Can I use Ktuner with an Automatic CVT 17' Hatch Sport?

PopsiclePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Hey guys,

This is my second Honda vehicle, proior to this I had a 2013 Civic Touring and kept it stock.

Apologies if threads like this have come up in the past..

So lately I have dabbled into some light modification on my Hatchback Sport (owned it for almost 6months now) and I want to start getting into performance upgrades. I know what Ktuner and Hondata are in a nutshell so to speak but I am unclear if it is safe to use with my CVT Automatic hatch.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
In a nutshell, they change the way your car's brain (ECU) thinks about how it runs. With both Ktuner and Hondata, you get some base maps (reflashes) that change the ECU's thinking regarding fuel, air, torque, the turbo, etc. that help you gain some power relative to what you're looking for (and they are usually pretty well labeled). So if you are looking for some easy power, get a tuning device and reflash with the a base map. Just be aware of what you're potentially doing to your car.

OP
OP
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a nutshell, they change the way your car's brain (ECU) thinks about how it runs. With both Ktuner and Hondata, you get some base maps (reflashes) that change the ECU's thinking regarding fuel, air, torque, the turbo, etc. that help you gain some power relative to what you're looking for (and they are usually pretty well labeled). So if you are looking for some easy power, get a tuning device and reflash with the a base map. Just be aware of what you're potentially doing to your car.
Thanks for the great response! So if there is anything else at all you or anyone can share about what my next steps would be that would be great! Or even if you can give me a link or 2 if resources to check out that you think would be useful for me to see. As opppsed to making everyone do all the research for me. I just have zero idea where to even begin !

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is a good initial read to understand what you get with the Hondata, by @gtman:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/hondata-flashpro-6-psi-my-ongoing-review.21931/
There is some good discussion in the pages following the initial review regarding hondata flashpro.

On this forum, you are going to find a constant battle between hondata vs ktuner, some arguments with valid points, and others with strawman arguments. In reality, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I went with Hondata because I felt a trust in their length of time and experience. But I also see the positives in the Ktuner 2.0 due to their touch screen and being able to see you car's "stats" as you drive (if you're into that).

Professional tuner's across the land tune on both platforms, but there are even more tuning products out there. Those just happen to be the two biggest out there with the most street cred and results.

Here is a thread from Ktuner themselves regarding one of their base maps:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/ktuner-extended-testing-and-tune-results.21481/

A big draw to the Ktuners in the past year was that this dude VitViper was doing e-tunes on Ktuner's exclusively (you hook up your ktuner to your OBD2 port, do some pulls and regular driving while the ktuner records, and then send him the datalog) and he would adjust the ECU file on his end, then you upload the new file to your ECU as a reflash. He was pulling some great custom power out of our engines, but then he vanished when he got another job and now you have to seek out other tuners for e-tunes. Hondata is currently really focused on the Type-R it seems, so we haven't seen a new base map for other platforms in a while. Both the flashpro and Ktuner allow you to get into the nitty gritty though, and custom tune your own car if you learn how to do it properly/have the moxy to take that on.

Everything is learnable if you really want to get into it. It just takes a lot of diligence and exploration.

OP
OP
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really appreciate it! I will have a look at those links

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
The answer is definitely yes, and great information above. I constantly see mention of how long the companies have been tuning when comparing one to the other. I've been in this line of work for 18 years of my life, as I also created the OBD1 Honda tuning software NepTune - HRTuning.com. KTuner was branched off as a separate company for multiple reasons, but it's part of a larger family that has a lot of history with Honda/Acura tuning, as well as many other facets.

OP
OP
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The answer is definitely yes, and great information above. I constantly see mention of how long the companies have been tuning when comparing one to the other. I've been in this line of work for 18 years of my life, as I also created the OBD1 Honda tuning software NepTune - HRTuning.com. KTuner was branched off as a separate company for multiple reasons, but it's part of a larger family that has a lot of history with Honda/Acura tuning, as well as many other facets.
The reason why I ask is because I mostly see people with manual transmissions in the forums talking about tunes but never someone with an automatic transmission yet alone one with a cvt, maybe it'sbecause I haven't been around this site long enough.

How much hp gains could I recieve with Ktuner? And will it get rid of any turbolag?

Appreciate you sharing that with us thats incredible! Sounds like a dream career you got

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have a CVT turbo Civic and I'm tuned and so are many others on this forum. I ultimately went with the CARB Flashpro which seemed to fit my need for a simple set and forget emission friendly tuning solution. But KTuner is also fantastic and has many great virtues. Both will work well with the CVT.

In terms of CVT versus manual and power gains, there's no getting around the fact that a manual can safely handle more torque than a CVT. And torque equals usable acceleration. But the gains with the CVT are very noticeable. On 93 octane, I'd say I'm easily gaining 30hp and 40lb/ft of torque on the +6 tune. The first time you gun it above 3500 rpm you will have a huge grin on your face. Ktuner offers equal or better numbers. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either companies tunes.

As far as turbo lag, you can minimize it somewhat but there is also some CVT lag which can't be programmed out.

@lurker_j thanks for the props you gave me on my +6 thread.

Last edited:

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@KTuner I meant nothing about the quality of your work, it was just my own research ignorance putting me at my current standpoint. I apologize if it came off as disrespectful and didn't mean to downplay Ktuner at all. Considering the use of your product by a significant amount of the Honda community, I see that as a testament to the quality of your work and experience as well. I just spoke about Hondata as I did based off what I've seen and followed over my short time getting serious about modifying my car. There is always more for me to learn regarding the amount of work and experience that goes into creating these advanced products.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We're lucky to have two excellent tuning solutions for our cars. It's amazing how easy it is to add a base tune and the results transform the car. In the past, I've modded my cars with intakes and free flowing exhausts and bored out throttle bodies and all kind of little things to eek out more power. With an ECU tune, in 5 minutes you have huge power gains and that's without doing any other mod.

Some will say we're putting extra strain on the drivetrain. And that's true. The question is... how much? I feel fairly confident Ktuner and Hondata base tunes are safe and shouldn't effect longevity to any major extent.

Last edited:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
@KTuner I meant nothing about the quality of your work, it was just my own research ignorance putting me at my current standpoint. I apologize if it came off as disrespectful and didn't mean to downplay Ktuner at all. Considering the use of your product by a significant amount of the Honda community, I see that as a testament to the quality of your work and experience as well. I just spoke about Hondata as I did based off what I've seen and followed over my short time getting serious about modifying my car. There is always more for me to learn regarding the amount of work and experience that goes into creating these advanced products.
Oh no, you're good. Not at all taken that way, just wanted to put that out there for those who may not know. Thank you for the comment, though!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In terms of CVT versus manual and power gains, there's no getting around the fact that a manual can safely handle more torque than a CVT. And torque equals usable acceleration. But the gains with the CVT are very noticeable. On 93 octane, I'd say I'm easily gaining 30hp and 40lb/ft of torque on the +6 tune. The first time you gun it above 3500 rpm you will have a huge grin on your face. Ktuner offers equal or better numbers. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either companies tunes.

As far as turbo lag, you can minimize it somewhat but there is also some CVT lag which can't be programmed out.
gtman makes some great points. Here's a suggestion from my limited experience on this platform (To PopsiclePet). Remember we have a FWD vehicle. The CVT makes all the usable torque it needs. What do I mean? From a dead stop, when I floor it, my tires will break loose just barely enough then gain grip. This is perfect and quite quick. Any more torque and I'd just roast the tires. Any less, and acceleration would be slower. I've accomplished this with a Ktuner Stage 2 base map AND a lighter weight wheel/tire combo.

If you look at my signature and my 1/4 mile slip (And are familiar with how to read it), you will notice that my 60ft times are much better than most manual trannied turbo Civics, Si's and definitely high torque Type Rs. Lag or not, my CVT gets the jump on them from a dead stop. From a roll, a little less so but you get the point. I currently only have a Ktuner Base map and a downpipe installed. That's it! I'd have more to say on this but I have a few more tricks up my sleeve to mess with the Type R peeps. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your CVT.

Bucd

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sports Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to come back to this thread and say thanks to everyone that's posted here with helping me decide on what to get. I went with ktuner and did stage 2 dual tune. 2017 HB Sports Touring CVT here and as @gtman stated. We are very lucky to have these two options. I feel that everyone that has 10th gen should get one of these. I'm completely stock and the difference is remarkable. I use to do a lot of mods back in the day. But with kids now, I needed something more for the family but still fun. I didn't think I would even consider any type of tune or mods for this car but this site has changed my thoughts. Either tuner is best bang for the buck vs any bolt ons. I'd say this should be the number one mod and then you can add others later. No brainer vote for me!
Sponsored

Last edited: