Can Abusing a stock car really cause issues?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
yes,but thats not abuse,chrysler products are just crappy cars.a friend had a 6 month old challenger burn down as he was pulling out of his garage.he got about 20 feet away and had to bail.
The only products Chrysler had going for them was the slant six the 727 torque flite and a few big blocks. If they didnā€™t buy AMC ( Jeep)
in the eighties they probably wouldnā€™t be a round anymore. Other than their RWD crap boxes ( thatā€™s including the pickups) most of their vehicles including Jeep are Fiats and Alfa
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
A car is not designed to run at max spec 100% of the time. Case in point is the brakes. Try stop from 100 MPH to 0 MPH (only do this in a closed track where it's safe) a few times in a short span and you'll know what brake fade feels like and do it a few more times your car won't stop and the brake will catch fire.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
the thread title says it all"abusing" a stock car.if it was good for it why would you consider it abuse?

S2kx8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic EX, 2001, 2005, 2008 S2000's, 2020 Si
Country flag
This is for a 2016 honda civic touring 1.5t CVT. My question is if a car is stock and you floor the car constantly or decide to drive like a racer will this cause any issues for the car. Note all the fluids would be frequently changed and engine is pushed only when temps reach optimal conditions. The way I have thought about it was that if a car is made to factory spec then what issues should really come up. If you floor your car there's a set limit for which is safe for the car. Civics have L mode and S mode and some people say not to use L mode frequently. Again I believe that honda would only put L mode if it was "SAFE". Yes CVT are less reliable but what are the chances you blow the CVT running stock setup. Please just looking for a discussion if my opinion is right or wrong.
Yes... anything mechanical has a service life. Just as with increased performance comes decreased reliability. Ones driving style contributes to these factors. In short, there will be a trade off in reliability when one pushes or abuses the limits of the vehicles components. Makes no difference if itā€™s a $20,000 Honda or a $300,000 Ferrari.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Everything will break if you abuse it. Even a hammer or a girlfriend.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Basic rules for cars: Drive it like you stole it and it will steal from you, drive it gently and it will treat you well.

Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Basic rules for cars: Drive it like you stole it and it will steal from you, drive it gently and it will treat you well.

Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?
"You take care of your car, it'll take care of you."
Lt. Columbo, LAPD

Honda Civic 10th gen Can Abusing a stock car really cause issues? ED3B49DD-1427-471F-949C-D84F9659E6A9

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
I blew my CVT from brake launching. Don't brake launch, its a lot more fun to get into sport Manual and hit the corners.
were you stock when you destroyed your cvt from brake launching?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a reason why car buyers avoid buying off of young males.

Yes, running your car hard WILL shorten it's life, whether it has been modified or not.
Running your car hard + performance mods is even worse. Especially with a CVT.
It's called, lack of common sense. No one is born with it anymore and it can be taught, but learned are two different things.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
There isn't a rule of thumb because I have seen exceptions on both ends.
But chances of problems increases when you abuse a car.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
Well honda reliabilty went to crap and no longer takes abuse like it did. but only thing limiting the abuse is the cvt so no brake launches or tune and I would assume abuse will not do anything major to the car. assuming that the car is maintained.
Sponsored