Can someone explain clutch slip better than...google?

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i read articles, reddit threads, im still just not getting it.

how will i know its happening? i think ppl were saying you press gas but dont accelerate? how can you tell between that and say flashing a new tune that has a boost curve that falls off? wouldnt that feel the same? basically i got a ktuner and cant tell if im slipping or not. base map on 19.5/23, and I have tsp just scared to upload it.

I did WOT in second gear, and towards the top of the rpm range it stopped "pulling" (as hard), is that slip or the boost curve falling off (i would assume that, since I've had cars with bigger turbos that...dont...but they came with 16lbs or heavier clutch pedals)

ty fam <3
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
i read articles, reddit threads, im still just not getting it.

how will i know its happening? i think ppl were saying you press gas but dont accelerate? how can you tell between that and say flashing a new tune that has a boost curve that falls off? wouldnt that feel the same? basically i got a ktuner and cant tell if im slipping or not. base map on 19.5/23, and I have tsp just scared to upload it.

I did WOT in second gear, and towards the top of the rpm range it stopped "pulling" (as hard), is that slip or the boost curve falling off (i would assume that, since I've had cars with bigger turbos that...dont...but they came with 16lbs or heavier clutch pedals)

ty fam <3

What you're explaining, the WOT in 2nd gear and it stopped "pulling" at the top of the RPM range , is actually the fuel cut-off at redline. You were already in gear and not changing gears, so that's not your clutch slipping.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
It's really hard to describe. If you've done it, then it is unmistakable, sometimes. Basically you just "feel" that the engine isn't pulling like it usually does. Yes, power fall off kinda feels like it, but not really.

When it's really bad, it feels like your driving an automatic transmission. You press the gas, the engine revs up, and then the speed of the car catches up. But the type of clutch slipping these guys are talking about occurs in the upper RPMs, and would kind of feel like a power drop off.

So the real danger here is that unless your sensitive to it based on past experience, that you wouldn't notice it until is does get obviously bad.

So yes, you're entering the cadre of daring people who are pushing your car to its limits, with all of the "danger" associated with it.
Most people who tune on this forum end up needing a clutch sooner rather than later.

Some say that if you limit boost to less than 250 ft./lbs. then you can get away with it. Some say that would be equivalent to a 21 pound, or better yet 19.5 pound, tune. Since the Si factory limit is 20 pounds, you would think that you could get away with 21.

I don't have a tune. I'm just entertained by all of the people on here who are.

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's kinda hard to explain. You just know it's happening. Your RPMs will shoot up way quicker than normal, but the car won't go anywhere unless you back off the throttle and ease back into it.
that was actually really well and concisely explained lol, despite your disclaimer

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's really hard to describe. If you've done it, then it is unmistakable, sometimes. Basically you just "feel" that the engine isn't pulling like it usually does. Yes, power fall off kinda feels like it, but not really.

When it's really bad, it feels like your driving an automatic transmission. You press the gas, the engine revs up, and then the speed of the car catches up. But the type of clutch slipping these guys are talking about occurs in the upper RPMs, and would kind of feel like a power drop off.

So the real danger here is that unless your sensitive to it based on past experience, that you wouldn't notice it until is does get obviously bad.

So yes, you're entering the cadre of daring people who are pushing your car to its limits, with all of the "danger" associated with it.
Most people who tune on this forum end up needing a clutch sooner rather than later.

Some say that if you limit boost to less than 250 ft./lbs. then you can get away with it. Some say that would be equivalent to a 21 pound, or better yet 19.5 pound, tune. Since the Si factory limit is 20 pounds, you would think that you could get away with 21.

I don't have a tune. I'm just entertained by all of the people on here who are.
I think i completely get it, including the part about not being able to get it since I have no prior experience if its in the upper band. I uploaded TSP, ill stick with 21psi, as thats plenty good enough for my DD civic lol.

Honestly the clutch needs to be replaced from the factory anyways. when I test drove this car, I drove my sti to the dealer, and the for like the whole test drive, everytime I pressed the clutch I accidentally slammed it into the floor, enough times and noticeably enough that the salesperson said something cuz he heard it thunking against the footwell wall lol.

ONEPNT5.Si

First Name
Dustyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Si
Country flag
that was actually really well and concisely explained lol, despite your disclaimer
A buddy of mine refers to a car with a slipping clutch as having "infinite gears". Not infinite in the sense that you actually have an infinite number of gears, but infinite as in, the gears that you do have never end. The car just revs up and continues to try to work to get somewhere, but doesn't move.

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A buddy of mine refers to a car with a slipping clutch as having "infinite gears". Not infinite in the sense that you actually have an infinite number of gears, but infinite as in, the gears that you do have never end. The car just revs up and continues to try to work to get somewhere, but doesn't move.
so a free DIY mod to turn it into a mazda rx7!!!! (joking)

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
also, that sounds horrible

Nostake

First Name
jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
see more tuned SI needing a cluth sooner than non SI tuned Civics, i think all civics except the R got the same raggedy clutch :( SI the weakness is just more apparant because the car makes a bit more power and torque especially when tuned.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
My stock clutch started slipping on the TSP Stage1 tune. Traditionally, the RPMs should should shoot up fast, yet you do not feel it pulling any harder.

Theoretically, you should immediately feel the slip if you gun it earlier in the RPM range because that is where the vehicle makes the most torque 2500-3200rpm.

Now here is what happened to me. - I gunned my car @ 2500rpm in 3rd gear. Revs climbed to 4k and just HOVERED @ 4k RPM for a few seconds. The revs didn't climb up any higher. I immediately noticed the car just stopped pulling and looked at the rev counter for about two seconds. After I saw it just hovering there, I realized "from somethings wrong" to "oh that must be slippage".

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
There is also a sound that is unmistakably clutch slip. It sounds kind of like someone dragging a heavy carpet across the floor (I assume this is the sound of the clutch or whatever rubbing instead of grabbing against the disc). When it happens you will know immediately. If you’re still unsure then you haven’t slipped the clutch yet.

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
Didn’t read the thread, but- if you are familiar with how a clutch functions, it’s pretty basic.

Even if you’re not that knowledgeable or experienced- sound, feel and your tach are pretty good indicators

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
It’s kind of like the thingamagigy goes down while the other one goes up with some gas and Revving and the car kind of like goes be bop buu dooowweeyyyupp pop ping bang chitty chitt poo pow. And then it moves

Always remembers to eat your J E L L O!
Sponsored