Can Hondata improve their CVT base tunes part throttle responsiveness?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a fan of Hondata's Flashpro. It's a nice, easy to use product. Flashpro manager is fairly intuitive. The datalogging is great...

And for the most part, I like the base +6 CVT tune. I recently made some changes and upped the boost a bit and I really like it. But, there is one problem I see with the tune. The part throttle sluggishness is still there just like stock. That's a bit disappointing. The lag from light throttle to heavy throttle is still no bueno.

The competition has various adjustments to minimize this lag. Things like earlier spool and adjustable part throttle responsiveness and adjustable boost ramp.

Why doesn’t Hondata consider fixing this one area where their tunes are lacking? I mean, we’re not talking about stressing the CVT with more torque, just better low end driveability.

Hopefully, Hondata will chime in. This isn't meant as a knock of Hondata. Just some customer feedback in the hopes we can improve the product.
Sponsored

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Just bought a Hondata for the Si mt, I’m interested in this topic too as I’m considering another Hondata or going with a Ktuner for my CVT Sport.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, Hondata customer service is very lacking compared to Ktuner. To the point that I was told certain things were going to be added to the tunes and they never were. I think the lack of proactive updates is a big reason Flashpros are being sold left and right here at the forum and are being upgraded to Ktuner. I guess Hondata doesn't mind. Honestly, it feels like us CVT owners are an afterthought to Hondata. Where on the other hand, Ktuner has a ton of driveabilty enhancements for their CVT customers.

Down the road, there's not much to do other than get a Ktuner to reduce lag and improve spool up and throttle responsiveness. Ktuner feels the CVT is something they can work with where Hondata takes the approach that it's fragile. Somebody is right and somebody is wrong. I guess time will tell.

I've come to the conclusion that Hondata simply doesn't want to put in the work to make their CVT tunes more driveable. It's a shame.

Last edited:

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Unfortunately, Hondata customer service is very lacking compared to Ktuner. To the point that in I was told certain things were going to be added to the tunes and they never were. I think the lack of proactive updates is a big reason Flashpros are being sold left and right here at the forum and are being upgraded to Ktuner. I guess Hondata doesn't mind. Honestly, it feels like us CVT owners are an afterthought to Hondata. Where on the other hand, Ktuner has a ton of driveabilty enhancements for their CVT customers.

Down the road, there's not much to do other than get a Ktuner to reduce lag and improve spool up and throttle responsiveness. Ktuner feels the CVT is something they can work with where Hondata takes the approach that it's fragile. Somebody is right and somebody is wrong. I guess time will tell.

I've come to the conclusion that Hondata simply doesn't want to put in the work to make their CVT tunes more driveable. It's a shame.
Hopefully they will fix this. I am running the base +6 on the Si I flashed last night and I’m impressed. I want to get my daily driver; the CVT flashed and going soon. Leaning towards Ktuner atm

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are updates being specifically worked on for the cvt. Some will show up in the next release...
If this is true (and it's a long time coming) you will be making a lot of CVT Flashpro owners very happy.:thumbsup:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Hopefully they will fix this. I am running the base +6 on the Si I flashed last night and I’m impressed. I want to get my daily driver; the CVT flashed and going soon. Leaning towards Ktuner atm
I highly recommend flashing the +9 map and enabling scramble and improved throttle response with the mods section. My Si loved that map.

Even still, I bought a ktuner to see how it compares. I can see what everyone loves about it.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If this is true (and it's a long time coming) you will be making a lot of CVT Flashpro owners very happy.:thumbsup:
Outstanding! I went and bought another Hondata for the CVT. Currently running the +6 basemap with some minor tweaks to the boost and torque from 3500 rpm and up. Data logged a few hours worth and everything looks great. Looking forward to the next release!

On the Si/Hondata carb vehicle, I’m still running the basemap +6 but I’m looking forward to running the base +9 but it’s not showing up for me. Not sure why I’m missing the +9

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Outstanding! I went and bought another Hondata for the CVT. Currently running the +6 basemap with some minor tweaks to the boost and torque from 3500 rpm and up. Data logged a few hours worth and everything looks great. Looking forward to the next release!

On the Si/Hondata carb vehicle, I’m still running the basemap +6 but I’m looking forward to running the base +9 but it’s not showing up for me. Not sure why I’m missing the +9
What adjustments did you actually make to the boost and torque on the CVT tune?. I've made some mild adjustments as well.

dragonov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag

I have been only able to find a +6 for CVT.

dragonov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
I highly recommend flashing the +9 map and enabling scramble and improved throttle response with the mods section. My Si loved that map.

Even still, I bought a ktuner to see how it compares. I can see what everyone loves about it.
Which +9 map were you able to find for the CVT? I only see a +6.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is no +9 CVT tune. Micah mentioned it for Superfly's other vehicle, an Si.
Sponsored