Can the electronic Parking brake mess up if you keep pushing it on/off?

ChrisR

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic
Country flag
So I’m just wondering, is it possible for the electronic parking brake on the 2019 civic to mess up if you keep pushing it on/off? Can it be damaged? I’m just talking about when the car is parked and you’re just playing with it lol.
Sponsored

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Asking for a friend, right? lol

I would say, no. I'd think it would have to have the same robustness as a manual parking brake or I don't think it would be allowed to exist.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
So I’m just wondering, is it possible for the electronic parking brake on the 2019 civic to mess up if you keep pushing it on/off? Can it be damaged? I’m just talking about when the car is parked and you’re just playing with it lol.
If repeatedly applied and released, the motors might get hot, but I suspect they're designed to withstand quite a bit of heat considering they're mounted to the brake calipers.

There's no caution in the owner's manual or information in the service information against frequent cycling of the electric parking brake so it shouldn't be any more harmful than repeatedly bucking and unbuckling your seat belt while parked in your garage.

Unless you cycle the parking brake hundreds of times each day out of boredom or some sick attempt to destroy the system, it should outlast your ownership period of the vehicle. :)

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I wouldn’t keep playing with it out of boredom even though in theory it should be ok. Anything can break. Will it break, most likely not.

I think you need a fidget spinner thingy. ;)

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Its like when my mom would say I'm going to break the window button if I keep playing with it.
Obviously its not going to brake, pun intended.
But like people said, everything that is mechanical that moves can eventually break with enough cycles. But this is something that would be used 6-10 times per day, which in about 10 years can be close to 40,000 cycles. AT that point who knows what would happen.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Its like when my mom would say I'm going to break the window button if I keep playing with it.
Obviously its not going to brake, pun intended.
Reminds me of a local tire, brake and exhaust place. Their slogan was,

“ We’ll fix it so it brakes!”:D

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I too was thinking of power windows, lol.

Use them responsibly and they’ll likely last forever. Abuse them and you’ll be spending money.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
Be warned, that parking brake switch isn't exactly the gold standard for longevity. I had to take my car in for warranty because the switch just quit working out of the blue.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Be warned, that parking brake switch isn't exactly the gold standard for longevity. I had to take my car in for warranty because the switch just quit working out of the blue.
That's the first I've ever heard of a parking brake switch failure - likely, an isolated occurrence and in no way representative of the durability of parking brake switches in general.
Sponsored