Can’t decide between an Si or Type R

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
You're absolutely right. I'm just going to go drive home in my obnoxious looking Type R now and hate every second of it. Don't waste one second feeling bad for me though - you just go enjoy that world-class Hatchback CVT of yours and leave me to wallow in my misery.

:thumbsup:
Awwww, I struck a nerve ...

1. I never said my CVT was “world class”. Did say it’s about half the price, much more practical, looks similar, and is still fun to drive. It is.

2. Did say you won’t truly be able to consistently max out the performance as a daily driver, so a waste of money as a daily. It is.

3. Did say it looks obnoxious. 3 exhaust tips and an absurd wing that loses any of its functionality off the track. It does.

4. Did actually say I like the Type R in terms of the engineering/performance, but who cares about actual facts right?

In the meantime I’ll continue to invest the price difference on my way to early retirement, fine dine and cocktails, and travel the world. You’ll have a car designed for 13 year olds to say “Cool car!”, congrats.
Sponsored

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
In the meantime I’ll continue to invest the price difference on my way to early retirement, fine dine and cocktails, and travel the world. You’ll have a car designed for 13 year olds to say “Cool car!”, congrats.
Careful of your intended lazy bling bling lifestyle..or you won’t be retired for long

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
95%? I mean I've owned the Si for 8 months and went to a Type R - no way its 95% of the CTR even putting the CTR in comfort mode lol
Well, lets see, Both cars can:
Wind out on any twisty road with loads of smiles per mile
Have fun at a non-competitive track day
Look good at Cars and Coffee
Haul a respectable amount of groceries
Ride comfortably enough to be a daily
Compete at Autocross and TSD rallies quite favorably
Haul more than an over-night bag and a single friend on a serious road-trip
Have an excellent chance of completing said road-trip without a mechanical problem
Get modded into a unique beast of your own design

Neither car can:
Turn heads at the drag-strip
Compete well in Rally-cross (dirt tracks, that's Subie territory)

The Si can:
Qualify for a better insurance rate (according to my guy)
Get better gas-mileage

Only the CTR can:
Be a serious threat in a wheel-to-wheel race/time trial

0-60 times:
+1.2 for the CTR
1/4 mile:
+1.5 for the CTR

Depending on how you add up the pros-and-cons, that's roughly 90-95% for the Si. Its the reader's decision if the 1.5 second advantage is worth $15,000. To me it wasn't, but in 3 years I may change my mind.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Awwww, I struck a nerve ...

1. I never said my CVT was “world class”. Did say it’s about half the price, much more practical, looks similar, and is still fun to drive. It is.

2. Did say you won’t truly be able to consistently max out the performance as a daily driver, so a waste of money as a daily. It is.

3. Did say it looks obnoxious. 3 exhaust tips and an absurd wing that loses any of its functionality off the track. It does.

4. Did actually say I like the Type R in terms of the engineering/performance, but who cares about actual facts right?

So I didn't actually bother to read any of that. I was too busy enjoying the R. Have fun being bitter and alone!

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The Si is probably 65 percent of what the Type R is for $15,000 less. Sounds like the smart choice. But buying these types of cars have never been about making the smart choices.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Well, lets see, Both cars can:
Wind out on any twisty road with loads of smiles per mile
Have fun at a non-competitive track day
Look good at Cars and Coffee
Haul a respectable amount of groceries
Ride comfortably enough to be a daily
Compete at Autocross and TSD rallies quite favorably
Haul more than an over-night bag and a single friend on a serious road-trip
Have an excellent chance of completing said road-trip without a mechanical problem
Get modded into a unique beast of your own design

Neither car can:
Turn heads at the drag-strip
Compete well in Rally-cross (dirt tracks, that's Subie territory)

The Si can:
Qualify for a better insurance rate (according to my guy)
Get better gas-mileage

Only the CTR can:
Be a serious threat in a wheel-to-wheel race/time trial

0-60 times:
+1.2 for the CTR
1/4 mile:
+1.5 for the CTR

Depending on how you add up the pros-and-cons, that's roughly 90-95% for the Si. Its the reader's decision if the 1.5 second advantage is worth $15,000. To me it wasn't, but in 3 years I may change my mind.
Type R and Since insurance is the same but I think it varies per.company

People.dont buy the Type R for the dragstrip

Easy to say on paper. Drive a Type R and you'll feel the difference. (Not fighting, I loved.my si!)

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Type R and Since insurance is the same but I think it varies per.company

People.dont buy the Type R for the dragstrip

Easy to say on paper. Drive a Type R and you'll feel the difference. (Not fighting, I loved.my si!)
I'm not disagreeing that the CTR is a better performer, the question is whether the difference is enough to justify the added expense. Everyone is going to have a different view on that.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
He is right about one thing. The kids are crazy for my setup. They literally hang off the car and want a drive in it. Like they say, “it’s like no other car on the road” uncle. The kids know cool, the adults not so much with their age and lifes hang ups
Some people grow old before their time. There are postings where people didn't buy a red or blue car because they thought they were too old, or were told they were too old. I just don't understand that.

WingKing76

Embrace the Grind, Because the Grind is Real!!!
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Si all day!!!!!!

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Currently in the market for a new car. A little background: My current daily driver is a 2014 RAM 1500.. it’s a V8 that gets 13-18 mpg, but I’m sure I average like 10 mpg. All paid off. My monthly gas expense is $400. Besides that, parking it is a pain. Maneuvering it is aggravating. I actually hate driving it now and drive my wife’s 2016 Grand Cherokee whenever I get the chance. My first car that I drove for 7 years and always had fun driving was a 2007 Jetta. I realized I miss the nimbleness of a car, and being able to cruise around without constantly staring at my gas tank. So I’m trading in this big mistake.

The new Civic Si has everything I’m looking for. I’m also looking at a new WRX or GTI. But these brand new Civics are getting praised everywhere, and I actually like the way they look. Good fuel economy, fun to drive, lots of features for the price. Admittedly, I would add a ktuner to get more fun out of it, but it seems like a quick and fun daily driver.

My problem is that I saw the Type R and I just have this big urge to buy it. Currently, there are 5 or 6 around me that are at MSRP. But still, it’s $10k more. And fuel economy is worse, although still significantly better than my truck’s frowns per gallon. I’m not going to track it, but the on demand power is always welcome. And as I’m doing my research, all I keep reading is wow this car is f’in amazing.

I am fully aware that the Si just makes the most sense. I’m just afraid that I’ll buy the Si and even though I can tune it and add some bolt-ons it will never be a Type R. On the other hand, I’m afraid that if I cave in and buy the Type R, it’ll be a situation where I’m not using it to its full potential and I could’ve used part of that extra $10k spent on Si mods to make it more fun, and pocketed the rest.

Thoughts? Why did you decide to buy the Si over the R, or the R over the Si?

(By the way, either car would be fully paid off, so no monthly payments either way)
I originally was considering the CTR in 2017. The dealer did not have any, and told me it would be at least $ 10 K over sticker when it came in, and they were not going to be handing out test drives unless someone showed them the money. They did, however have the SI in, I saw it, drove it, bought it. Would it be cool to have another 100 horses and even better handling? Yes. But as a daily driver, versus a pure track car, the Si is the better car. Better mileage, tire cost / wear, brake wear, lower insurance, etc. And the fact is, it is such a blast to drive that I don't feel like I settled. There is a saying that covers this: 'It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.' And the SI is not slow by any means, just not as quick as the Type R. Passing is never an issue, and the handling is legit. Brakes are great. And the adaptive dampers make a huge difference. You can mod it - but you don't have to in order to enjoy driving it. If this is going to be a weekend track toy, by all means get the Type R. But otherwise, the SI may work. And just know that if you need to you can tweak it nicely for less than half of the '$10,000' you mention. I mean, how much is a Hondata or other tune, racing brake pads, a couple of Acuity kits for the clutch spacing and shift knob, etc. ? Surely not anywhere near that much. Of course if you are dead set on extensively modding your SI, then yes you might as well just get the Type R and have world class performance from the start. And a valid warranty. A lot of people ignore the risk of warranty denials on modded vehicles. You will love the car either way you go. I have owned many fun cars over the last 43 years, and the SI is still one of my all time favorites. And for an all around car, nothing touches it. Much respect for your excellent taste.
Sponsored