Can’t get tire shine off of paint

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I have a 2018 EX-T sedan in White Orchid pearl.

I’ll try to make this as short as possible..

My car was dirty so I took it to a place where they hand wash cars. They washed it, dried it, applied tire shine to the tires, I paid and drove off. Had to stop at a couple places before going home... during this time I noticed the tire shine splattered behind the wheels on the fender. I thought it wasn’t a big deal, I had a 16 sedan in WOP and this happened to me before. So whatever I’ll clean it when I get home

So I get home and applied some quick detailer and wiped it off. Well the dark spots came off but then I noticed it left behind some light yellow spots on the paint. I tried scrubbing it off multiple times, won’t come off. I also tried bug and tar remover and it still won’t come off.

Does anyone know of a way to get this stuff off my paint? The car is not even a month old.. I really hope this stuff isn’t stained into my paint I’m pretty upset right now...
Sponsored

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Update:

I went back to the place that washed my car and they swear it’s the dealer’s fault. The owner told me they’ve done thousands of white cars and never had this issue

I’m assuming this could’ve been the dealer’s fault, they did apply a lot of tire shine when I first got it about 20 days ago and this is the first time I washed it.

Not really sure what to do here if this stuff can’t be removed from my paint.

And to clarify it’s not really yellow spots its more of light brow/beige spots from the tire shine.

OP
OP

alika94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Here’s a picture, it’s like this on both sides of the rear fenders behind the wheel

Honda Civic 10th gen Can’t get tire shine off of paint 9213B9A6-F88A-467E-AB2E-D9C46A9D5388

NWA CivicSi

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I would try a low abrasion hand polish to see if that works. If that doesn't do the trick, machine polish. If polishing works remember to seal the paint or wax it after. If it doesn't, you may need paint correction from a professional detailer.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
try rubbing compound. usually works on everything. just don't rub too hard. easy does it until that stuff disappears.

W1NTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.8L CVT Sedan
Country flag
Try clay bar first!

That happens when you apply a tire black that is of low quality and very liquid.

rmalford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan WOP
@alika94 I've been in this exact situation - trying bug and tar, claying, and light solvents. The dressing probably contained petroleum distillates. Be patient, I gave it 3 to 4 weeks and the stains faded completely on its own with no signs of damage. Dealer washed my car once and it was also the last time for them. Use a good quality dressing and never spray it on the tire directly. Always spray on an applicator and use it to apply.

I just realized it has been weeks since your original post. Update with your situation?

T.Silver

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This shit just happened to me. Its evil. I detailed my car and had to make an emergency run now I have weird discoloured marks on my fenders.
Ive heard multiple solutions so far but going to see what I can do to figure it out. I really don't want to buy a polishing wheel for this mf....

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
This shit just happened to me. Its evil. I detailed my car and had to make an emergency run now I have weird discoloured marks on my fenders.
Ive heard multiple solutions so far but going to see what I can do to figure it out. I really don't want to buy a polishing wheel for this mf....
A polishing wheel just makes polishing faster and easier. You can do it by hand.

T.Silver

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A polishing wheel just makes polishing faster and easier. You can do it by hand.
I hit it with a synthetic clay bar and nothings changing. The most reasonable response Ive seen for it is polishing compound or Goo Gone. But there are no other results or updates after.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I hit it with a synthetic clay bar and nothings changing. The most reasonable response Ive seen for it is polishing compound or Goo Gone. But there are no other results or updates after.
Real clay bar may do better on this specifically, or just rubbing compound with a microfiber towel/pad. Isopropyl alcohol or general purpose de-greaser may also work.

T.Silver

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Real clay bar may do better on this specifically, or just rubbing compound with a microfiber towel/pad. Isopropyl alcohol or general purpose de-greaser may also work.
Ill add those to the "try out" list. I'll try the degreasing ones first -Isopropyl then move up the aggressive ladder. Just ordered Mothers California Gold clay bar system. Im so particular about my paint/car cleanliness. And if its flawed it bugs the shit out of me endlessly.