newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Hi all, I'm sure the first thought many of you had was "anyone can explain tuning - you're just changing the engine's settings in the control programming". Perhaps this is true, but grab your popcorn and hear me out. As with my other recent post, this is for fun and learning.

Starting point: I'm KTuned using TSP File. I got a recall letter saying they need to change some stuff. You've seen the letters that have been posted. I asked what to do and was given the coaching: Flash to stock, unregister the device from the ECU, execute the recall, re-register the device to the ECU, reinstall the tune, have a nice day. All of these steps make sense. However........

What is tuning, and how does it work? Follow me here: If tuning is a set of 2 columns of numbers or conditions represented by the input or output signal name (i.e. RPM for turbine spool up, gear), then the tuning file can contain as many or as little variables as needed, listed in the 2 columns. I think. Flashing another tune, or back to stock, just puts the inputs/outputs back to factory settings and life goes on.

So, in the development of the different tunes, the expert just pulls the variables he/she wants, puts in new numbers or conditions, then flashed the program to the ECU. I'm guessing the list of ALL variables is included in the flash of the ECU as the ECU is erased during the process. The TUNE is changing only those variables the author wishes changed, and all other are left alone. I'm also guessing this is NOT programming per se, meaning the program for how the car operates is NOT changed, only the information the program uses to do its job. I'm also guessing the program is IN the car and cannot be altered, or is chosen to not be altered by the tuning process. Hence the word "tuning".

Confused yet?

Now the recall is received. Does / Can the recall change the settings? Or the program? Or both? If it does, how does the tuner (the actual person) know this and account for it? The question then, can tuning undo the impact and fix of the recall in any way. OR - can the recall change the program to the point of what the variables mean (the Honda engineers would know), add new variables, delete current variables, rename them, etc. Again, if any of these conditions are created, how do the tuners at KTuner or TSP know this and alter their tunes? Do they even need to?

Sorry for the length of the note. I know the questions make sense. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I assume the tuning world and Honda would work in harmony with each other to some point. Any input or comments are welcome.
Sponsored

AllOuttaGum

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi all, I'm sure the first thought many of you had was "anyone can explain tuning - you're just changing the engine's settings in the control programming". Perhaps this is true, but grab your popcorn and hear me out. As with my other recent post, this is for fun and learning.

Starting point: I'm KTuned using TSP File. I got a recall letter saying they need to change some stuff. You've seen the letters that have been posted. I asked what to do and was given the coaching: Flash to stock, unregister the device from the ECU, execute the recall, re-register the device to the ECU, reinstall the tune, have a nice day. All of these steps make sense. However........

What is tuning, and how does it work? Follow me here: If tuning is a set of 2 columns of numbers or conditions represented by the input or output signal name (i.e. RPM for turbine spool up, gear), then the tuning file can contain as many or as little variables as needed, listed in the 2 columns. I think. Flashing another tune, or back to stock, just puts the inputs/outputs back to factory settings and life goes on.

So, in the development of the different tunes, the expert just pulls the variables he/she wants, puts in new numbers or conditions, then flashed the program to the ECU. I'm guessing the list of ALL variables is included in the flash of the ECU as the ECU is erased during the process. The TUNE is changing only those variables the author wishes changed, and all other are left alone. I'm also guessing this is NOT programming per se, meaning the program for how the car operates is NOT changed, only the information the program uses to do its job. I'm also guessing the program is IN the car and cannot be altered, or is chosen to not be altered by the tuning process. Hence the word "tuning".

Confused yet?

Now the recall is received. Does / Can the recall change the settings? Or the program? Or both? If it does, how does the tuner (the actual person) know this and account for it? The question then, can tuning undo the impact and fix of the recall in any way. OR - can the recall change the program to the point of what the variables mean (the Honda engineers would know), add new variables, delete current variables, rename them, etc. Again, if any of these conditions are created, how do the tuners at KTuner or TSP know this and alter their tunes? Do they even need to?

Sorry for the length of the note. I know the questions make sense. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I assume the tuning world and Honda would work in harmony with each other to some point. Any input or comments are welcome.
I am by no means an expert. I just feed off of the brain power of people in these forums with more experience and knowledge.

I did just read a forum yesterday that ktuner responded on, and said they have new basemaps with the new Honda flash from the TSB included if you have an si. I just searched, and don’t remember what I was searching for when reading it haha. Something about prl cobra with race maf and ktuner.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My understanding from research is that you have to flashback to stock, get the recall done, and contact @KTuner for a new base tune and/or TSP tune. It would be nice if there was a quick step by step tutorial on how to exactly proceed.

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My understanding from research is that you have to flashback to stock, get the recall done, and contact @KTuner for a new base tune and/or TSP tune. It would be nice if there was a quick step by step tutorial on how to exactly proceed.
Yep, I get the flashback steps, I hadn't read/heard about the contact KTuner / TSP part. Hopefully one of them can chime in here and maybe answer some of the other questions too! Lots to learn.

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LOL, my "dumb" question about WOT got hammered! This one, not so much. :sleep: Where have all the cowboys gone? I'd sure like to know the nuts and bolts of what's happening behind the curtain before I take the leap. [enough word play for ya?]

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
LOVE the profile pic of ALF petting a cat!!! You must be a child of the 80's!

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I would add to this but the short end is I have hondata currently and no recall notice for mine. I am unsure how you should proceed exactly with ktuner. As far as I am aware if you dont have a cvt then it should be fairly uncomplicated. only the cvt module not recognizing the older flashes (hondata) and leaving the car in limbo while flashing was the initial problem after the recall got going. That has since been remedied as shortly after within a week or two hondata released the new update with the recall binarys in place.

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi all - OK to let this thread disappear into obscurity. I thank all for the responses directed toward the tune / recall and so on.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post - I'm interested in the tuning process itself and what it actually does. I may be asking in the wrong forum and that feedback is accepted as well. Or - if anyone can direct me to a resource that would be great.
Sponsored