Can a muffler delete cause engine problems (boost leak etc.) in these cars?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
This is an update to this post: Stock Si engine boost leak at 19,000 miles? | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

But basically, the dealership got back to me after telling them on the way home my car was still having the exact same problem except this time every single warning light on the dash went off (VSA, hill start assist, check engine, oil pressure, ABS, etc.) and they said I could bring it back in but due to my modified exhaust it might void my powertrain warranty. Could a muffler delete actually cause something in the engine to break like that? Also, under Magnuson-Moss wouldn't they have to prove the muffler delete caused the issue? The rest of the car is dead stock, haven't touched the engine and all services have been done at Honda dealerships.

I don't really want to take my car back to the dealership if it's not gonna be covered under warranty. If there's really nothing I can do about this then I'll have to go back to the muffler shop and get my old mufflers put back on or something which sucks.
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A muffler delete should not void that at all or cause any issues at all, even if hypothetically you had a shit welder do it a small leak by the muffler wouldn't equate to not getting any boost

sounds like a shitty dealer to me, read your old post and saw they charged you just for inspecting it but imo i don't think they really looked it over. bring it to another honda dealer or a mechanic, i feel like you probably just have a boost leak due to a hose or something popping out of place.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I muffler delete would have nothing to do with boost, or the engine at all. They're probably hoping that you would take them at their word and not escalate the issue, because then they'd need a better argument when corporate starts asking about it.

NukeKS14

First Name
A.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 1995 240sx, '65 Cobra Repl.
Country flag
Sounds like you need to get familiar with the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from voiding a vehicle’s warranty because an aftermarket part or a part not made by the original manufacturer was installed on said vehicle. The ownus is on the dealership/mfr to PROVE your modification caused the specific damage they are trying to deny warranty claim for. E.g. they cant void a powertrain warranty because you installed an aftermarket seat etc...

A catback exhaust or muffler delete will not result in boost leak as stated. Really its time to find a different dealer and get the car looked at before real damage occurs.

If it really is a boost leak I suspect you may be running rich. Pull your dipstick and smell the oil. Does it smell fuely? If so I'd change it as a preventive measure and quit driving the car for now. Or at the very least stay out of boost. The L15s already have an issue with overfueling. Fuel saturated oil can have a lowered viscosity. Fuel washdown in the cylinders can lead to premature wear.

joe3456789

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Try a different stealership, that one is massive D**kheads.
Sponsored