Can’t decide between an Si or Type R

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Having owned both, they drive like completely different cars. One is not simply an upgraded version of the other, and visa versa. They sound different, feel different, have different gearing, and have very different power bands.

Both are great cars, but for different reasons. My advice is to drive both and get the one you like better.
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
Saïd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring White Pearl
Country flag
So I’m trading in this big mistake.
If I were you I would never ever trade in the truck (or anything that has an engine and wheels or wings or wtv), you would get so much more money by selling it by yourself on a website such as autotrader, especially if its well maintained, has a clean carproof and if you have all your maintenance bills. The car dealership is gonna make a 5 or 6K on your back easily if you go for the trade in...

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
I was in a very similar boat except I didn't trade in my gas guzzler. My other vehicle is a 18 JL JEEP Rubicon. With 35s it gets about 14 mpg and is a beating driving in Dallas highway traffic. Plus I travel a lot with work (like to other states) which I prefer to drive.
So long story short, I'm super happy to be in the SI Coupe. Great MPG and it feels fast AF compared to my JEEP.
Luckily the only dealer at the time with a Type R was a dick about the price. Personally I'm happier in the SI.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I was in a similar situation as you and went Si. I could have done the CTR. But having come from a daily driven 270 WHP hatch, I knew what the tradeoffs would be. The biggest expense will be tires, followed by fuel costs, then insurance (depending on where you live). You can mitigate some of the cost by downgrading to smaller diameter wheels. But you will sacrifice steering response and feedback due to increased sidewall flex.

Vandalism was also a concern for me. But the nail in the coffin was the absence of the 5th seat and sunroof.

Compared to the R, my only gripes with the Si are the buzzy powertrain, rev hang, and boost delay. The 1.5 is configured more towards efficiency, which numbs the character just a bit. And no amount of tuning can overcome it. It's simply a displacement issue, despite being able to tune out most of the rev hang and boost delay.

All that said, the Si is still an incredibly entertaining and well-balanced car for the price. And one I picked over the GTI/Golf R, Hyundai Sport, Cooper S/JCW, WRX/STI, and Focus ST/RS.

I agree with earlier recommendations... test drive both. They are both purpose-built for very different reasons. GL.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
R + $1K on smaller wheels if you've potholes in your commute. Si + ECU tuner and gas and laugh your way to the bank. Imagine taking a stack (a bag?) of one dollar bills worth $15k to the bank. :)

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Car & Driver did a 10 Best Cars for 2019 article in the Jan 2019 issue. One section was on the Civic Sport/Si/Type R. They liked all 3 versions, but did say "By striking an ideal middle ground between the model's pragmatic roots and it's performance pinnacle, the Si's value exceeds that of much of its sport-minded competition, including the more costly Subaru WRX and Volkswagen Golf GTI." It did 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and .97 g on the skidpad.

It sounds like the Si is a terrific value. I'm all for a 306HP Civic, but not sure if it's worth the extra $10K. I suggest you take an Si for a test drive, it might be the best bang-for-the-buck out there.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My opinion is, if you are not going to take the car to the track, the Type R is just for poseurs.

There is almost nowhere on public roads to safely open up a 3,000 pound, 300 horsepower car with high-spec suspension and brakes.
I guess no one should be dailying WRX STIs or Focus RSes then, oh and definitely not the new Veloster N either... might as well have bought a boring Golf R then.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I guess no one should be dailying WRX STIs or Focus RSes then, oh and definitely not the new Veloster N either... might as well have bought a boring Golf R then.
I agree - his statement about the R being a waste if you don't track it is just ridiculous. Nothing is a waste if it brings you enjoyment.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It sounds like the Si is a terrific value. I'm all for a 306HP Civic, but not sure if it's worth the extra $10K. I suggest you take an Si for a test drive, it might be the best bang-for-the-buck out there.
I think the SI is a good car but power isn't the only difference when debating if it's worth the extra 10k.

Yeah don't forget about those M2/3s also. Oh, and cars like the SS 1LE camaros too. people who use those cars as a daily must be poseurs because there isn't anywhere on the public road where you can open it up safely. We all need to just daily boring cars like camry, accords, corollas.

people don't realize there is more to a car than just driving it at it's limits.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a buddy who just picked up a BMW M3 CS new. Literally no one NEEDS that car, especially not for $100K. But it’s well within his financial means, and he’s over the moon about the car, so who cares about practicality?

BallisticSquid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback, 2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have a buddy who just picked up a BMW M3 CS new. Literally no one NEEDS that car, especially not for $100K. But it’s well within his financial means, and he’s over the moon about the car, so who cares about practicality?
Exactly...you can't take it with you so may as well enjoy it while you can. Not every decision has to be about practicality assuming you can afford it.
Sponsored