Can I get to 50 MPG?

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
That's my goal. Got my 17 EXT with MT on New Year's Eve. I drive about 30K miles per year and have a 45 mile commute to work one way. Almost NO city driving. No freeway either on my routes. So it's just rural 55mph roads in gently rolling Wisconsin farm country. I also stick to the speed limits as the police around here set up traps all the time.

My last tank of gas. 400 miles on it and the computer is stating 49.5 MPG. Actual calculation was 49.3 MPG. This with temps around 40-50. So this summer I am hoping for 50.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
That's my goal. Got my 17 EXT with MT on New Year's Eve. I drive about 30K miles per year and have a 45 mile commute to work one way. Almost NO city driving. No freeway either on my routes. So it's just rural 55mph roads in gently rolling Wisconsin farm country. I also stick to the speed limits as the police around here set up traps all the time.

My last tank of gas. 400 miles on it and the computer is stating 49.5 MPG. Actual calculation was 49.3 MPG. This with temps around 40-50. So this summer I am hoping for 50.
you can inflate your tires to 36psi to help with the mpg

TenGen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 6 Speed
at this point, the car is as I got it from the dealer. I'll keep that in mind.
Tires will do alot for you, bridgestone ecopia ep422+ should help with gas mileage. I averaged 51mpg in my wifes 16 ext cvt driving about 80 miles. It can be done. That was on stock tires

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

If you are getting that at 50 degrees.. You should be questioning if you will get 60mpg in the summer. Not 50

OP
OP

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are getting that at 50 degrees.. You should be questioning if you will get 60mpg in the summer. Not 50
That would be nice. But not sure how much more I can get. My 2005 civic hybrid consistently got 53-55mph in the summer and then about 45-48 in the winter. Same driving conditions as now.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag

- Rule of thumb is 2.5% increase in mpg for each 10 deg F increase. This car is probably a little more sensitive to temperature than that so yah, 50 mpg summertime tanks should be no problem for you (i.e. once it warms up you are really going to see an improvement).
- I'm running 36 psi front and 38 psi rear. Max sidewall is 44 psi on the firestones, but the ride and highway handling will suffer.
- Steady state (level ground, no wind) numbers at 67 deg F: 50 mph = 65 mpg, 60 mph = 58 mpg, 70 mph = 49 mpg. ...however,.. traveling at lower speeds, (i.e. below 65 mph) the car will "lug into the turbo" , more so than at higher speeds (due to rolling hills, winds). So kind of good news/bad news that lower speeds may not pay off quite as well as one would hope in this car (like they would in a normally aspirated hybrid). IOW you may be able to run 60 mph instead of 55 mph and notice very little change in mpg.

Last edited:

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag

If I remember the MPG vs. MPH graph for our engine, the most efficient speed is a bit less than 55 mph, so if you're not concerned about time or drivers behind you, you can slow down and get better mileage.

crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
If I remember the MPG vs. MPH graph for our engine, the most efficient speed is a bit less than 55 mph, so if you're not concerned about time or drivers behind you, you can slow down and get better mileage.
Agreed. I came this shy of 50 mph on my 35 mile commute on all highway driving.

OP
OP

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I came this shy of 50 mph on my 35 mile commute on all highway driving.
I guess I should clarify my title. I'm hoping to AVERAGE 50 mpg on a tank of gas. Hitting 50 mpg is pretty easy for short stretches.
Fortunately, I'm generally in no hurry and one way of my commute occurs at 2 in the morning so there is NO traffic behind me. And return trip is at 1pm so no "rush" hour either. I do make it a rule not to impede traffic so I guess I'm lucky to be able to travel like this.

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I guess I should clarify my title. I'm hoping to AVERAGE 50 mpg on a tank of gas. Hitting 50 mpg is pretty easy for short stretches.
Fortunately, I'm generally in no hurry and one way of my commute occurs at 2 in the morning so there is NO traffic behind me. And return trip is at 1pm so no "rush" hour either. I do make it a rule not to impede traffic so I guess I'm lucky to be able to travel like this.
With your commute, I would "DWL" (drive with load) over those farm hills to improve your mpg. You are most likely paying a boost penalty on the upside of those hills.
So that would be 6th gear and cruise control off and lock your throttle foot to allow speed (up to 5 mph(?)) decrease as you climb the hills and a mph increase on the way down. (i.e. you could 'bracket' 55 mph -- 50 to 60 mph). I would do this with the boost gauge displayed, trying to stay out of or no more than 1 bar of boost,... you could keep the trip A mpg showing on the tablet display ,, (which I would zero out occasionally and then let run for a few miles to see how my technique/speed is working out)... I only reset trip B for the tank

/all of this while still watching out for deer, cows etc..... of course
// I cannot DWL on my commute, way to much traffic. for me it's basically 65 to 75 mph and roll with the flow

Last edited:

crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag

Here is my last summary of my MPG. I did this with ECO mode off.
Honda Civic 10th gen Can I get to 50 MPG? FullSizeRender

crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag

OK, OK that last picture was not based on reality, but the indicator flashed it for a few seconds so I had to capture it. Here is what I averaged on my trip home today at 41 degrees F.
Honda Civic 10th gen Can I get to 50 MPG? FullSizeRender-2

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
OK, OK that last picture was not based on reality, but the indicator flashed it for a few seconds so I had to capture it. Here is what I averaged on my trip home today at 41 degrees F.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Not too shabby, But I thought you said a 35 mile commute ? You're not resetting once underway for a better score are you ?? lol

rabit1111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Oh my gosh! How do you guys/gals get that high in mpg. I commute 160 RT daily (80 one way). Morning average around 40 mpg and afternoon average around 43 mpg. Today I actually got up to 45.5 mpg on my way home. I'm hoping to get at least 480 miles/tank.
Sponsored