from the heat. This is kind of how anti-lag works.

I've made posts about anti-lag before on the Facebook groups, but I guess I'll reiterate here.

Unless you're racing competitively, or have money set aside to replace your turbo, don't do it. You're just chasing sound, at a high cost to your car. WRC cars get a new turbo after every race, largely because of the anti-lag. These late combustions will destroy your turbo and create excess and unnecessary heat and buildup throughout your entire exhaust.

If you just want some burbles and stuff, just get a more open downpipe and exhaust.
I don’t have a turbo and I have catless
Sponsored

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
You still have exhaust valves/ stem seals.....
Precisely. It's just not really all that good for cars in general. The only time it's acceptable is when it's done intentionally for performance reasons (i.e. anti-lag), and even then you should be cognizant and prepared for the stress it's putting on your car.

Moral of the story: you can get plenty of cool sounds from modifications that won't harm your car.

Moe.k

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic coupe
Country flag
Precisely. It's just not really all that good for cars in general. The only time it's acceptable is when it's done intentionally for performance reasons (i.e. anti-lag), and even then you should be cognizant and prepared for the stress it's putting on your car.

Moral of the story: you can get plenty of cool sounds from modifications that won't harm your car.
Okay cool thank you

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Someone should design the perfect crack and pop exhaust system for the 105h gens. Of all the available cat back systems... only a few sound good.

I went custom, before there were available CAT backs. I'll pop and crackle if I'm letting off the gas below 1,500rpms

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And You wonder why California has that new exhaust law lol

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Exhausts aren't allowed to pop and crack in California. Just the ground

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I find it to be odd how bad all of the 10th gen exhausts sound even relative to other "headifold" DI platforms. I love the sound of the exhaust on the Veloster N in N-Mode, so clearly it's possible for a DI, headifold style engine to sound awesome.

My Type R performs like a race car, but sounds like my mom's 20 year old vacuum.

Moe.k

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic coupe
Country flag
I don’t really think add some fuel will damage the engine because the pops happen in the exhaust header and I’m running cat less so I shouldn’t be damaging anything right???

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don’t really think add some fuel will damage the engine because the pops happen in the exhaust header and I’m running cat less so I shouldn’t be damaging anything right???
You still have valves, gaskets, etc... Things outside of the cylinder aren't really intended to be directly exposed to combustion. And it still leaves the whole excess heat and buildup thing to deal with.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Really you being n/a and catless it should be fine I guess if you just are looking to drive people crazy with gunshot backfires. Burbles wont hurt much but isnt ideal.

Moe.k

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic coupe
Country flag
You still have valves, gaskets, etc... Things outside of the cylinder aren't really intended to be directly exposed to combustion. And it still leaves the whole excess heat and buildup thing to deal with.
Yeah but is a little extra of fuel really gonna ruin the engine like that

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not gonna flat out ruin it immediately, but that kind of stuff adds up over time and could very well cause some problems.

Like @PowerPerLiter said, you're a little better off being that you don't have a turbo to worry about, but that still doesn't mean it's good for your car.

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
How do you intend on adding the "right amount" of extra fuel? Exposing anything outside the combustion chamber to an explosion is an awful idea. Dumping extra fuel to get this effect is just as dumb. Idk why you are so hell bent on making your car something that is going to not only annoy your neighbors and everyone else you drive by but also damage your engine.

Moe.k

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic coupe
Country flag
How do you intend on adding the "right amount" of extra fuel? Exposing anything outside the combustion chamber to an explosion is an awful idea. Dumping extra fuel to get this effect is just as dumb. Idk why you are so hell bent on making your car something that is going to not only annoy your neighbors and everyone else you drive by but also damage your engine.
Yeah I guess ur right
Sponsored