Can HDS change the point were the gauge shows "zero miles left"?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone,

when my cars shows zero miles left, there are still two gallons left in the gas tank. Since I saw posts like this:

...when I fill up from about empty I've only gotten 12.3 gallons in...
It makes wonder if it's possible to reporogram or change that value with a HDS for example?

PS: I know it's not recommend to drive the gas tank empty, since it can damage the high pressure fuel pump.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@DRUSA
What do you think, do you think it's possible to adjust or recalibrate that?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
@DRUSA
What do you think, do you think it's possible to adjust or recalibrate that?
I have never seen an option to re-calibrate the fuel level sensor. The fuel range will change depending on your driving style. The gauge cluster/mpg logic is based off of the driver's habits. If they drive like a little old lady, it may read 35mpg or 350mi range (for example, 10gal tank example), if they are a lead foot it will only read like 20mpg and 200mile range on a full tank. That fuel range is assumed by the gauge cluster based on how you have been driving previously, it doesn't update in real time, it takes a few drive cycles. You can reset the logic by resetting the "trip" button on the cluster. Then it will relearn you driving habit/mpg range and be updated to reflect a more current fuel range on empty.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for looking into this.

The car relearns the remaining miles but unfortunately it doesn't relearn the zero miles left gauge. I'm doing a lot of hypermiling/granny driving and even still when refilling at zero miles left, I can only put 10 gallons into the tank. It's the same "issue" since 30k miles.

The low fuel light comes on at 10 gallons used, and the zero range is 11 gallons. The tank is 12.3, so there is still around 1.3 gallons left when you see zero miles on the range indicator. I regularly for 40-80 miles past the zero and fill up over 12 gallons.
I have went 80 miles past zero and never ran out of gas.

Last edited:

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Gas stations can differer amongst each other and depending on time of year(what additives are for that season), outside temperature, vehicle temperature and fuel temperature as well all will affect how much fuel you can put in. If you just do the math each time it’s more accurate to figure out how many miles you have left/per tank/ mpg better than the trip computer.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd say there are too many variables to create a formula and do the math all the time. That's why I asked to relearn/recalibrate the zero miles left indicator.

One gallon or a half gallon left in the fuel tank would be great when it shows zero miles left.
Sponsored