Can’t shift smoothly after 1 year

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
This Si is not a smooth shifter but I like a little challenge. I was lucky back in 2005 I found out that ugly looking Scion xB was a blast to drive. It was so fun I kept it for 13 years. After I blew the head gasket I would still hop in it and drive it around the block, just to confirm to myself it was the most fun car to drive ever. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like my Si but I loved that damn xB!
Sponsored

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
This Si is not a smooth shifter but I like a little challenge. I was lucky back in 2005 I found out that ugly looking Scion xB was a blast to drive. It was so fun I kept it for 13 years. After I blew the head gasket I would still hop in it and drive it around the block, just to confirm to myself it was the most fun car to drive ever. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like my Si but I loved that damn xB!
there's something to be said about making an ugly woman your wife --- I guess

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nearing 10k miles and it feels like I'm getting some form of "crunch" when shifting to 2nd gear. I sometimes experience lockout in first. Granted this is the first manual I've driven since 2005 but regardless it feels somewhat off. Some days shifting is smooth with rev hang enabled and other days it's more smooth with it off. Regardless there's always some form of jolt like 80% of the times in the lower gears.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Good discussion on the Si shifter. My 2019 Si is the notchiest of all the Honda (and even my 2016 GTI) I've ever driven. I am not talking about the throw or the sureness of engagement. It's just too "metallic" instead of the usual Honda "buttered Teflon." I have just over 4000 miles on this baby. Second is the toughest, and second to third in low RPMs can be -- well -- notchy. I am getting the hang of it, but I wonder what amirza said might not be a bad option to explore. If anyone else has changed the fluid, I'd live to hear about it.

Thank you all.
I also have changed the fluid and the difference really is night and day. I also swapped the clutch line for a stainless one and upgraded the master which I noticed helps with pedal feel and more consistent engagement. Other than that I used Ktuner to delete rev hang and adjusted the padding. Now it feels super easy to shift through the gears. I shift anywhere from 2000-6500 rpm depending on how I am driving and it's nice and smooth.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
nearing 10k miles and it feels like I'm getting some form of "crunch" when shifting to 2nd gear. I sometimes experience lockout in first. Granted this is the first manual I've driven since 2005 but regardless it feels somewhat off. Some days shifting is smooth with rev hang enabled and other days it's more smooth with it off. Regardless there's always some form of jolt like 80% of the times in the lower gears.
Im fully convinced the jolt is from the terribly squishy rear motor mount that comes stock on our cars. Ive ordered perrin rmm inserts to remedy this issue. If you dont shift and use the clutch perfectly in lower gears it can feel like you are on a boat rocking in waves. The only thing that allowes that much movement is the rmm. Ill report back once its installed.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Im fully convinced the jolt is from the terribly squishy rear motor mount that comes stock on our cars. Ive ordered perrin rmm inserts to remedy this issue. If you dont shift and use the clutch perfectly in lower gears it can feel like you are on a boat rocking in waves. The only thing that allowes that much movement is the rmm. Ill report back once its installed.
The CTR RMM I installed helped with the jolt a lot. The inserts should nearly eliminate it for you but with an added cost of NVH.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My remedy was getting an Accord 2.0T Sport.....I never looked back!
Sponsored