Can’t decide between an Si or Type R

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a similar debate, but in the end I realized I wouldn’t have the opportunity to drive the CTR to its full potential often enough to justify the 15K price difference.

In other words, I concluded the Si can do 95% percent of what the CTR can, for 15k less. That’s a lot of similes per mile. I’ve only had the car 2 weeks, but it’s just a delight to drive.
95%? I mean I've owned the Si for 8 months and went to a Type R - no way its 95% of the CTR even putting the CTR in comfort mode lol

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
"I wish I would have bought an Si instead of a Type R"

- said nobody, ever​
Though it's a way more capable machine, there's no way that thought wouldn't cross my mind if I had to look at a Type R everyday. I find the back of my Si to be bad enough. Beside the way they look, the Si is a great car and the Type R is an incredible car.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
95%? I mean I've owned the Si for 8 months and went to a Type R - no way its 95% of the CTR even putting the CTR in comfort mode lol
I've never driven (or even rode in) a Type R, but I have to admit... I cringed when I saw @Browncoat3000's post... I agree. I think that maybe the Si is 60-70% what the R is. Proportional to the price. My brother has a Focus RS and its on a different level than my Si; just as the Type R would be.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
If you are not tracking the Type R it is a waste of money and for every “thumbs up” you get there’s even more people making fun of you’re obnoxious looking car stuck in traffic with them

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Buy the Si, invest the difference, buy a real sports car (Porsche 718/911, GTR) later

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
Buy the Si, invest the difference, buy a real sports car (Porsche 718/911, GTR) later
That's a little harsh. Some people like to daily drive their sports car and the Type R is far more practical than those options. Other than the ridiculous wheel and tire choice from the factory and slightly worse fuel economy, I'd venture the Type R is a better daily than the Si due to the versatility of the hatch.

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In your scenario, it sounds like the Si would better suit you. I have spent quite some time behind the wheel of both cars (since both an Si and CTR are in my garage haha) and honestly, both are amazing cars. If you are seeking a performance car and MPG but don't feel comfortable with that large price gap between the cars, buy an Si and install Ktuner. It really wakes these cars up and you don't sacrifice the great highway MPG. Perhaps test drive both and see if the R is worth that extra chunk of change to you

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
If you are not tracking the Type R it is a waste of money and for every “thumbs up” you get there’s even more people making fun of you’re obnoxious looking car stuck in traffic with them
Perhaps it's not as black and white as you think. When my car isn't sitting in the garage, it's ripping through the winding mountain roads of WV, being driven as it's meant to be. There's no "stuck in traffic" where I live, and I've gotten nothing but love from others who have seen the car. Just because you consider it a waste of money, does not mean that's the case for everyone.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
You're absolutely right. I'm just going to go drive home in my obnoxious looking Type R now and hate every second of it. Don't waste one second feeling bad for me though - you just go enjoy that world-class Hatchback CVT of yours and leave me to wallow in my misery.

:thumbsup:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
People have to stop worrying about what others think. If you like it, why does it matter what others think? Everyone also seems to think the only way you can enjoy a car is when your at the "track". Not everyone's enjoyment comes from beating on the car at the track.

I do somewhat agree but disagree on the buy a real sports car quote. I would love a 718 GTS. Or better yet, i might just go for a 981 GT4. Actually want to get one in the hopefully near future but i'll still keep the CTR as a daily driver.

But those car you mentioned being your only car is not going to work for alot of people. No space, can't carry family around, very high cost of ownership, etc. The list goes on.
Some people might not have the extra space for 2 cars and your only choice is to have one so why not choose one that gives you some enjoyment when you are driving it.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
The Type R is a real sports car. It plays in the same circles and could hand the ass of sports cars even higher in price

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Lol seems like you've got something against the Si, did an Si take you to gapple-bees or something? Lol. It seems like every chance you get to throw some shade at the Si you jump at it. Dont worry, it'll be okay coo1rim, breathe.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
Lol seems like you've got something against the Si, did an Si take you to gapple-bees or something? Lol. It seems like every chance you get to throw some shade at the Si you jump at it. Dont worry, it'll be okay coo1rim, breathe.
He is right about one thing. The kids are crazy for my setup. They literally hang off the car and want a drive in it. Like they say, “it’s like no other car on the road” uncle. The kids know cool, the adults not so much with their age and lifes hang ups
Sponsored